• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

LTC was Iissued on 02 July and arrived in the mail on 17 July. As expected, it was issued with a "Sporting" restriction. Obviously, even the ongoing federal lawsuit and pressure being placed on the city by GOAL didn't make any difference at all.

Well now you have the ability to appeal directly to District Court correct, where THEY need to explain WHY they see you needing a restriction? BTW, what was your reasoning on application?

Well now you have the ability to appeal directly to District Court correct, where THEY need to explain WHY they see you needing a restriction? BTW, what was your reasoning on application?

I didn't think you could challenge restrictions in court, but I have been wrong before. Besides, I have heard from several learned members here that even if one were to go to court over restrictions, one would find it next to impossible to get the court to overturn said restrictions as they have held time and time again that it is solely at the discretion of the COP in the issuing town.

Please, if I am mistaken in this, please let me know. Thanks.

I didn't think you could challenge restrictions in court, but I have been wrong before. Besides, I have heard from several learned members here that even if one were to go to court over restrictions, one would find it next to impossible to get the court to overturn said restrictions as they have held time and time again that it is solely at the discretion of the COP in the issuing town.

Please, if I am mistaken in this, please let me know. Thanks.

I'm sure someone will come along with a better explanation, but my current understanding is as such. You can now actually demand they give you an answer in court as to why you were restricted. They are only supposed to restrict you if they believe you might pose a public safety hazard... So all they have to do is say, "He might shoot someone on accident, I'm concerned about that." and you're done.

There is as much confusion now, as there was when the revisions/changes in the laws were first voted on and signed. Many posts claiming what the effect of the new laws would be, were based on rumor and speculation. I was disappointed in much of the outcome, as I am sure others were. Even now, misinformation, rumor, and speculation still dominate these posts.

I, for one, am still not 100% sure about some of the changes that are frequently the topic of conversation.

It appears to me that denials do not automatically put the burden of furnishing a 'reason' on any issuing authority, but merely reiterates the ability of the injured party to have his day in court. They could have done this before anyway, (and bear the expense), same as before.

As far as a reason for a restriction, I think this has changed considerably. Arbitrary, baseless restrictions may be presented to the court for judgement, again at the petitioners expense, and the issuing authority must now defend their reasoning to a greater degree. In reality this could have also been done before, but the likelihood of a favorable outcome was next to nil. This is a real advancement!

I think in this case "letter of denial" more accurately means the defendants testimony in court, under oath. The law may call for a "letter", but it has little meaning. IMHO

Just call the frb and my LTC has Been approved, activated and sent to the Plymouth PD, to be mailed out. :)

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

My daughter turned 21 in May. Applied in early June. Picked it up today.
Issued in norwood, NO restrictions.

I think I may have a LTC renewal record time..??

I had my meeting with the license officer on Friday 7/10 ( 7pm btw). He left a message yesterday on home phone that it was in...!! I picked it up on way home today ,7/28.

No changes, LTC restrictions : none
Green town, Holbrook.

Hooray! After years with a restricted license from Brookline, I now have a fancy new unrestricted license from Natick!

Applied 6/18, approved by local police on 7/17, got email today from LO that I could pick it up (he would have just mailed it, but I'm going out of town and would prefer it not sit in mailbox for 2 weeks). So 1.5 months, which is the lower end of what he quoted me.

Kind of weird, I thought Class A and B were gone and it was just LTC... But the license still says Class A. Interesting.

Last edited:
Hooray! After years with a restricted license from Brookline, I now have a fancy new unrestricted license from Natick!

Applied 6/18, approved by local police on 7/17, got email today from LO that I could pick it up (he would have just mailed it, but I'm going out of town and would prefer it not sit in mailbox for 2 weeks). So 1.5 months, which is the lower end of what he quoted me.

Kind of weird, I thought Class A and B were gone and it was just LTC... But the license still says Class A. Interesting.

Not sure when that part of the law kicks in, but Class B is gone. It's either FID or Class A.

I have an interesting case in which i could apply in both Stoughton (Green) and Boston (Red). I own a business in stoughton and i spend most of my time there. I called in early April to Stoughton PD and left a message. They did not get back to me for 5 weeks to schedule an appointment, by then I had scheduled an appt for June 4 in Boston where I Live. However, my appointment was May 29 so I cancelled my Boston one. Interesting that it took 6 weeks for even to get an appointment in Boston.

I am still waiting for my LTC-A and it should be without restrictions, however the officer said it was going to be 12-16 weeks.

Got my Stoughton License today.. No restrictions (not even for employment only). Almost 2 months to the day from the interview.

