House Review of S2284 (formerly SB 2265)

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can buy it, but if you're a prohibited person and you use it in self defense, you can be arrested for possession. awesome place we live in, isn't it!
you're prohibited, for whatever reason, but feel the need to defend yourself...you can't buy a firearm, so you get a can of spray. Someone mugs you, you spray them, tell the popo, and they arrest YOU for defending yourself!!
That's the dumbest $hit I ever read [laugh]

you can buy it, but if you're a prohibited person and you use it in self defense, you can be arrested for possession. awesome place we live in, isn't it!
you're prohibited, for whatever reason, but feel the need to defend yourself...you can't buy a firearm, so you get a can of spray. Someone mugs you, you spray them, tell the popo, and they arrest YOU for defending yourself!!
Straight out of a Kafka story.

And therefore there's no incentive to ever report the incident to the cops. Just keep on walking.......

And the added bonus is the MA crime rate goes down. [rolleyes]

According to GOAL

- The original bill would have given the MA Attorney General unprecedented power over which firearms can be purchased in MA. (EOPSS list). We were successful in removing this language.

- We were able to defeat a Senate amendment which would have added a renewed AWB ban

So are we now the same as a free state, for purchases?

According to GOAL

- The original bill would have given the MA Attorney General unprecedented power over which firearms can be purchased in MA. (EOPSS list). We were successful in removing this language.

- We were able to defeat a Senate amendment which would have added a renewed AWB ban

So are we now the same as a free state, for purchases?

No. The bill would have given the AG more power, but the reworked version does nothing to change the status quo. Nothing has changed in regards to the "list".

Rob,
Do you think that will be left for the dealers to deiced which "Olympic pistol" they want to take a chance and transfer?

Typical mass law written so gauge no one knows until they get sued. I'd be supprised if any of the vagueness gets clarified outside of the courts. Hope I'm wrong.

Except for "olympic pistols".

But...

"Olympic pistols" should have already been included in "firearms solely designed and sold for formal target shooting competition" which were already excluded.

And to make matters worse, the state is required to make yet another list of Olympic competition pistols, in addition to the "formal target shooting" pistols list.

I think the latter now has *42* pistols listed.

I'd bet a pizza that the Olympic pistols list takes five years to have even a ToZ-35 on it.

Rob, Do you think that will be left for the dealers to deiced which "Olympic pistol" they want to take a chance and transfer?

If I'm not mistaken, the new law includes language that puts Andrea Cabral in charge of deciding which Olympic pistols go on the list. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's probably not going to be a huge priority for her. Not to mention that "Olympic" pistols should already be on the target roster anyway.

That was one section of the new law that will probably mean very little in practice.

If I'm not mistaken, the new law includes language that puts Andrea Cabral in charge of deciding which Olympic pistols go on the list. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's probably not going to be a huge priority for her. Not to mention that "Olympic" pistols should already be on the target roster anyway.

That was one section of the new law that will probably mean very little in practice.

Clauses Eighteenth to Twenty-first, inclusive, of the first paragraph shall not apply to: [STRIKE=d](a)[/STRIKE] (i) [STRIKE=d]any[/STRIKE] a firearm lawfully owned or possessed under a license issued under this chapter on or before October 21, 1998; [STRIKE=d]or (b)[/STRIKE] (ii) [STRIKE=d]any[/STRIKE] a firearm designated by the secretary of public safety, with the advice of the gun control advisory board, established pursuant to section 131-1/2; of chapter 140, as a firearm solely designed and sold for formal target shooting competition[STRIKE=d].[/STRIKE]; or (iii) a firearm designated by the secretary of public safety, with the advice of the gun control advisory board, established pursuant to section 131-1/2; of chapter 140, as a firearm or pistol solely designed and sold for Olympic shooting competition. The secretary of public safety shall compile [STRIKE=d]a list[/STRIKE] lists, on a bi-annual basis, of firearms designated as "formal target shooting firearms" and "Olympic competition firearms" in accordance with this paragraph. Such lists shall be made available for distribution by the executive office of public safety and security.

I don't see this making any practical difference.

If I'm not mistaken, the new law includes language that puts Andrea Cabral in charge of deciding which Olympic pistols go on the list. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's probably not going to be a huge priority for her.

why all the doubt? Cabral seems very athletic.

Does anyone think the state actually checked with the US Olympic Committee, to verify there wouldn't be any legal impediments to Boston's Olympics 2022(?) bid?

If the UK, which bans civilian handguns altogether, managed to find a workaround, I'm sure MA would have no problem making a loophole.

If the UK, which bans civilian handguns altogether, managed to find a workaround, I'm sure MA would have no problem making a loophole.

I think they legislated especially for the Olympics, however, Olympic hopefuls had to go off island to train.

But...

"Olympic pistols" should have already been included in "firearms solely designed and sold for formal target shooting competition" which were already excluded.

And to make matters worse, the state is required to make yet another list of Olympic competition pistols, in addition to the "formal target shooting" pistols list.

I think the latter now has *42* pistols listed.

I'd bet a pizza that the Olympic pistols list takes five years to have even a ToZ-35 on it.

Last year I asked Four Seasons if I could order a pistol on the formal target shooting list, a High Standard Victor. They said no. Something to the effect that they (FS) are under a lot of scrutiny, it is not worth the hassle for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom