How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

You should NEVER walk out of the PD w/o a COPY of the form they submitted. In almost all cases, this is the ONLY proof you will have that you applied on time and are entitled to the 90 day grace period (for renewal [/Quote

Is the PD supposed to print something out for you, if they didnt use a paper application and had you apply on a computer?

"Supposed to" as in the law requires it . . . NO!

Should any well run PD give you a copy of what you signed under pains and penalties of perjury WITHOUT being asked? YES!!

My PD failed to give my Wife a copy of hers, but I asked for mine and the secretary gladly made me a copy and gave it to me.

The legislature rejected GOAL's attempt to pass a law REQUIRING PDs to give you a receipt for your application . . . nobody in gov't ever wants to be held accountable for anything.

I've confirmed with Jason Guida that there is no "flag" in his computer system for "in process" to validate a PD request for "why is this person CCW'g a gun with an expired LTC? Do they qualify for the 90 day grace period?" so it is on us to have that info to prevent having to defend ourselves in a courtroom (which would be expensive even if you win).

- - - Updated - - -

You can ask for a print out of the electronic form submitted? and what is the "MIRCS print-out"?

MIRCS = that electronic form they ask you to sign and the PD submits for you.

Hello All,
Anyone have any experience applying in Springfield lately? I submitted my application and got photos and prints done a few weeks. They said someone would call in a few days for the interview. No one has yet. However I also got the sense that sometimes they skip the interview. There was a certain vagueness in answers from the clerk who was doing the paperwork. I just thought I would see if anyone had any experience with them lately. Thanks.

It was the same for me. I just did the ap and prints a couple weeks ago. They said someone would call within a couple days to have a phone interview. I still haven't received a call. I was wondering if you had got any word. I'm starting to think this is a scam. They shouldn't tell you something if it's not true. I'm gonna wait a couple more weeks then go down there. I can understand the process takes a long time. They should have said the interview will take a couple weeks to get in if ever. I would have said give me my money back. Because you are jokes. Does anybody know if they just don't inform you if your denied. I mean I have never been convicted of a crime or any other disqualifying things. My cert was a little over a year old. But the woman at the desk went over all my stuff and said I should be good. I asked her to do so since I really can't afford to waste 200 dollars.

I have to agree with Bender. The only variable is the town.

The state frequently goes full retard and introduces its own delays. Yes, some bad PDs use this as a cop out or excuse, but sometimes it actually is legit.

Not that many years ago a 2+ month LTC wait in every grean town was almost par for the course because the state had some massive ****up with DMH. So everyone's licenses took forever during that period of time.

-Mike

it is the PD. i am reading a lot of horrid stories here. i dropped off the application and the Lt. called me within 48hrs. Saw me the next day. super nice. already ran some info on me by the time i went in. (all this was done for me within 48hrs). prints, etc. taken and it was a nice casual experience. i left and they cashed my check with a license # on it within a few days. i am a little over 3 weeks now and hopefully the wait is over soon.

now, this is 180 degrees different from a lot of the stuff i am reading here. the variable here is that my local PD seems to be awesome! they were helpful and seemed to really care. they even helped me fill out the application.

Could your cancelled check serve as a receipt? I made sure to make a note about what it was for on the actual check.

No, it's not proof of what you applied for, many PDs do not deposit the checks for weeks/months, checks are usually made out to "Town of Oppression" as opposed to "Oppressive Police Department" and thus could be payment for auto excise tax, water bill, trash pickup, an oil burner or burn permit, etc., many banks don't return checks and lastly you could write something unrelated in the memo area after a check clears.

The state frequently goes full retard and introduces its own delays. Yes, some bad PDs use this as a cop out or excuse, but sometimes it actually is legit.

Not that many years ago a 2+ month LTC wait in every grean town was almost par for the course because the state had some massive ****up with DMH. So everyone's licenses took forever during that period of time.

-Mike

IIRC, there was also a time when EOPS pulled employees from the unit that did the fingerprints/background check for LTCs and re-assigned them, resulting in massive state delays. I wouldn't be surprised if something like this didn't just happen again or if it's just vacation time issues.

No, it's not proof of what you applied for, many PDs do not deposit the checks for weeks/months, checks are usually made out to "Town of Oppression" as opposed to "Oppressive Police Department" and thus could be payment for auto excise tax, water bill, trash pickup, an oil burner or burn permit, etc., many banks don't return checks and lastly you could write something unrelated in the memo area after a check clears.

them, resulting in massive state delays. I wouldn't be surprised if something like this didn't just happen again or if it's just vacation time issues.

All (my) application requirements were fulfilled 9 weeks ago, today. I followed up with the firarms officer via e-mail several
weeks ago and he responded to say that the process was running "10 weeks".

Last edited by a moderator:

-Mike

How about 10 months.

IIRC, there was also a time when EOPS pulled employees from the unit that did the fingerprints/background check for LTCs and re-assigned them, resulting in massive state delays. I wouldn't be surprised if something like this didn't just happen again or if it's just vacation time issues.

How about 10 months is it fair to say the majority of that is the local pd dragging their ass?

again, i am new here, but nobody has posted the same experience or the same info given to them by their PD. there is an elephant in the room that people seem to be ignoring...it is not the state, MSP, or FRB, but the local PD. i am not "qualified" to say this for certain, but it sure seems like that when you have read hundreds of posts/pages in research. again, if they were "10 weeks" behind then how could 2 people recently get their LTCs in 23 and 33 days respectively (as recent as the last 2 months)?

again, i am new here, but nobody has posted the same experience or the same info given to them by their PD. there is an elephant in the room that people seem to be ignoring...it is not the state, MSP, or FRB, but the local PD. i am not "qualified" to say this for certain, but it sure seems like that when you have read hundreds of posts/pages in research. again, if they were "10 weeks" behind then how could 2 people recently get their LTCs in 23 and 33 days respectively (as recent as the last 2 months)?

