How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

My friend called for an appointment today in Beverly, he was told November 12th is the next open day to apply/interview. Also not allowed to pre-fill out the application before the interview.

You should not need a new set of fingerprints once you have submitted a set with your original application. Once your prints are on file, they are on file for subsequent renewals.

Yup...

MGL 140-131(l) said:
The taking of fingerprints shall not be required in issuing the renewal of a license if the renewal applicant's fingerprints are on file with the department of the state police.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131

It has been only a week since I submitted my application and was fingerprinted/interviewed. I'm going to wait 6 weeks until September 26th that's when I'm going to call Everett PD and check the status

My friend called for an appointment today in Beverly, he was told November 12th is the next open day to apply/interview. Also not allowed to pre-fill out the application before the interview.

I assume you mean that you can't fill out the form and drop it off before that date.

There is NO WAY IN HELL that I'd walk into a PD, sit down and answer all the questions off-the-cuff and in my case I have absolutely no record to worry about. I always recommend filling out the form, bring two copies and give one to whoever is data-inputting for you. Then compare your copy to the MIRCS print-out and do not sign it unless they are identical . . . it's your ass on the line for any mistakes they make that could later be claimed as a lie/perjury.

I live in Walpole.

Submitted a completed application and check on July 5, just before going on a 2 week vacation to Detroit where I grew up. In Walpole, the PD requires a copy of birth certificate, which I didn't have. The claim is that this was for proof of citizenship, so I submitted a copy of my passport instead. This is recognized by the federal government as proof of citizenship, but nonetheless I followed up a few days later and was informed that the birth cert would be required. Luckily I was in my hometown and just went to the city hall to pick one up.

After vacation (July 19) I brought in the birth cert and had the interview with the chief. The chief was very cordial and professional. He said I was, "the perfect candidate," and instructed the administrator to put me in for an unrestricted LTC A. We filled out what I thought was the MIRCS system, took my fingerprint and picture electronically, and then a full set of fingerprints after that.

In a later status call, the administrator told me she "sent" the information to the state on July 24 (a few business days later). This makes me wonder just how that MIRCS system works, and/or whether it was actually some other system.

I have called a couple times to get an update, and was consistently told that it would take 8 weeks. Called again today and was informed that they received the background check, etc back from the state on August 20 and sent it to the FRB the same day for printing.

Based on the license printing backlog listed on the CJIS website, I'm expecting to get a call to pick up the printed license late the week of Sept 3rd.

I guess the "right" date to start counting from is my interview date, not the original application submission date. Using that as the start date, I'm expecting a total elapsed time of around 50 days (just a few days shy of the 8 weeks they told me it would take).

I'm in Pittsfield and I had to wait a couple weeks for my "interview"; then it was almost 6 weeks to the day after that that I received my LTC in the mail.

I emailed them a while back and got a phone call the next day from the Deputy Chief in my area. Because of our schedules we never connected to talk and just left messages. Long story short, he approved my application and submitted it into the state for all of their checks. It will be restricted to Target and Hunting. From what he said they have a very specific checklist that you have to meet for an unrestricted license. This is passed down by the police commissioner. A general sense of self protection is not sufficient. My advice to you is to either email or call them and ask about the interview. I found their email address right on their website. It was just the general one to the police station. When I originally applied they said it would take 3 months and I am just past 2 months now. Every time I check the mail there is this little flicker of hope that there might be something better in there than just bills.

That's good to hear. At least I know the process is moving. I am going to call and check on things. Thanks for the feed back.

- - - Updated - - -

I emailed them a while back and got a phone call the next day from the Deputy Chief in my area. Because of our schedules we never connected to talk and just left messages. Long story short, he approved my application and submitted it into the state for all of their checks. It will be restricted to Target and Hunting. From what he said they have a very specific checklist that you have to meet for an unrestricted license. This is passed down by the police commissioner. A general sense of self protection is not sufficient. My advice to you is to either email or call them and ask about the interview. I found their email address right on their website. It was just the general one to the police station. When I originally applied they said it would take 3 months and I am just past 2 months now. Every time I check the mail there is this little flicker of hope that there might be something better in there than just bills.

