Home Defense Shotgun Suggestions

Shotgunz rool 1!! 1

Just rack the thing and people fall over dead. And if you do shoot them you can just wave the gun in their general direction and kill everything everywhere , no aiming required ...

Wait. No , sorry.

I too keep a Remington 870 for HD. Loaded with 00B ; 2 & 3/4's is plenty of 12 gauge for me , thank you very much.

I've also got a Mossberg 500 with pistol grip. But I've come to believe pistols should have pistol grips and long guns should have stocks.

I think what I was thinking when I made the above wise ass statement was although the shotgun is the legendary all American gun for defending the homestead , it may not actually be appropriate for everyone.

I spend about 20 to 1 hours with pistols and rifles vs my shotguns. In a terrible situation I expect to be more proficient with the guns I shoot all the time.

There isn't any shot inside my home outside of my comfort zone - distance wise, so I feel pretty confident with my 1911.

If I for some unimaginable reason needed to go outside and engage multiple targets then my AR 15 would be a better choice for me personally.

Of course , if you're one of them guys that shoots little frisbees out of the air with a shotgun ....

IMG_0077.jpg

590A1 with Knoxx Stock 00 Buck 9 round capacity.

Please tell me you are kidding! no red blooded American should be buying anything from China, least of all a personal defense weapon!! And why would you buy a Chinese piece of crap and top it off with a Surefire weaponlight?

I typically stay away from any gun that is 2 3/4 only because it limits my options for shells.
You can buy 2 3/4" 12 gauge ammunition to kill anything that walks on two legs or flies and about 95% of everything that walks on four legs.

I'm a bit suprised with all the votes for the 870...I was expecting the Mossberg 500. Never taken a close look at the 870 because most shops I visit tend to feature the 500. I will make it a point to look at some 870's.

Remingtons are simply a cut above Mossberg any way you look at it.

Home Defense Shotgun

Check out www.aiptactical.com. He is a certified armorer and makes awesome home defense and police guns for a low price. He was a SWAT officer for many years and LEO's in 24 states carry his shotguns, they work. i vought a Basic II with a 6 round side saddle, $675.00 shipped and it is smooth and no nonsense!

Personally, I use an 870 tactical. 18" barrel, breacher choke, SureFire forend (for which im going to be getting a Malkoff drop-in LED replacement), 6+1 capacity, and sling swivels. I keep it loaded with 00.

Blitz1, I copied your setup and added forend with rail and light to it. That stock is just amazing! We did a side by side firing to see the difference in recoil and its like night and day. Recommend the Knoxx stock...

Blitz1, I copied your setup and added forend with rail and light to it. That stock is just amazing! We did a side by side firing to see the difference in recoil and its like night and day. Recommend the Knoxx stock...

I need a light for mine as well, how did you mount it?

I belive I read here , somone was going to use 12 ga 3 1/2 inch shells for home defence ; when you let that beast roar you and your family better have ear protection! the idea that 12 ga 2 3/4 buckshot is weak is nonsence,in Vietnam 12 ga 2 3/4 shot was used and most times #4 buck [27 pelits].

Replaced the front grip with (not sure this is the exact unit):

SHT-078.jpg

The light mounts to the bottom rail. I did not install the side rails. The light has a paddle on the back of it that you can work with your finger.

The only downside with the bottom mount is if you have large hands. My buddy has large mitts and the end of the light scrapped up his hand pretty good.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SHT078-1.html

I need a light for mine as well, how did you mount it?

Replaced the front grip with (not sure this is the exact unit):

SHT-078.jpg

The light mounts to the bottom rail. I did not install the side rails. The light has a paddle on the back of it that you can work with your finger.

The only downside with the bottom mount is if you have large hands. My buddy has large mitts and the end of the light scrapped up his hand pretty good.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SHT078-1.html

Nice. Thanks. [grin]

My opinion is that any 12 or 20g pump(I enjoy the 500) chambered for 3" (for versatility) and loaded with 2 3/4 shells of #4-00 buck will work. I enjoy my 500 12g with the standard stock and 18.5" barrel. I am looking to get a foregrip that I can mount a flashlight on. This 12g also serves as my hunting gun with the short barrel and slugs or rifled barrel and sabots for deer or the 24" with accu-choke for anything that flies.

My opinion is that any 12 or 20g pump(I enjoy the 500) chambered for 3" (for versatility) and loaded with 2 3/4 shells of #4-00 buck will work. I enjoy my 500 12g with the standard stock and 18.5" barrel. I am looking to get a foregrip that I can mount a flashlight on. This 12g also serves as my hunting gun with the short barrel and slugs or rifled barrel and sabots for deer or the 24" with accu-choke for anything that flies.

What he said except I added a Knoxx so the wife is more comfortable when she shoots it. The recoil seems to be a bit much for a petite woman. The Knoxx buffers that.

If you want a soft recoiling 12ga that needs no Knoxx stock right out of the box, I can't recommend the Benelli Super Nova Tactical enough. I reviewed the Benelli SNT here:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81742

Whatever you choose, make sure it fits you and that you train with it. All the cool gadgets in the world mean zero if you've no concept on how to employ a shotgun in a defensive role.

If one insists on Mossberg or Remington, I would buy their dedicated defensive models. In the case of Mossberg, the differences between the 590A1 and the 500 Persuader are night and day - same with the 930 SPX vs the 930 field. They seem to be made at either another facility, or on another line - the QC differences are that apparent. The 930 SPX by the way is getting great reviews and two customers who picked them up at Dicks recently raved about them and they are on sale for $589.00...A third has yet to shoot his, so I philosophically dope slapped him...You know who you are...[wink]

BTW - Blitz1 - That looks like a nice ride....

Mossberg 500 TALO Edition

Love it! Looks scary as shit, practical, fun to shoot and holds 5 extra rounds on the collapsible stock!

Mossberg500TALO.jpg.w110h83.jpg

517-54127 - Mossberg Tactical 12/18.5" Talo Exclusive

* 12 Gauge
* Pump Action
* 18.5" Barrel Length
* 38.5" Overall Length
* 6.75 Lbs.
* Bead Sights
* 6 Shot Capacity
* 3" Chamber
* Cylinder Bore Chokes
* Matte Finish
* Adjustable Synthetic Stock
* Model #: 500 Tactical 6-Shot

Last edited:
If you want a soft recoiling 12ga that needs no Knoxx stock right out of the box, I can't recommend the Benelli Super Nova Tactical enough. I reviewed the Benelli SNT here:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81742

Whatever you choose, make sure it fits you and that you train with it. All the cool gadgets in the world mean zero if you've no concept on how to employ a shotgun in a defensive role.

Thank You for that link! AND DING DING DING! And you are absolutely correct about fit and training. Excellent post!

Get a Mossberg 500/590 or a Remington 870. Both are great, I have a 500 but want an 870 for the expendable mag capacity.

Ditch all the tacticool crap, I know I went through that phase, keep the standard stock, put on a set of ghost ring sights and use the money you saved on lasers and fancy stocks on a SUREFIRE fore end light.
618fa_large.jpg

Best HD shotgun out there, it's simple effective and you dont have a 100 things to turn on and play with while some one is routing through your house at night.

My .02

PS, I wouldn't put a lot of faith into the action sound taking care of every situation. Load it buck slug buck slug buck.

Back
Top Bottom