Home Defense Shotgun Suggestions

1 vote for the "Mossy"
Like JasonS I also like the adjustable Knox stock!
I really like the marinekote finish on my "Mariner 500"

ppk005.jpg

I have a 500 with Knoxx Stock. I love it, but more importantly my wife does too. I feel better knowing she has a home defense weapon she is comfortable shooting when I am not in the house.

Both the 500 and 870 are good choices. You should also consider the load you will have chambered. Consider the penetration capabilities or over-penetration possibilities of your ammo. There is much debate on what is appropriate in a home defense situation, but I think it comes down to your individual situation (# family members in the house, proximity of neighbors etc.) You're sure to get a wide variety of answers here.
Second, a well dressed tactical shotgun with lights, lasers, rails, door breacher, bayonet and a heat shield is a lot of fun, but if you ever come to use that weapon to put down an intruder every piece of equipment on that firearm will be scrutinized by a D.A.
Welcome to Massachusetts -Rule 1: C.Y.A. -
If its truly for home defense get what you need. A bone stock 870 does the same damage as the well dressed one.

That is a shotgun with class. Before the bad guy craps and runs you bet he will complement your gun.[smile]

Thanks Bam.HD shotguns are a good reflection of their owners.[laugh]
I'm not to in to the Tacti-cool accesories,The stocks functional.

I was thinking about a flashlight, but started thinking if the intruder(s) has/have a gun I could be revealing my location,giving them the "Aim at the bright lite option"..any thoughts?

I vote for a Serbu super shorty. Nothing like 12 inches of 12 guage to put the fear in peoples hears.

super_shorty_870.jpg

Aside from that I would go with either the 870 or the Mossberg since they are like the Honda civics of shot guns. Everyone makes add on parts for them. I would also cut the barrel to a "smidge" over the limit. Add a folding pistol grip stock and that would be that.

I was thinking about a flashlight, but started thinking if the intruder(s) has/have a gun I could be revealing my location,giving them the "Aim at the bright lite option"..any thoughts?

Put it on a pressure switch maybe?

Lights, like the guns they are mounted on, have a proper method of use. It wouldn't be prudent to have that light on during the entire incident. You can pretty easily find info on light use strategies during engagements.

Nothing says "get the f*ck out" like the sound of a 12 gauge racking a shell into the chamber.

+1 on the 870

thats such nonsense
why would you want to give your position away?
or respond to a break in with an empty chamber?
you take a gun out you better be prepared to use it, not wave it around and say, look what big scary noise my gun makes

someone breaks in, if you let them leave because they heard a gun loading, they'll just be back to get that gun when you're not home.

My thought's you will give yourself away anyway with noise in a quit house. Target recognition is much more important then stealth. Remember that fiancée in FL.

Get a pressure switch and use the strobe or pulse technique you will blind/disorientate them and you wont give them something to aim at.

My thought's you will give yourself away anyway with noise in a quit house. Target recognition is much more important then stealth. Remember that fiancée in FL.

Get a pressure switch and use the strobe or pulse technique you will blind/disorientate them and you wont give them something to aim at.

I Gotcha,makes perfect sense.I'm gonna research some options.

thats such nonsense
you take a gun out you better be prepared to use it, not wave it around and say, look what big scary noise my gun makes

someone breaks in, if you let them leave because they heard a gun loading, they'll just be back to get that gun when you're not home.

Well, my old college roommate is a twin. When we were in high school together, they had an intruder in the house in the middle of the night. Both boys and the dad each grabbed their pump action shotguns, and each of them, in succession, racked a round into the chamber, from three separate rooms of the house. The intruder beat feet rather quickly.

thats such nonsense

[rolleyes]

Like Timber, I currently own a Mossberg Maverick. The only thing I don't like is how loose the forend feels. I'll sell it in a couple months and start saving for a 590. I want something to put a bayonet on [grin].

I owned a Winchester 1300 which was a solid gun but since they stopped production of it possibly forever I decided to sell that off and went with the 870. I got my hands on a Police Magnum receiver with the mag tube on it and built it up. It's solid and the action is smooth. 18 inch barrel and the mag extension on it make it good for HD. I shot some Winchester Ranger buckshot and rifled slugs through it and had good accuracy and patterns. I was surprised how accurate the slugs were out to 100 yards. I really like the rifle sights on the barrel too.

Zombieguns-1.jpg

No bayonet for me, thanks.

A shotgun is already arguably too long for clearing a house. My intent is to never need my shotgun for hand to hand combat.

Ok what is that? how many rounds does that drum hold? Is it MA LEGAL?

Street Sweeper, 12, and "it can be." Of course it's regulated by the feds so you need to deal with that....

Nothing says "I'm gonna kill you sucka" like one already in the chamber and a full tube..... This is life not the movies.

Nothing says "get the f*ck out" like the sound of a 12 gauge racking a shell into the chamber.

Also I dont have one but it looks interesting and "staying legal", also the mounting simulation might look alittle familiar....

http://www.santacruzgunlocks.com/setups/select/home.html

Mossberg 500 with a Knoxx stock!! If your good with a shotgun for close action get the "just in case" with a pistol grip. Check out Four Seasons.

Back
Top Bottom