That's good to hear. At least I know the process is moving. I am going to call and check on things. Thanks for the feed back.

I assume you mean that you can't fill out the form and drop it off before that date.

There is NO WAY IN HELL that I'd walk into a PD, sit down and answer all the questions off-the-cuff and in my case I have absolutely no record to worry about. I always recommend filling out the form, bring two copies and give one to whoever is data-inputting for you. Then compare your copy to the MIRCS print-out and do not sign it unless they are identical . . . it's your ass on the line for any mistakes they make that could later be claimed as a lie/perjury.

I'll double check with him, but he said he couldn't fill out the application until he goes in for his appointment, i.e. not allowed to bring a filled out application to the interview or drop it off ahead of time...For a green town, seems like a lot of work, but maybe I'm spoiled, wait, I know I'm spoiled in my town.

What are they going to do, arrest him if he brings a filled out form (and copy for himself) to the interview?

Without that, it's really a "pop quiz" and I don't like that one bit.

What I think they are saying is not to drop anything off before the appointment as they won't do anything with the info and likely will lose/throw it out.

What are they going to do, arrest him if he brings a filled out form (and copy for himself) to the interview?

Without that, it's really a "pop quiz" and I don't like that one bit.

What I think they are saying is not to drop anything off before the appointment as they won't do anything with the info and likely will lose/throw it out.

Perhaps. I'm going to double check with him...seems absurd really

Here's the application. Arlington puts it on their web site. Fill it out, bring it to your interview. The worst thing they can do is make him fill out another one. As Len said, the idea that they try to turn it into a pop quizz is disturbing.

http://www.arlingtonma.gov/Public_Documents/ArlingtonMA_Police/FID_Packet.pdf

The cover letter is from the town, but app is the correct state form.

Don

Last edited:
My town only meets once a month on the 2nd Wed. of the month from 6 to 7 PM.

The thing about our Police Department is they are some good guys that don't try to sc#$% you over.

One of them called me the other day and said he was in checking the messages and that mine was in, I told him I'd be right down.

So from drop off to when I got it was 43 Days, 7/11/2012 to 8/23/2012.

Its funny, my C&R came in in about the same amount of days, that took 42 Days.

did you just get it within the last few days? i was printed and photographed at the PD around 30 days ago. gives me an idea at least.

Received a call Saturday and picked up Sunday since I was away for the weekend. License date was 8/21 - so the state issued it 31 days from my interview.

thanks. i wonder if i should call or stop by the PD. i hate to be a pest. i have not bothered them but i wonder how long an LTC might sit on someone's desk before they call. hmmm.

I doubt it is sitting on any desk - the process seemed pretty straight forward from my experience. When was your interview?

Picked mine up on Saturday Aug 25. Interview / application was on July 23. Now the shopping begins! LTC class A no restrictions.

Last edited:
Okay, so here's my Pittsfield timeline:

Application/interview (told I'd be receiving no restrictions): June 7
Call from Sue mentioning small issue, but saying it was resolved and she selected approved in MIRCS: August 8 (62 days)
LTC printed: August 22 (76 days)
LTC in hand (no restrictions): August 30 (84 days)

So all in all, twice the time they were required by law to have it to me, but only 1.5 times the time if you count when I was told I was approved. The most painful part was waiting for the license to arrive after the call on 8/8 (actually the painful part is yet to come - the part where I lose all my savings).

The FRB is reviewing and printing apps submitted around 8/17. I assume mine was submitted by the PD the first week of August. Those, according to FRB's site were reviewed and printed already. So, I have no idea and like many have stopped guessing. It is like waiting for bread to pop up in the toaster.

Back
Top Bottom