It does say my business name on the license and my address in stoughton, as well as my Boston address. Never hurts to be super honest like i was with stoughton PD.

my check was cashed on 6/16 for Mills and I'm still waiting. My LTC expired in in December and I called the town to renew in November and was told only one officer processes applications. I was put on a list and told to wait for a call, after checking in every few months I finally got called to renew on 6/4. If the check was cashed six weeks ago shouldn't I have my license by now.

Middleborough, MA
Called PD on 5/14 - automated messages gave a list of dates (once a week) that applications could be brought in and interviews done.
Brought in application and was interviewed (reviewed the application and officer put into the computer) on Monday 5/18.
I was told by the intake officer that Middleborough doesn't issue with restrictions and that I should have my license in 5-6 week - I would be called when it was in
6/11 received a call from officer to inform me that my fingerprint card was rejected and it needed to be redone (I really thought I was being called to say my license was in :/)
6/11 10 minutes after I got the call - I was at the PD and having my fingerprints redone. I asked if there was anything else I needed to do, was told 'no' we'll get this through quick for you since it's delayed
6/18 received a call from the officer telling me he forgot to have me sign the new fingerprint card and I needed to come in and do that...
6/19 went in and signed the second fingerprint card
7/6 (8 weeks / 49 days after applying) - I called DCJIS and was told "still pending approval at local PD"
7/20 - received a call from a lieutenant at Middleboro PD informing me that my license was approval and would be at the station for pick up within 2 weeks - was told I would get a phone call when it was in
8/4 - I called DCJIS and was told "APPROVED on 7/29 and was sent back to Middleborough PD"
8/5 I called PD and left a message requesting a return call with updated information
8/10 - received call back from PD saying my license was at the station
8/13 - Picked up at Middleborough PD

Total days from application to 'approved' = 72
Total days from application to 'available to pick up at station" = 84

my check was cashed on 6/16 for Mills and I'm still waiting. My LTC expired in in December and I called the town to renew in November and was told only one officer processes applications. I was put on a list and told to wait for a call, after checking in every few months I finally got called to renew on 6/4. If the check was cashed six weeks ago shouldn't I have my license by now.
Really? Hopefully you got a receipt on 6/4?

Dropped off application for new LTC 6/9
Interviewed 7/15
Picked up unrestricted LTC 8/20

Tewksbury. PD was great to work with, and all in it was half the time I was expecting. Now I have to figure out what I want to buy...

Start the clock on my wife:
Framingham
Dropped off application: 8/26/15
Told to come back tomorrow or any other Thursday following for prints & photos.

When I applied in Danvers, I never spoke to a LEO. They had me talk to some young girl who they bring in for licensing. Never asked me any questions or anything, just took my application and fingerprinted me. Two weeks and one day later, my unrestricted class A showed up in the mail.

I guess that the state got through with it three days after I applied. Danvers typically restricts and I was expecting it.

danvers took about 6 weeks for me last fall. I also spoke with the armory gal. My girlfriend got hers in 3.5 weeks from Wakefield just this past weekend. They seem to be getting quicker.

Anyone know a good lawyer? The Police are refusing to release my licence even after jumping through all their hoops including getting a licenced doctor to write a letter.

Contact Atty Jason Guida (Saugus). This is his expertise, assuming there is no valid reason for your problems with the PD.

FYI I finally got a call from Millis PD, they claim to have the wrong number and my license had been ready to pick up "for a while". My old LTC was sport and target only so at this point I am just happy to have no restrictions!!

So, I'm going to take a step out here for my girlfriend with no criminal record of any sort. We took our gun class together, She submitted an application in person to her police department in FEBRUARY. It took over a month for an interview, a phone call after 4 months to the firearms bureau indicated her application was requested transferred back. It is now September, with no license in sight, she's handling this far, far better than I would, and pops in to the police for a checkup and hints at the 40d law and obviously gets nowhere. Is there another step to push things along? 7 months is a slap in the face.

So, I'm going to take a step out here for my girlfriend with no criminal record of any sort. We took our gun class together, She submitted an application in person to her police department in FEBRUARY. It took over a month for an interview, a phone call after 4 months to the firearms bureau indicated her application was requested transferred back. It is now September, with no license in sight, she's handling this far, far better than I would, and pops in to the police for a checkup and hints at the 40d law and obviously gets nowhere. Is there another step to push things along? 7 months is a slap in the face.

Yes, if no satisfaction with the PD after 7 months, a politely worded letter to the Board of Selectmen/Mayor/State Rep/State Sen oftentimes gets things moving. Many are afraid of "rocking the boat" but remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Just dropped off my renewal application in Glouceser. Licensing woman told me I should have it within 6 weeks. Took 2.5 weeks my first time applying back on 09'.

Back
Top Bottom