How long should I wait? Should I call?

So I applied for my LTC at the beginning of October. Process wasn't bad at all. Here we are in the 2nd week of November and no phone call. They did say it might be a *few* months. Wondering if I should call just to "touch base". There are a few events (such as Appleseed) that I may want to participate in. Thoughts?

I would give it 2 more weeks at least. It sounds like you are at less than or around a month. 6 weeks is a good turnaround time and you are likely looking at 2 months.

If you want to participate in an appleseed contact that event's coordinator or PM dwarven1 on NES here and just say you are waiting for your permit. I am sure someone would be happy to lend you the rifle.

Just went for my renewal, told me to expect 6-8 weeks with the hunting season rush.

My renewal took almost four months. With this long a wait (I have heard several such complaints from several MA towns) I think that the "Grace Period" should be extended to at least six months. Perhaps this is a job for GOAL.

My renewal took almost four months. With this long a wait (I have heard several such complaints from several MA towns) I think that the "Grace Period" should be extended to at least six months. Perhaps this is a job for GOAL.

With everything on the computers it should not take them so long to renew, no excuses, it's all there already. I love the BS excuse of "it's hunting season" What a crock.

So I applied for my LTC at the beginning of October. Process wasn't bad at all. Here we are in the 2nd week of November and no phone call. They did say it might be a *few* months. Wondering if I should call just to "touch base". There are a few events (such as Appleseed) that I may want to participate in. Thoughts?

I filled my app out and they said "we'll call u". Three weeks later they called. One week after that they took my fingerprints and picture. TWO MONTHS after that I got my class A in the mail. From what I've been told they have 40 days after sending in your app to get you your permit. The chief may send them in once a week or once a month. IMHO, I would wait until after Thanksgiving to give them a call.

Got it!! Class A no restrictions!!! :) now I just need to figure out what I want. I'm a female and have really small hands so have to check some out a friend suggested a walther p99.

Not sure if you'd consider a revolver, but the Ruger LCR is NICE! I have not had the pleasure of shooting one, but the trigger is unlike any DA revolver trigger I've tried. Buttery.

Congratulations!

When you're out looking at guns, make sure you handle the mid size and full size guns too. I have a female friend with tiny hands... and her favorite handgun of mine to shoot was the mid sized Sig 229. She actually didn't like the smaller handguns like I thought she would (Glock 26, Sig 239, etc). Try them all out. You never know what you'll like.

Got it!! Class A no restrictions!!! :) now I just need to figure out what I want. I'm a female and have really small hands so have to check some out a friend suggested a walther p99.

The title of this thread had me thinking of the days when I'd meet some chick at a bar, get her # and then try to figure out how long I should wait before calling her without looking like a desperate toolbag. [laugh]

Congrats on your 1st LTC! Have you considered getting a .22 for practice?

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations! I can't wait to buy my first one. I've fired 1911's, glocks, sigs, etc. I just don't remember which was my favorite. I'm sure once I buy my first one I'll buy another one right after. I tend to have an addictive personality ;) Although I want a smaller carry pistol for my first time. :)

Good for you! Hit a few shops and see what fits your hands. If you can get to a range with someone who has an assortment of guns you could try that would also be beneficial. Be safe and have fun.

I'd recommend making a trip up to Manchester Firing line and renting some guns. Once you have found the gun that feels right in your hand, try it in different calibers to see what you shoot best.

Also, the best advice I have ever recieved on this forum was to get some training/ take some courses. Like anything else, some good instruction goes a loooong way.

Congrats on the new license. Shoot often

I'd recommend making a trip up to Manchester Firing line and renting some guns. Once you have found the gun that feels right in your hand, try it in different calibers to see what you shoot best.

This is what I did, place is phenomenal. I thought I wanted a M&P Sub compact but after my trip I hated it. I spent almost 200 bucks (includes ammo time and rental). If you rent there guns you have to buy there ammo. Understandable but I went through 4 guns and 400 rounds, prob almost 2 hours. Well worth it. Now I own the 2 guns I liked best. Also if you plan on a PPS definitely get a range gun. The PPS .40 I found wasn't comfortable shooting 100 rounds. .40's have more kick in the hands than the 9mm does but its light and concealable it just beat up on my big hands more than I care for.

Congrats BTW [thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom