Home Defense Shotgun Suggestions

With crime on the rise and my recent loss of some wheels I have decided to buy a kick ass home defense shotgun. Thinking I want something in 12G (pump not semi unless there is a good reason) with a tatical light so bright it makes you stop breathing, and a laser for quick target acquisition.

This is something I want to buy once and have it work. Not interested in cheesy chineese lights/lasers or plastic doo-dads that are gonna break off the first time I drop it. If anyone has pics, post em so I can get some ideas.

Thanks for your help.

[grin]

Benelli Supernova.

And what do you mean 'drop it'? If you're concerned about dropping your shotgun maybe you shouldn't be buying one.

Pardner protector. it's made in china, but is a TANK! it's what I have and the thing is solid steel. plus accepts all remington 870 accessories (minus barrel) best part is it's relitivly cheap, a bit over $200. if you ran out of ammo you could easily beat someone down with this thing. also, surefire makes a great shotgun light foregrip.

Nothing says "get the f*ck out" like the sound of a 12 gauge racking a shell into the chamber.

+1 on the 870

If you're using it for home defense, for God's sake keep one in the chamber. Never mind about the racking sound.

I have both a Remington 870, and a Mossberg 500a with the stock, not into pistol grip 12 gauge.

Hands down an 870, tuff as nails with a milled steel receiver. Remington also makes a super magnum version that takes 3.5 inch shells which will allow you to stuff any 12 gauge shell into it. I typically stay away from any gun that is 2 3/4 only because it limits my options for shells.

I'd go with the 870. I have a mossy 500 but if I had to do it again I'd go with the 870. It's never failed me but it is pretty rickety as fas as noise with moving parts. Pumps will cycle when you want them to. You never want to rack your pump to scare off intruders because you just gave away your position and you have no idea what they're armed with. +1 on keep one in the chamber. Don't be a nanny and get one with a pistol grip! Or with the foldable/collapsable stock. Pressure switch and laser. Enjoy.

I'd go with the 870 in a 18.5" with the plus two mag extension.

You can use both 2.75 or 3" shells, Although for home defense I think 2.75 shells are fine. Pick up some 00 or #4 Buck, and call it a day.

They are inexpensive, easy to maintain, and hell they just work.

I'm a bit suprised with all the votes for the 870...I was expecting the Mossberg 500. Never taken a close look at the 870 because most shops I visit tend to feature the 500. I will make it a point to look at some 870's.

I have a question, maybe a stupid one. I've looked at both the 500 and the 870 and have been trying to decide which one to get.

One thing I have not been able to figure out... On the 500 the pump release is right behind the trigger guard, which seems to me a natural place for it as my middle finger is right there to hit it when I go to pump it. On the 870, it's in front of the trigger guard and I have yet to figure out how you would reach it without releasing your grip.

Am I missing something?

+1 on the Knoxx stock. I did a "mini review" here: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80084

Rem 870 is very nice. Mossberg 500 is less money and it to be seems easier to find good deals on used ones. I built the attached Moss 500 for about $230. (Technically it's a 600, but whatever.)

That reminds me, I have a heat shield to sell....

IMG_2060.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I have a question, maybe a stupid one. I've looked at both the 500 and the 870 and have been trying to decide which one to get.

One thing I have not been able to figure out... On the 500 the pump release is right behind the trigger guard, which seems to me a natural place for it as my middle finger is right there to hit it when I go to pump it. On the 870, it's in front of the trigger guard and I have yet to figure out how you would reach it without releasing your grip.

Am I missing something?

You don't need it unless you're unloading, in which case releasing the grip is not important. (Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.)

Am I missing something?

I have a 500 with a Knoxx stock. The safety and slide release are very well placed for a conventional stock, but both are a PITA to use with a Knoxx installed, or any other pistol grip style. I agree with Ma**h***. I like my 500, but I recommend the 870. Additionally, see this post of mine. It has run fine since that incident was resolved, but I can't recommend the 500.

It has run fine since that incident was resolved, but I can't recommend the 500.

Weird, the triggers on both of mine (one old and one new) are metal and seem pretty solid. The trigger guard and safety slider are the only plastic parts in / on the receiver.

Weird, the triggers on both of mine (one old and one new) are metal and seem pretty solid. The trigger guard and safety slider are the only plastic parts in / on the receiver.

I noticed that in the image you posted. My trigger is a gold colored plastic. Maybe because it was the Dicks combo gun? I dunno.

I just got a Remington 870 express tactical 12ga with ghost ring sights a picatinny rail and a door breacher (you never know) It looks mean as hell and is a fantastic shooter.

Okay, so maybe I just don't know how a shotgun works, I'm new to them. Do you not need to press the release button each time you rack the pump?

Nope. Pulling the trigger will allow you to pump as fast as you can. Initially you need to press the button to rack. So keep one in the chamber. Fiddling for the release button with a possible bad situation equals a REAL bad situation.

Nope. Pulling the trigger will allow you to pump as fast as you can. Initially you need to press the button to rack. So keep one in the chamber. Fiddling for the release button with a possible bad situation equals a REAL bad situation.

Not a good idea IMHO. Here's what I do:

1. Make the weapon safe. Double check. Triple check.
2. Move the slide forward.
3. With the muzzle in a safe direction, disengage the safety and pull the trigger. (See step 1.)
4. Re-engage the safety
5. Leave the slide forward
6. Load the mag tube.

Now the shotgun will have an empty chamber but a full mag tube. The slide will be unlocked. If you need to chamber a shell, simply rack the slide back and forth and you're ready to go.

Some people like to leave one chambered. I'm not one of those people - shotguns (at least the 500) have no drop safety or firing pin disconnect or anything like that. If you have a shell in the chamber and you drop the shotgun, the gun could fire. Unlikely? Yes, but possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom