• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

See this is bulllshit, Because my girlfriends LTC app/interview was done on valentines day so they should have got it no later than the 21st.

Read the sticky that lens posted up its about the licensing process. And for the date that's on the dcjis site that's for applications that have been sent to the state from the pd after the pd has run their checks.

it's all set and sent back to the police dept

I'm waiting on my renewal, I called the state and was told they give out no information whatsoever about a persons licence. Plymouth has generally has a good reputation, and is a self described shall issue town. I tend to think it's the state that is the problem, at least until there is more evidence.

Either way this needs to change.

LenS, i feel like i already am squeaking. And isnt my representative a elected offical for my city? I dont know what else to do. Cops can do whatever they want, and i have been trying to ride the fine line of letting them know im still here and aware that it shouldnt take this long and being respectful enough to not aggravate them to the point of them never giving it to me.

Check out this thread for an example of what I sent to my City Councilor. I'm not sure I posted the final version, but it should give you a starting point. I don't know if it helped, but I did eventually get my license. I wrote another version for the mayor, but my license came before I could send it.

Look i appreciate the advice, but i feel like i wrote something just as good to my rep. And here it is.

Representative Stephen Smith,

Hello my name is Andre xxxxx and I am a current resident of Everett. Prior to living in Everett I spent 30 years in Revere, where much like you, I was taught that hard work and being a person of good standing and proper morals would eventually pay off. I currently am married to my wonderful wife Mrs. Julie xxxxx. Both of us are working full time while attending Salem State University. Julie is working on attaining her Masters Degree in Social Work and I am finishing my Bachelors Degree in Computer Science. We have wonderful families, which combined have more than 50 years in the Greater Boston/North Shore area. We hope to continue our lives in this area by eventually buying a home and starting a family.
With that, I write to you in hopes of obtaining a better understanding of why the rights of law abiding citizens seem mishandled. Specifically, I am concerned with our 2nd Amendment rights. I have been in the process of trying to obtain my firearms permit since September 19, 2011. At that time my attempts to meet with the licensing officer began but it was not until November 9, 2011 that the licensing officer actually met, interviewed, and began processing my application. Now, March 20, 2012, I still have not received my permit. I have been made aware by the licensing officer that the Everett Police Department is under-staffed and the licensing officer is not given adequate time to process the applications. I am curious as to why there is not a definitive system in place to provide a time frame to applicants regarding when to expect the permit.
During the six months I have been waiting, I called the Everett Police Department twice in the hopes of receiving information on the status of my application. During the first call I was informed that my application status was “in process.” Two months later, I was initially told that I should have received my permit by now. After a brief period of being placed on hold while the officer obtained further information, I was then told that the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services, Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) has not processed November 2011 applicants yet. The FRB website ( HYPERLINK "http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/dcjis/" http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/dcjis/) states that as of March 9, 2012 the FRB is currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments during the week of February 19, 2012. I do not want to assume that I am being misled by the Everett Police Department, but it is obvious that one of these departments is being deceitful. I would just like to know the truth as my check has already been cashed. I would rather know that Everett Police Department takes over six months to process firearms licenses than continuously be told to wait. By not having any information, how am I to know if the permit was lost in the mail, denied, or just being delayed due to the lack of staff or a definitive system? I feel that I have the right to this information.
While I fear that this letter may harm my possibility of having my application processed and thrown to the bottom of the pile, I could not sit idle knowing that my rights are being disrespected by our local government. It is my knowledge that surrounding communities, such as Revere, Chelsea and even Boston, process their applications more efficiently than Everett. I would appreciate any help or information that you could provide me.

Thank you for your attention to this matter,

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

This is the kind of post that makes me wonder WTF is going on with my town however.

To be fair, the licensing officer in my town had called me to let me know to expect a delay. He said that there were a lot of applicants so things were backlogged at the state level, and it appears that I may have just luckily snuck into someone's in-pile.

One thing I've wondered about is how these apps are processed at the state level. Is it a careerist paper pusher who processes the applications before sending the cards out for print, or is the review done by appointed people (appointed by the AG or elected officials)? I could see why the latter would drag their feet, but it doesn't seem like careerists would have the incentive or desire.

To be fair, the licensing officer in my town had called me to let me know to expect a delay. He said that there were a lot of applicants so things were backlogged at the state level, and it appears that I may have just luckily snuck into someone's in-pile.

One thing I've wondered about is how these apps are processed at the state level. Is it a careerist paper pusher who processes the applications before sending the cards out for print, or is the review done by appointed people (appointed by the AG or elected officials)? I could see why the latter would drag their feet, but it doesn't seem like careerists would have the incentive or desire.

Why is Burlingtons applications being processed before some city/town that claimed they sent theirs in months ago ?

Shouldn't the state be processing them on a first-come first-served basic ?

