How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Just picked up mine!! informed it was in 7 weeks 6 days, but wouldn't be ready for pickup the next day, so picked it up 8 weeks to the day.
LTC-A Restrictions: None. Shutesbury.

9 weeks in Reading. Its been a few weeks since I received the LTC in the mail (mailed from Reading PD), they still haven't cashed the check. The clearing date of the check can't be used as a status indicator.

Prop taxes, vehicle excise taxes & water bill checks are all cleared one business day after I drop them off. My parking sticker (paid at the PD) was cashed in about 2 weeks.

Hey Chuck,

(i'm not asking to be a jerk, but just curious) How does that make you feel that you're restricted? I don't think i would mind. Also, have you don't research- in 6 years when you're up for renewal are you likely to get "no restrictions" ?

I honestly. Don't mind that much to make a big stink about it but I would hav e rathered non restricted,and yes actually the LO told me the chief is out in a couple years and the expected replacment doesn't look to make any changes. Ill just have to wait and see. Good luck.

I can't understand why they have to "interview" you prior to submitting everything. I should be able to hand the paperwork in, they in turn cash the check and submit the application for all the background and mental health checks. Once they get it back and have determined that we are not disqualified, they should be calling us in for the interview and determining what restrictions, if any, to put on.

I understand the local police departments are busy and understaffed, but this process is the least efficient way to do it IMHO.

I suppose that ultimately, they shouldn't even need to interview anyone. They don't interview you to find out if you are going to use your drivers license for work or for commuting to school or just going to get groceries (and driving is a privilege, not a right).

I can't understand why they have to "interview" you prior to submitting everything. I should be able to hand the paperwork in, they in turn cash the check and submit the application for all the background and mental health checks. Once they get it back and have determined that we are not disqualified, they should be calling us in for the interview and determining what restrictions, if any, to put on.

I understand the local police departments are busy and understaffed, but this process is the least efficient way to do it IMHO.

I suppose that ultimately, they shouldn't even need to interview anyone. They don't interview you to find out if you are going to use your drivers license for work or for commuting to school or just going to get groceries (and driving is a privilege, not a right).

My "interview" consisted of me meeting with the LO, sitting in his office, waiting for him to type all of my info into his computer while listening to classic rock, and also getting my picture taken with his webcam. And of course, fingerprinting too. He didn't ask me anything other than making sure that I brought everything I was supposed to. The "interview" varies across police stations.

Where are you in South Shore?

Just got off the phone with the LO, I was expecting to hear something along the lines off “We sent it to DCJIS a week ago and are just waiting to get it back”, but apparently they are still waiting on my prints and DMH check. I called last week and heard nothing so when I got him on the phone today he said “Oh, I thought I called and left you a voicemail”. I'm really starting to get annoyed (as if I wasn’t already). I passed in my App 2/6, got my photos and prints 3/14, and from what he just told me I'm in for at least another 3 or 4 week wait IF everything goes smoothly from here. Granted I know it’s not nearly as bad as some towns (9 months is crazy) but still, it really can’t be that hard to get this stuff done.

Last edited:
My "interview" consisted of me meeting with the LO, sitting in his office, waiting for him to type all of my info into his computer while listening to classic rock, and also getting my picture taken with his webcam. And of course, fingerprinting too. He didn't ask me anything other than making sure that I brought everything I was supposed to. The "interview" varies across police stations.

Where are you in South Shore?

My interview was the same. We were just shooting the shiz, kicking it, laying back, just chillin', and that was my interview...

My interview was the same. We were just shooting the shiz, kicking it, laying back, just chillin', and that was my interview...

Same here actually, although next to impossible to get in touch with, the LO is a really nice guy. Didn't ask me really anything other why I don’t have a cell phone, and then proceeded to tell me how I must the only person in town without one. No questions about why I wanted my LTC or anything of the sort. I think this just shows how some towns PDs are power tripping big time, or just extremely ignorant.

