How do you decide what to charge when you sell your used firearm??

I can't help but notice that certain guns sell for much more used than they do new.. What justifies this?? Am I missing something??

If you WANT to sell it, select a reasonable price. Use gunboker dot com to get a ballpark idea of its value, then adjust for condtition as well as the local market for that particular model.

I only think about what it is worth to me.. IE: I have a Ruger P85 9mm that I bought for $250. It's a beet up tank. It has never failed me. I would only sell it for $600 plus. So I guess I'll keep it.

Age, collectiblity, inflation.

Age: Old means less of them surviving, therefore the less there are, the more valuable they are, generally.

Collectibility: people like certain things and will pay to get them.

Inflation: Just about any gun made 25 yrs or more ago will sell now for more than it cost.

In Massachusetts, many sellers ask for (and get) a huge premium for newer handguns that are not on the EOPS list. Generally speaking, these can be obtained only through a private sale because dealers are not allowed to transfer "non-compliant" handguns.

That's one reason why you see $800 Glocks and $2000 FN 5.7s for sale. The other reason you see them for that price is because people are goofy enough to pay it.

Some guns are hard to determine a fair price on. What you paid $300 for a few years ago could be worth $500 now.

Some sellers will sell with a "I just want what I paid for it" price. Only thing that sucks about that is sometimes you find out you just shorted yourself a few hundred bucks by selling something for well under what is considered in today's market a fair price.[crying]

I try sites like Gunbroker, and Auction Arms. Only bad thing about going that route is sometimes there isn't one listed of what you are trying to sell, or the one you do find is being sold for a crazy price.

I'm currently trying to find fair value of a 1938 Finn captured Tula arsenal Mosin Nagant 91/30.[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom