How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

My town is booking interrogations (I mean interviews) 4 months out and telling people to expect another 2 months after that before they see their LTC (these are renewals).

Did my renewal last week. Have to wait until 30 days or less before you can renew. I went there with everything filled out but didn't need it. No questions asked, just signed two pieces of paper, took picture and was out in probably 5 minutes. He said I should have the new one in about 4 weeks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Soooo... I had my appointment to hand in my application and get photographed/fingerprinted on 7/29. They were supposed to call me to set up a interview with the LEO but I haven't heard from them since. A few weeks ago I even went in just to see if I can set up an interview and was told that they were just busy and backed up but would give me a call...still no word. I don't want to pester them in fear of being sent to the bottom of the basket but this is getting ridiculous and was wondering what my best course of action would be? This is in Lexington, for Class A, first time applicant.

Seems like Lexington has gone the Red road. I would personally give them another call and see if they have a time frame. Be polite, but persistent in getting an interview date/time.
It's almost two months, there's no reason they can't set up an interview.

Seems like Lexington has gone the Red road. I would personally give them another call and see if they have a time frame. Be polite, but persistent in getting an interview date/time.
It's almost two months, there's no reason they can't set up an interview.

This seems so passive aggressive and administrative denial by slow / mishandled paperwork.

I would have thought they would have printed / photoed AFTER the interview or as part of the process. Did they take your $100 already as well?

This seems so passive aggressive and administrative denial by slow / mishandled paperwork.

I would have thought they would have printed / photoed AFTER the interview or as part of the process. Did they take your $100 already as well?

Unless it's like my town where the interview IS photo and fingerprint. In that case, if they've taken the money, you're probably all set. Call FRB and see if your application is in the system - 6176604722.

I just got mine in Westford. My experience was a very pleasant one. I love my town!

When I first called them to request my license, my "interview" was scheduled about three weeks out. On my appointment day, I went into the Westford PD for picture, prints, payment, and I received my unrestricted license in the mail 64 days later.

Unless it's like my town where the interview IS photo and fingerprint. In that case, if they've taken the money, you're probably all set. Call FRB and see if your application is in the system - 6176604722.

That was the case with my town, though I did have really good rec letters since they required those be submitted with the application.

That was the case with my town, though I did have really good rec letters since they required those be submitted with the application.

Yeah I handed in my application with the $100 and my letters of recommendations (which I had a surplus of and they only wanted 2 out of about 5 I had ready). They told me at that time that in Lexington they require a interview with the Lt. in charge of licensing and that he would contact me (obviously not). I emailed the chief weeks ago who only forwarded me to this Lt. who never replied to any of my emails. I called DCJIS (is this the same as FRB?) a few weeks ago before I last stopped by to check in at the police station and they told me my application was "still in drafting at the police station".... I'm a patient person but this is ridiculous. I told the officer when handing in my application that one of the reasons for my application was for protection against legitimate and pressing concerns relating to my family's safety. They may feel like I can wait, which I can, but my family's safety can not.

Norton
7 months
I was told that it would be about 4 months
They send batches at the time and until everyone of them is done they don't comeback

Dracut

Filled out form in PD on July 29th.

Interview was on August 10th.

Call to pick up was on Oct 2nd.

Total time 66 days from first time I filled out the form in the PD. 53 days from date of interview. LTC no restrictions.

Update On my LTC in Lexington.

Called DCJIS who told me my application (taken along with photographs and fingerprints on 7/29) was still in drafting at the department. I chose to swing by and got lucky when the Lt. in charge of licensing was there. He took me right then and there for a interview and at the end told me they would be accepting my application and that I should have my LTC A with a sporting restriction (which I'm okay with) within a month! Which I was told could be taken off if I ever felt the desire aswell.

Called DCJIS who told me my application (taken along with photographs and fingerprints on 7/29) was still in drafting at the department. I chose to swing by and got lucky when the Lt. in charge of licensing was there. He took me right then and there for a interview and at the end told me they would be accepting my application and that I should have my LTC A with a sporting restriction (which I'm okay with) within a month! Which I was told could be taken off if I ever felt the desire aswell.

Good deal. Curious why you're okay with a sporting restriction? Even if you don't plan to carry concealed, it's nice to have the option, especially when transporting in a car.

Good deal. Curious why you're okay with a sporting restriction? Even if you don't plan to carry concealed, it's nice to have the option, especially when transporting in a car.

^ This. Restrictions just get you in trouble for simple things

Rules and regs are bad enough as it is without being handicapped by other pablum

. . . and one's intention today may well be very different within the 6 years that the LTC is valid.

Also paying for filet mignon and accepting hamburger instead doesn't make sense to me.

By accepting the restriction, you're condoning the limit placed on yours and others constitutional rights.

. . . and one's intention today may well be very different within the 6 years that the LTC is valid.

