How many rounds is enough?

Drop a nice near earth object in the water and Tsunamis become very real. NEOs scare me a lot more than durkas... and there often isn't a damned thing that can be done.

-Mike

There's a study of the La Palma volcano in the Canary islands that says an eruption could cause the mountain to slide into the water and cause an east coast killer tsunami. It seems a real longshot though. Probably only possible source of an East Coast killer is a meteor, yeah.

There's a study of the La Palma volcano in the Canary islands that says an eruption could cause the mountain to slide into the water and cause an east coast killer tsunami. It seems a real longshot though. Probably only possible source of an East Coast killer is a meteor, yeah.

Don't give the bad guys any ideas. Next thing you know they'll be using nature against us instead of planes.

The great thing about these threads is that at least a handful of those reading it will realize they don't have enough ammo stocked, and will go out today and buy some. That is a beautiful thing.

Things that cause ammo to not be available... Shootings, new laws, bans, panic buying, politicians, sanctions, economic trouble, economic collapse, various SHTF scenarios.

I ask myself, in any of the above circumstances do I have enough ammo to regularly train to keep myself sharp, to have my wife and kids regularly train, to share with friends and family?

I shoot 5.45x39 so I have already experienced a new law banning the cheap imports of 7N6, sanctions against Russia, and therefore price inflation by more than 100%. I wish I bought more 2 years ago when it was $0.09 per round.

Anyone who likes plinking .22lr with their kids should have had a stockpile to get through the shortage we experienced a few years ago.

So yeah, I need more!

If SHTF, i just want all the ammo permit guys on my team.

[rolleyes]

I know it's much funnier that way but getting a permit for 1,200# of ammo that clearly isn't going mobile in SHTF does not preclude a capacity for training and survival.

If I needed to be mobile in SHTF I'm pretty sure a .50 cal can of .22 is the only stockpile coming with.

I know it's much funnier that way but getting a permit for 1,200# of ammo that clearly isn't going mobile in SHTF does not preclude a capacity for training and survival.

If I needed to be mobile in SHTF I'm pretty sure a .50 cal can of .22 is the only stockpile coming with.

Only .22? Thats very risky.

Drop a nice near earth object in the water and Tsunamis become very real. NEOs scare me a lot more than durkas... and there often isn't a damned thing that can be done.

-Mike

I don't buy the likelihood of that happening. I'd venture the odds are even worse than my winning the powerball and I don't even gamble!

I agree that you won't get enough warning to get out of the way of something like that. I vividly recall the videos shown of what happened in the Far East.

No but it exhibits a lack of independent mindset and fortitude, how are you supposed to rely on someone in tough times if they are so scared of bullshit authority that they won't defy some bullshit permitting requirement? Really dude? A permit for ammunition? Do you need to get a permit if you have too many gas cans for your lawn mower in your basement too? **** your ****ing permits and cavalier attitude about it. The founding fathers signed their names on the Declaration of Independence literally ensuring they were getting liberty, or death upon the conclusion of the revolutionary war that is the type of conviction I will choose to associate with in hard times. Piss on the nanny state and their goddamn permits.

No but it exhibits a lack of independent mindset and fortitude, how are you supposed to rely on someone in tough times if they are so scared of bullshit authority that they won't defy some bullshit permitting requirement? Really dude? A permit for ammunition? Do you need to get a permit if you have too many gas cans for your lawn mower in your basement too? **** your ****ing permits and cavalier attitude about it. The founding fathers signed their names on the Declaration of Independence literally ensuring they were getting liberty, or death upon the conclusion of the revolutionary war that is the type of conviction I will choose to associate with in hard times. Piss on the nanny state and their goddamn permits.

There are risks I am willing to take and risks that I am not. I don't view a fire permit as such a huge oppression that you clearly do. There are plenty of worse things to worry about that impact your life far more than this.

Associate with whom you like, it doesn't impact me nor my life.

As for the .22 - 9mm - 5.56 argument for bugout: How far are you really going to get with a couple hundred rounds?