Just got off the phone with the LO, I was expecting to hear something along the lines off “We sent it to DCJIS a week ago and are just waiting to get it back”, but apparently they are still waiting on my prints and DMH check. I called last week and heard nothing so when I got him on the phone today he said “Oh, I thought I called and left you a voicemail”. I'm really starting to get annoyed (as if I wasn’t already). I passed in my App 2/6, got my photos and prints 3/14, and from what he just told me I'm in for at least another 3 or 4 week wait IF everything goes smoothly from here. Granted I know it’s not nearly as bad as some towns (9 months is crazy) but still, it really can’t be that hard to get this stuff done.

Hang in there SIG. This wait does suck and it is a bit ridiculous. I got a pregnant wife at home so we're taking everything week-by-week... Just like this.

Knock up your girlfriend. That'll soften the blow that is ltc license

Yes, South Shore (I won't mention my town until I get my LTC... but I will say it is on the GREEN list). [grin]

The LO has been extremely nice and has explained everything to me very well and I understand they have real problems to deal with on a limited staff, but I paid my $100 and have all my ducks and paperwork in a row. How long does it really take to get this interview/fingerprinting done?
It could be worse, a friend of mine put his application in a week before me and was told he would be called for his interview around June 6 (and he is a green town as well).

Going on 9 weeks 1 day for my girlfriend in a green town, (Rehoboth).

Would living in a previous state make the process longer?

It shouldn't, assuming her record is squeaky clean. A III smokes out all the activity in any state for a given person. If they need to "interpret" the results (terminology is different from state to state), that would add time to the equation . . . but unless the record is 10 pages long and filled with foreign (to MA) hieroglyphics, it shouldn't take 9 weeks!

I'm in a green town too... Met with the L.O. On Feb 8 and I'm still waiting too - 10 weeks and 1 day. I wonder if the out of state thing has anything to do with it. I also lived out of state.

Not even a parking ticket Len.

We submitted the Application on Valentines day (true love I know). She called at 6 1/2 weeks they said it's taking 8 weeks. Not sure what the issue is. I'm going to have her call today if she doesn't get it in the mail today.

Len, I know they have to call the DMH in Massachusetts, do they also have to call DMH in other states she lived in? As I'm sure that would take quite some time.

First impressions, but I'm not surprised that she's squeaky clean.

No PD seems to put a "high priority" on processing gun permits. It takes time and it is a "back and forth" motion between PD and state for each "check list item" before it gets issued.

Queries to MA DMH is done via Email between LO and DMH, so if it gets buried in the in-box, it might languish there until the LO finds it (response) again.

Good question on other states, my guess is yes and I have no idea if that unduly delays the process. My Wife and I lived in CT for 3 years, reported that and never hit a real delay because of that.

Based off of what a lot of people here are saying, I am starting to think it is the state at this point. It seems pretty much everyone that applied within a week of when I got my interview (Feb 14th) is still waiting. Considering my LO told me he was still waiting on my BG and DMH check yesterday (5 weeks to the day of the interview), the state level seems to be where the backup is right now. That is unless all these towns are in cahoots just to keep NESers from having fun!

And also like LenS said, I am starting to realize that LTCs are not something at the top of most PDs lists. Add that to the equation and I’m sure it delays it even more.

9 weeks 1 day.
WORCESTER (red town)
NOOO RESTRICTIONS!!!!!!!!
guy at the gunstore asked if i called in a favor. gotta bring my gun back to him. didnt' notice my front sight was a bit too far to the left till after 100 rounds.

Worcester took quite awhile... Moved here last June, and started the process in July. Took the basic firearms class through the Worcester PD, and once I received the certificate, I signed up for the interview/application. They were completely booked for at least 2 months. Once the day finally arrived and I was able to turn in the application/get printed/etc, it took a solid 10+ weeks.
Basically, started the process in July, and received my LTC-A, No restrictions on November 14th. Almost a 4 month process.

Pittsfield, MA
9 Weeks 1 Day
LTC A Restrictions: None

Interview - 2/16
Check Cashed - 2/29
Received In Mail - 4/20

Congrats! They've picked it up some. A bunch of us applied at the end of last year and were around the 4 month mark. Happy shopping, I think Dave's is open the latest today.

Well I just passed 40 business days last week and haven't heard anything. Do I call and ask for an update tomorrow or should I wait it out another week?

Back
Top Bottom