Different Police departments clearly have their shit together and others do not. It sucks!

How about 10 months is it fair to say the majority of that is the local pd dragging their ass?

No if they were "dragging their ass" they'd get road rash. I'm very certain that they just buried yours and many others and never looked back. Sad but that's what I get from your info.

Different Police departments clearly have their shit together and others do not. It sucks!

Absolutely true.

No if they were "dragging their ass" they'd get road rash. I'm very certain that they just buried yours and many others and never looked back. Sad but that's what I get from your info.

Absolutely true.

Yea "buried" as in, the only way the can regulate how many permits they hand out is by just not processing them right away

I'm going to write in "for sexual favors" on my renewal check since they like to screw us.

The girlfriend called Worcester for an appointment this week. They told her mid October.... and thats just to get the appointment..... I'm hearing another 8 weeks once its processed.... Holy flipping bananas! It took me about 3 weeks from holden about 6 years ago.

Exactly like it. You just don't need to take a class again.

I had just always assumed that the initial process was the longest as the need for fingerprints required more time and thus an actual appointment. What is the need for an entire new set of prints once they're already in the system?

Last edited:
I had just always assumed that the initial process was the longest as the need for fingerprints required more time and thus an actual appointment. What is the need for an entire new set of prints once they're already in the system?

You should not need a new set of fingerprints once you have submitted a set with your original application. Once your prints are on file, they are on file for subsequent renewals.

I walked in for the application (expecting it to be in paper form) on 6/23 and the licensing officer processed the application right then and there. Luckily, I had a checkbook with me. Received my LTC-A yesterday; 8 weeks, 3 days. Great experience with Merrimac PD

Application was submitted back in May and that was after a 5 week wait to get the application appointment set up. So I am on 14 weeks since applying and nothing yet. So aggravating! Checked with the station 3 times and the officer seemed to be getting annoyed last time I saw him back around august 1st. Called 10 days ago and left a message and haven't heard back since. I don't know what else to do!

I need to purge my desire to read this thread because I'm beginning to grow a big hair across
my ass-in-waiting. Day ****ing 64.

Application was submitted back in May and that was after a 5 week wait to get the application appointment set up. So I am on 14 weeks since applying and nothing yet. So aggravating! Checked with the station 3 times and the officer seemed to be getting annoyed last time I saw him back around august 1st. Called 10 days ago and left a message and haven't heard back since. I don't know what else to do!

People have said that response time from the state can vary a lot based on workload and personell available. My app went in on May 9. And like I've said before. (Yeah, I know its getting annoying) I got my LTC back 33 days after that. So this is an example of two apps going in at about the same time, with drastically varying outcomes. Like I also said, I was offered an interview within 9 days of my initial contact with the PD.

People have said that response time from the state can vary a lot based on workload and personell available. My app went in on May 9. And like I've said before. (Yeah, I know its getting annoying) I got my LTC back 33 days after that. So this is an example of two apps going in at about the same time, with drastically varying outcomes. Like I also said, I was offered an interview within 9 days of my initial contact with the PD.

The officer claims he submitted it immediately and that "it's the state" that takes so long. For the record, the checked was cashed by my town back on July 29th, which is over 2 months after the initial application when the check was written out.
I'm guessing the permit came in at that time and that's when they cashed the check. Now I am just waiting for them to call, but who knows for sure......[rolleyes]

It was the same for me. I just did the ap and prints a couple weeks ago. They said someone would call within a couple days to have a phone interview. I still haven't received a call. I was wondering if you had got any word. I'm starting to think this is a scam. They shouldn't tell you something if it's not true. I'm gonna wait a couple more weeks then go down there. I can understand the process takes a long time. They should have said the interview will take a couple weeks to get in if ever. I would have said give me my money back. Because you are jokes. Does anybody know if they just don't inform you if your denied. I mean I have never been convicted of a crime or any other disqualifying things. My cert was a little over a year old. But the woman at the desk went over all my stuff and said I should be good. I asked her to do so since I really can't afford to waste 200 dollars.

I emailed them a while back and got a phone call the next day from the Deputy Chief in my area. Because of our schedules we never connected to talk and just left messages. Long story short, he approved my application and submitted it into the state for all of their checks. It will be restricted to Target and Hunting. From what he said they have a very specific checklist that you have to meet for an unrestricted license. This is passed down by the police commissioner. A general sense of self protection is not sufficient. My advice to you is to either email or call them and ask about the interview. I found their email address right on their website. It was just the general one to the police station. When I originally applied they said it would take 3 months and I am just past 2 months now. Every time I check the mail there is this little flicker of hope that there might be something better in there than just bills.

time and time again, as i read, it is the PD. i know it is annoying to hear, but there is NO WAY the state processes some people in 20-33 days and others in many months. makes no sense. the state (well, the MSP, FRB, etc.) just gets 'em and processes one at a time. who do you think sends it to them? some batch them, some don't. some are Green and others Red. you just have to be lucky to live in a town with a very good PD that truly cares about "you."

...in a small town you are a person. in a large city, you are a number.

Back
Top Bottom