Probably because, like my example, my application was supposedly sent in november, but who's to know if the pd in my city actually did. Mine is probably still sitting on someones desk in everett. Thats why it doesnt get to me before someone who applied in march

UPDATE:
I waited a total of 6 months in Medford when I finally gave up on leaving messages and sending letters to the licensing officer. I wrote a letter to my state reps and sent it in the mail on Monday (3/12), got an email from a staffer from my state senator on Wednesday (3/14), he pestered the Medford Chief of Police on my behalf, who then emailed me to apologize Wednesday afternoon, I got a call from the licensing officer on Thursday (3/15) and met with him that same day. He was very nice and apologetic. Both he and the Chief said they are under staffed and way behind. The licensing officer took me through the process and said he would send it out the following day. Provided everything checks out on my application he said I should get my LTC unrestricted in about a month via mail.

I thought another update was worthwhile since it appears as though my letters to my rep's office and their follow-through may have actually sparked change in Medford's policy. Previously, Medford residents were expected to stuff their application into a box in the lobby filled with who knows how many other apps. Then we had to wait months to hear back in order to interview, take the photos, fingerprint, etc. Now it looks like those turning in apps can do so on designated days during the week and get immediate service as evidenced by this new post on their website.

NOTE NEW GUN PERMIT PROCEDURE - Only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays between 11am-7pm you can come to the station with your completed applications and check and see Det. William Mulcahy to get initially processed. Medford PD will no longer accept "DROPPED OFF APPLICATIONS".

I haven't received my ltc-a in the mail yet, but the licensing officer said he would send it right away so I should give it a month. That was about 3 weeks ago.

But, see, writing to your rep makes a difference!!! Just remember to be coherent and polite and they will work with you.

@dcmaximus, a few posts back you will see my letter, i felt i was polite. Hasnt done a thing for me.

Not trying to be critical, just helpful.

I was taught that when writing a letter, your first paragraph should tell them what you want THEM to do for you, next paragraph gives reasons, last paragraph asks for action again.

You gave your life history, make allusion to someone being deceitful (true but won't help) and asking for honesty in letting them tell you it will take 6+ months. I'm sure this is not the answer you want, but you could have cut it shorter and to the point, basically demanding that they get your permit thru the process post-haste and not giving them weasel-ways out.

Good luck.

@dcmaximus, a few posts back you will see my letter, i felt i was polite. Hasnt done a thing for me.

One thing my reps assistant told me he appreciated about my letter was that I took care to mention that I wasn't accusing anyone of denying my 2a rights yet, only that I was disappointed with the unprofessionalism from the police department as a tax paying citizen.

LenS if felt that history is important though, and just like this politician touts on his website, about being down to earth and from the area.

And dcmaximus, i rode the fine line of trying not to, i asked for a definitive system rather than a guessing game.

From the sounds of it, you guys think this letter will not work. I was trying to portray in that letter to my rep that i was not just any idiot trying to get a gun. I think thats important.

Anyways thanks for the help... to late now though because its already been sent. My senator posted office hours that he will be at my city hall, so i may be going by there monday to speak in person, ill try what you guys said in person, see how that goes.

My renewal showed up today, which is couple days over 12 weeks and corresponds exactly with what our licensing person told me when I called. To me, this says that my town (Plymouth) was not the hold up, but as I thought originally it is the state which must be doing them in some batch orders that are not easily predictable by us.

My renewal showed up today, which is couple days over 12 weeks and corresponds exactly with what our licensing person told me when I called. To me, this says that my town (Plymouth) was not the hold up, but as I thought originally it is the state which must be doing them in some batch orders that are not easily predictable by us.

I assume the renewal came from the Plymouth PD, and not directly from the state office so it may still be possible that the PD held it up. Of course, there could possibly be two queues at the state level, with one for new applicants and another for renewals.

Either way, glad you're good to go now.

I'm in Marlborough - there are 2 sergeants that handle licensing appointments. I've had a call into one since Monday and haven't been able to get in touch with him. The other told me he was too busy and to try again in two weeks.

Any suggestions? I haven't dropped my app off yet, was thinking I could bring with appointment, should I drop it off while I continue to deal with this?

I assume the renewal came from the Plymouth PD, and not directly from the state office so it may still be possible that the PD held it up. Of course, there could possibly be two queues at the state level, with one for new applicants and another for renewals.

Either way, glad you're good to go now.

It did, I'm just saying the sequence of events lined up with the licencing official in Plymouth told me to expect when I called and asked, and did not line up with what the state had posted or what I was told when I called them. I'm pretty sure things go in batches either way, and a lot of the discrepancy is probably due to ending up on the tail end of one batch or first in the pile of the next. In this wondrous modern technological age though the times these things are taking makes no sense. I say this as an IT worker who deals with large chunks of encrypted data.

Back
Top Bottom