If you aren't practicing malfunctions regularly then a misfire might trip you up but that's why we practice right?

Last edited:
Thankfully I don't live near enough to a coast to worry about a tsunami (are they even possible off the East Coast?). As for nuclear fallout . . . as a trained nuclear engineer who worked on both subs and commercial plants (meaning crawling around hot reactors), I want to be right under the nuclear bomb that is dropped! Suffering from radiation poisoning is a terrible death that makes cancer look good, so going instantly is my preference and I'm serious about that. As for forest fires, thanks to the many contractors who believe in stripping the land before building homes, there isn't much "forest" near enough to make this a real concern.

In the event of the nuclear fallout scenario, like you said, I'm only going to need one round. [sad2]

Thankfully I don't live near enough to a coast to worry about a tsunami (are they even possible off the East Coast?). As for nuclear fallout . . . as a trained nuclear engineer who worked on both subs and commercial plants (meaning crawling around hot reactors), I want to be right under the nuclear bomb that is dropped! Suffering from radiation poisoning is a terrible death that makes cancer look good, so going instantly is my preference and I'm serious about that. As for forest fires, thanks to the many contractors who believe in stripping the land before building homes, there isn't much "forest" near enough to make this a real concern.
You can borrow my Geiger counter if you want.

There are risks I am willing to take and risks that I am not. I don't view a fire permit as such a huge oppression that you clearly do. There are plenty of worse things to worry about that impact your life far more than this.

Associate with whom you like, it doesn't impact me nor my life.

As for the .22 - 9mm - 5.56 argument for bugout: How far are you really going to get with a couple hundred rounds?

If you aren't practicing malfunctions regularly then a misfire might trip you up but that's why we practice right?

So you don't think it's oppressive, discriminatory, and downright bullshit that it's ok to keep several 5 gallon cans of gasoline in your basement, but you need a special permission slip for your ammo can of jammomatic .22LR? Come on dude I liked you more than this.

As for the caliber thing, I have to disagree again, how far do I plan to get with a couple hundred rounds is invalid, how far do you plan on getting with a couple thousand of 22lr? It goes back to my previous post, all this ammo #'s stuff is stupid because in a real shootout the odds of you, one man against enough people to need that much ammo, expending that much ammo, without taking effective return fire is unrealistic. Basic load out, 4-8 30 round mags in a reliable carbine, is going to solve your problems, if not youre gonna be dead anyways without a team of people supporting you.

Last edited:
I'm a 9mm guy and a .22lr.

My round of choice is .22lr. I can throw 2 bricks in a backpack and barely notice the weight. With my light rifle I can do head shots all day long at 100 yards and hit a paper plate at 200. That's more than enough for the woods in NE where you are lucky if you have a clear shot 60 yards away.

Anyway...most people can barely hit a target that is not moving after taking all the time in the world to aim, whatever your choice, make sure you can actually hit something.

I like the 22 also. I can carry a lot of it easily, probably 1000 rds, I have both very accurate rifles and hand guns chambered in it and there is virtually no target re-acquisition on followup shots.

So you don't think it's oppressive, discriminatory, and downright bullshit that it's ok to keep several 5 gallon cans of gasoline in your basement, but you need a special permission slip for your ammo can of jammomatic .22LR? Come on dude I liked you more than this.

As for the caliber thing, I have to disagree again, how far do I plan to get with a couple hundred rounds is invalid, how far do you plan on getting with a couple thousand of 22lr? It goes back to my previous post, all this ammo #'s stuff is stupid because in a real shootout the odds of you, one man against enough people to need that much ammo, expending that much ammo, without taking effective return fire is unrealistic. Basic load out, 4-8 30 round mags in a reliable carbine, is going to solve your problems, if not youre gonna be dead anyways without a team of people supporting you.

The same can be said for getting a permission slip from big daddy in order to have a barrel 1 inch under 16. Arbitrary laws....arbitrary laws everywhere. Follow them if you feel you must. I'd say pick and choose as you feel comfortable.

