How are the Stack On safes?

Looking for a small safe, one that doesn't weigh more than me and is fire resistant. I had thought getting anything rated for fire resistance would mean a 400+ lb safe, but doing a search the 12 gun Stack On safe from Shalom Depot looks like it's at a weight me and another can handle moving and is also fire resistant. Build quality seems meh, but as long as it shuts, locks, and doesn't cook what's inside that's all I want.

If you need something now it can be an alternative. The best bet is wait for a safe sale at Tractor Supply. They have great sales every year usually around February. Keep an eye on their sales. I bought my primary safe from tractor supply and a couple years ago they had a killer sale on lock boxes so I bought a bunch of lock boxes for cars and anywhere I want to stash a gun or something valuable.

Save yourself $ 50 and go here
Tractor Supply

And their 26 gun safe is a fantastic buy also. I have one. Two peeps can move it easy. just take the door off when you move it
26 gun is too big for me rn, but the 12 gun is exactly what I'm looking for.

This is like the first time anyone on NES has recommended me the ideal thing. Congratulations.

If you need something now it can be an alternative. The best bet is wait for a safe sale at Tractor Supply. They have great sales every year usually around February. Keep an eye on their sales. I bought my primary safe from tractor supply and a couple years ago they had a killer sale on lock boxes so I bought a bunch of lock boxes for cars and anywhere I want to stash a gun or something valuable.
Not needed right now and I can wait, but probably not until Feb. How low can I expect to see the price of a the 12 gun safe go?

This is like the first time anyone on NES has recommended me the ideal thing. Congratulations.
If you have the space, get the larger safe.

I doubt anyone will disagree with me, if you have the space, that is. That 12 gun safe probably actually holds 8 with optics, if you're lucky. Want to put some pistols in there? More space tied up.

If you have the space, get the larger safe.

I doubt anyone will disagree with me, if you have the space, that is. That 12 gun safe probably actually holds 8 with optics, if you're lucky. Want to put some pistols in there? More space tied up.
More like 6 if you don't want them touching each other

They are just as good as any other residential security container with the same specs.
Neither the Stack-On nor the Winchester are RSC certified by UL, and I doubt either one would pass that test, outdated as it is. Either should suffice to meet legal requirements or provide some protection against a small fire.

When comparing price, one thing to note is that the Home Despot price includes curbside delivery, but Tractor Surprise does not.

I have one. Forget what size but I have outgrown it and need another. It works for me. I'm under no delusion that if someone wants to get in and make off with my stuff bad enough that they cant do it. But they are in for a hell of a time in doing so. As far as fire rated I dont think the stack on stuff is up to par. But that is low on my priority list.

Neither the Stack-On nor the Winchester are RSC certified by UL, and I doubt either one would pass that test, outdated as it is. Either should suffice to meet legal requirements or provide some protection against a small fire.

When comparing price, one thing to note is that the Home Despot price includes curbside delivery, but Tractor Surprise does not.

Really, Stack On and Winchester are not even rated for a RSC, or just that specific model ?

I wouldn't buy a stack on if I was concerned about fire rating or theft. Then again, I'm not concerned about fire rating or theft. My primary concern is basic locked containment to keep the kids out and the law off my back and Stack-On suffices for that. Someone who knows what they're doing and has basic tools can get in one pretty easily and if there's a significant fire it won't offer much protection.

26 gun is not too big.

I have the 12 gun, I can barely get six scoped rifles in there.

Have you ever tried to sleep 3 people in a 3 man tent? Same issue.

I can tell you right now that's not pryproof nor fire proof in any meaningful ways.
This is such a good point, the best fire rated safes are gypsum lined and even then you are only buying a little time. The only fire rating worth spending money on is a sprinkler system.

@T-Unit What is the primary concern with a larger safe? is it the weight or the size?

If your space constrained and need the smaller safe, then that one you posted and the link bolt-1 gave you would work.
You don't have to wait until Feb... They ALWAYs go on sale for black friday. And usually around 4th of July too.

Really, Stack On and Winchester are not even rated for a RSC, or just that specific model ?
As far as I know, Stack-On does not pay UL for rating any of their products. Winchester does offer an RSC rated cabinet, but at 3+ times the price.

I question the worth of an RSC (level 1) rating because it doesn't test against readily available battery-powered tools such as drills or saws like the Milwaukee M18. RSC level II does offer quite a bit of security, but last time I looked only AmSec had met that spec, and their safes start at around $6000.

I'm under no delusion that if someone wants to get in and make off with my stuff bad enough that they cant do it. But they are in for a hell of a time in doing so.
The Internet is FULL of videos on how easy it is to break into a safe using a simple 18V cordless tool so why do we keep talking about "This safe is good but this safe is better" when ALL of them are a 10 minute job with a grinder?
Most of these safes have asbestos in them or materials that emit corrosive gases? Again, tons of stories of these fancy safes ruining guns with rust.

it is FAR better to get the type of gun locker police and army use: a 1/4" welded cabinet with a bunch of holes for air circulation and weight reduction. Just google "Guns storage locker" to see the options.

Looking for a small safe, one that doesn't weigh more than me and is fire resistant. I had thought getting anything rated for fire resistance would mean a 400+ lb safe, but doing a search the 12 gun Stack On safe from Shalom Depot looks like it's at a weight me and another can handle moving and is also fire resistant. Build quality seems meh, but as long as it shuts, locks, and doesn't cook what's inside that's all I want.

The stack on will get you compliance and stop the lazy/stupid

Gentlemen, you're all focusing on prying, cordless tools, and whatever else a burglar is looking to use to break into the safe and that's not the focus as I expect any determined person will be able to bust open a safe if they have the time. The goal here is some fire protection and basic storage security that is better than nothing.

Back
Top Bottom