how many round do you pack when conceal carry? [NOT GAY]

To those who keep a box of ammo in the car - why?

Why not?

Howz many bullitz du your clipz hold?

My stripper clips hold 10, my magazines hold 30. My handgun mags hold 14.

For me, 2 extra mags on the opposite side helps distribute the weight. It's a comfort thing, not a firepower issue.

Ahhhh.... finally someone with experience. Thank you sir!

One quote I've never heard: "I wish I had less ammo on me"...

There you go!

Actually I can think of a great reason to bring an extra box of ammo in the car. You go to the range

My carry load with 2 spares is 37 rounds. (capacity is 42) I rotate my carry ammo frequently. I fire my carry ammo at the range and reload the mags.

Muzzle up or muzzle forward...

This segemt seems to totally miss the point on reloading 'in your workspace'. I'm not an operator but my understanding is...this is not for 'speed'. First it keeps your head up, you should be looking past your gun at the threat and using your peripheral vision to help guide your hand with the new magazine. I can understand the range safety aspect, but doesn't this fall into train as you fight?

The whole thing about this video is the assumption that, as an armed citizen, you will never have to reload during a gunfight. He comes right out and says as much.

I don't have any strong feelings on this discussion either way, I figure everyone should do what they're comfortable with and there's no reason to try to change anyone's mind. But, I am curious, have you ever heard a non-LEO, after a justified shooting, say "I'm glad I had that extra mag"?

Not out loud, at least until after the inevitable (assuming Mass) trial.

If you want to go full retard on that thought process 90% of us here could probably rationalize not carrying a gun at
all, based on risk profiles, etc. Everyone's perception of risk is different, etc. Are these perceptions realistic? Probably
not, in most cases. Everyone is going to have their own slightly different worldview about something.

I know people that roll with an AR, a plate carrier with 6 mags in it, and at least a medical blowout kit at all times in their car
as well as carrying a handgun. I know people who keep a gun in the bathroom when they take a shower. Determining whether their reasoning is "valid or not" is simply not my place. The less we give a shit about things that don't actually affect us, the better off we all are. [laugh]

Actually I can think of a great reason to bring an extra box of ammo in the car. You go to the range and you accidentally
blasted off your carry ammo. Having that one box held in reserve isn't terrible.

Think about it like having a legit piss jug with a cap in the trunk of your car. It may sit there for years unused but that one moment when you need a piss jug, it sure beats pissing into a used coffee cup or something like that.

-Mike

Agree. But even in the most improbable scenarios it makes more sense to store ammunition in magazines vs boxes.

S&W Shield. 8 + 1 in the chamber and second magazine. 17 total. I also carry a 3.5" lock knife. If I need more than that I guess I'm really in the shit.

Pretty much the same. Sometimes I will drop an extra mag in the right side hand warmer pocket of my jacket, but that is as much to keep it from blowing open as it is for the extra ammo. There is a Surefire in the left pocket, so it balances things out.

I guess you’re right. I don’t know, I stopped caring about those kinds of laws.

I didn't mention it in the Karen sense (You HAVE to keep you ammo in the original boxes or you're going to HELL!).

It was more along the lines of, our laws are so ridiculous...

There's a web site out there, listing stupid laws and among them is one that was (supposedly) never repealed, requiring a lantern bearer to walk 100 yards in front of your motor vehicle.

I don’t think anyone is laughing. I’m just trying to understand what you envision happening. So the government falls, Canada loses their mind and invades us, zombies rise from the dead and start roaming the land. Is the extra 50+ bullets you have now been keeping on you for years going to actually do anything, and if so, how? Why just limit yourself to some extra rounds, why not keep some grenades in there too? In what possible situation would you need a box of ammo to defend your life, but not a shotgun, and then why not carry one of those too?
Clips? Hand Grenades?
Are you a troll? because some of the things you are saying make you sound like a troll.

I think the most I could carry would be with my FN 57... 21 in the gun 2x 20 in the shoulder holster and 2x 20 mags in each pocket... That would be 141 rounds... too bad I left it in PA because all my mags for it are illegal in MA... and if I’m going to be limited to 10 round mags I’ll take .45 ACP over 5.7x25...

Keeping ammo in mags is illegal? or you talking about the MA ammo storage CMR stuff that basically absolutely nobody obeys, ever. [rofl]

-Mike

Yes, I was talking about the MA ammo storage CMR stuff that basically absolutely nobody obeys, ever, including myself [laugh]

By the letter of the law (or at least the letter of the regulations), it's illegal to store ammo other than in the original containers and those secured in a locked container.

If you follow that rule, you'll not only be in strict compliance with the law, but you'll be the only person in the state that is, except possibly whoever I was responding to with that.

Yes, I was talking about the MA ammo storage CMR stuff that basically absolutely nobody obeys, ever, including myself [laugh]

By the letter of the law (or at least the letter of the regulations), it's illegal to store ammo other than in the original containers and those secured in a locked container.

If you follow that rule, you'll not only be in strict compliance with the law, but you'll be the only person in the state that is, except possibly whoever I was responding to with that.

I think that CMR only applies to dwellings and shit like that, though. So your car in the driveway can have as much loose ammunition in it as you
want. The joke I used to posit- "Oh it's only about dwellings? Get an old shitty car and park it in the yard. Put it in the shade and store like 30,000 primers in there and many pounds of powder. Profit. " [rofl]

-Mike

I think that CMR only applies to dwellings and shit like that, though. So your car in the driveway can have as much loose ammunition in it as you
want. The joke I used to posit- "Oh it's only about dwellings? Get an old shitty car and park it in the yard. Put it in the shade and store like 30,000 primers in there and many pounds of powder. Profit. " [rofl]

-Mike

Hmmm. You're probably correct.

These were dirt cheap on the gov liquidation site a while back:

1586812558260.png

Kind of kicking myself now for not picking one up. It would be perfect for that. Plus, they look cool.

(M332 Ammo trailer)

Pennsylvania State Law requires you, while driving at night, to stop every mile and send up a rocket flare.

Missouri prohibits the transport of un-caged bears in passenger cars.

Massachusetts requires ammo (stored in a dwelling!) to be kept in the original containers and locked up.

In Wisconsin, it is illegal to eat ice cream at a counter, on Sunday. (The law appears to be silent on Sunday Sundaes)

I hope this clears up any confusion or discomfort my earlier post may have caused.

Good talk. :D

Muzzle up or muzzle forward...

This segemt seems to totally miss the point on reloading 'in your workspace'. I'm not an operator but my understanding is...this is not for 'speed'. First it keeps your head up, you should be looking past your gun at the threat and using your peripheral vision to help guide your hand with the new magazine. I can understand the range safety aspect, but doesn't this fall into train as you fight?

I've come to the conclusion this is a 'cool factor' the 'they' can teach. For the better part of 20 years, I never reloaded 'in my workspace'. All of a sudden, it's the new fad. If you do any training at all, it should be second nature to index your magazine and it goes right where you need it to. It's not faster, it's not anything better, it just looks cool. If I have a malfunction, I'm diving for cover and dealing with it there. Once the gun is cleared, I'm back to business as needed.

I've had a few beers today, flame all you want. I doubt you'll change my mind.

Back
Top Bottom