Last edited:
I would think a permit tells the FD to just evacuate your neighbors and let your house burn down.

This. I have to admit this has crossed my mind, along with limiting my exposure to any town/state/fed radar.

Thankfully I don't need any permits as I like to keep my total on hand ammo count to under 1k rounds at all times.

Not this.

Snacks, I agree that it is oppressive. My point was that in the grand scheme of things, an FD permit is low on the scale of oppression.

Stop lights, speed traps, volvos, Prius, dog licenses, sales tax, income tax, excise tax, tolls, etc. are all higher on my list of .gov oppression than a fire permit that is almost as easy as the one I need to burn brush in the spring.

I think I am going to get a permit, to get a permit which allows me to get a permit, but then I am going to be afraid to actually do the thing our generous masters allowed me to do because I don't want to get in trouble or anything...

Snacks, I agree that it is oppressive. My point was that in the grand scheme of things, an FD permit is low on the scale of oppression.

Stop lights, speed traps, volvos, Prius, dog licenses, sales tax, income tax, excise tax, tolls, etc. are all higher on my list of .gov oppression than a fire permit that is almost as easy as the one I need to burn brush in the spring.

I'd say pick and choose as you feel comfortable.

Also, I see nothing wrong with having under 1000k of handgun ammo if your handgun only fits a specific, specialized role in your SHTF plan.

This thread has gotten me thinking of getting more 300blk, 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 though.

Last edited:

+1 I think the desire to have thousands of rounds for SHTF comes from watching zombie movies where the bad guys never shoot back.

But here's a not unlikely scenario = liberal president goes after guns as the economy slides into depression, bans all kinds of ammo. This bans goes on for years, as you use up your supply practicing, not wanting or (in a depression) not able to afford $2/round for 5.56. Then SHTF or society collapses and you're stuck with your dwindling supply.

So stock up now while stuff is reasonably priced.

I'd say pick and choose as you feel comfortable.

Right. If you have dealt with a total loss scenario with an insurance company, anything that would allow them to deny a claim is fair game. I couldn't recover from a total loss of my house and all valuables. Therefore an FD permit is a small hoop to jump through.

As for the caliber debate... Who ****ing knows. .22 is light and easy to travel with so you could take a fairly large supply with you. Both 9mm and 5.56 are more powerful but severely limit your quantities (both weigh about 2.7# per 100). As you pointed out, does it matter how many rounds you can carry if you don't survive the first 12 hours?

I like the 22 also. I can carry a lot of it easily, probably 1000 rds, I have both very accurate rifles and hand guns chambered in it and there is virtually no target re-acquisition on followup shots.

how reliable are your .22s? I have a Sig 522 and a PPQ in .22, I wouldn't trust either one with my life, too many FTF, FTE etc.

Your theory is ok for 1 engagement. What about the second, or third, or?

how reliable are your .22s? I have a Sig 522 and a PPQ in .22, I wouldn't trust either one with my life, too many FTF, FTE etc.

I keep my Marlin 60 well lubed around the bolt and it can go through a entire brick without jamming, the thing rock and rolls. Wenth through 300 a few weeks ago in NH when I was with some friends.

I cant remember the last time I had a feed or any other issue with my 10/22's or MK series pistols. With quality ammo, they cycle flawlessly. Plinking ammo will occasionally have duds but I have a pretty good stash of CCI higher end stuff and it always goes bang. I can carry a lot of it and have enough reliable guns that shoot it to outfit the family.

I like it because I can put 10rds or more , rapid fire, into a head sized space at 100 yards consistently. I cant do that with a large caliber gun. I am old enough that shooting at anything beyond 100 yards is a dream, especially if it is moving. Targets at 100 or 200 yards are easy for a lot of people but you already know where they are and what distance they are at. This will not be the case in a SHTF situation, when you are shooting at moving targets at unknown distances, which personally I don't think will ever happen but I am lightly prepared for it.

Back
Top Bottom