Also paying for filet mignon and accepting hamburger instead doesn't make sense to me.

By accepting the restriction, you're condoning the limit placed on yours and others constitutional rights.

^ This. Restrictions just get you in trouble for simple things

Rules and regs are bad enough as it is without being handicapped by other pablum

Thats fair enough. I was put to ease when he told me it was almost like a trial run and that anytime my stance changed I could call and set up a request to have the restriction lifted. I may call him on tuesday and see what I can do now that I think about it though.. I guess I was okay with it considering I am very young, only a year and some over the minimum requirement and have little recognized firearm experience other than boyscouts (lol). So I went into the meeting with reserved expectations as the vibe I 've gotten from Lexington and the police department was that they were majority anti-gun. In all honesty I had accepted the possibility of being denied altogether as my MSF instructor told me it may be difficult given my age and town. It is a good point that my views and feelings towards CC may change over the years though (currently where I live I don't feel the need to carry in public, but may like the option to do so in my car..), hopefully they honor what he said about allowing me to change it "if I feel the need". I am in boston frequently for school and work though, where I park off campus, and would like the option to carry only in my car. Is that something I could get in trouble for with my sporting restriction?

I want to thank this forum though for all the super helpful information. The majority of my family is what you may call anti 2nd amendment, so I started with zero knowledge on this stuff and got the majority of my guidance on the subject from this site. All things considered I probably wouldn't have any license at all without this forum haha. So I appreciate all the advice, I'll see what I can do regarding the Sporting Restriction.

My thoughts on your reply:
1. Shame on your instructor for telling you it would be difficult to get a permit based on your age and location. Unless you've run afoul of the law, a police department cannot deny your application without documented reason to you in writing. If you meet the minimum requirements then there's nothing you should worry about. Getting unrestricted can be difficult for sure, but not the permit itself (save for towns like Woburn or Boston proper with extra steps).

2. I would wait on changing your mind. You're already submitted and in. Changing now would seem odd to the COP I'm sure. Give it a year, do some training, get comfortable, then apply. If you do it now and get denied the upgrade, you'll always have that. After a year, most COPs are more likely to remove restrictions now that you've displayed a year of them not hearing about you.

3. What do you mean by carry in your car? If you mean unloaded in a locked box or trunk, then yes that's fine. You cannot carry outside of that unless to/from your approved activity (like the range, and even some towns don't like that). If that's what you mean, I wouldn't bother unless you're stopping off to/from the range or hunting. There's nothing about a locked, unloaded gun in your trunk that could help in a self defense situation. If you have that much time to get the gun and use it, chances are you didn't need it.

My thoughts on your reply:
1. Shame on your instructor for telling you it would be difficult to get a permit based on your age and location. Unless you've run afoul of the law, a police department cannot deny your application without documented reason to you in writing. If you meet the minimum requirements then there's nothing you should worry about. Getting unrestricted can be difficult for sure, but not the permit itself (save for towns like Woburn or Boston proper with extra steps).

2. I would wait on changing your mind. You're already submitted and in. Changing now would seem odd to the COP I'm sure. Give it a year, do some training, get comfortable, then apply. If you do it now and get denied the upgrade, you'll always have that. After a year, most COPs are more likely to remove restrictions now that you've displayed a year of them not hearing about you.

3. What do you mean by carry in your car? If you mean unloaded in a locked box or trunk, then yes that's fine. You cannot carry outside of that unless to/from your approved activity (like the range, and even some towns don't like that). If that's what you mean, I wouldn't bother unless you're stopping off to/from the range or hunting. There's nothing about a locked, unloaded gun in your trunk that could help in a self defense situation. If you have that much time to get the gun and use it, chances are you didn't need it.
For #2, it's not a new application. It's a request to the licensing authority to remove the restriction. If they say no, it is not a denial and not required to be reported on any future applications.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You mentioned going to school in Boston. Keep in mind that possession on campus is prohibited, even in your car. A friend of mine used to work at Beth Israel and he parked in a garage near Ruggles Station and took a shuttle to the hospital. He occasionally kept a gun or two in his trunk to go to the range after work until he realized that the garage is owned by Northeastern University which makes it off limits.

Wilmington , Ma first time app

8/2/16 - application submitted
8/16/16- fee paid photo and fingerprints done
10/11/16- pending review by the LO

hoping it moves along soon , the first 50 days were a breeze,
getting tougher and tougher to try and not think about it now!

Changed towns.. no more BPD.
Renewal went in on the morning of Aug 23. Was quoted about 8-10 weeks.
Northbridge - no issues putting down ALP for reason of issuance. Imagine that.. [laugh]
Moving to Billerica next month, USPS is getting plenty of money from me recently.

Northbridge LTC, no restrictions.
10/15/2016
SMELL YA LATER BOSTON

Back
Top Bottom