• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Home Defense - Semi Auto or Pump Action Shotgun?

Ugh, no. Impossible to aim and they hurt to shoot.

Well you're not taking this pistol grip pump to the range every weekend to enjoy. It's a SHTF gun. Pistol grip shotguns are more maneuverable in the compact confines of your home. Take a shotgun with a full stock and walk around your house with it. Walk through stairways, practice clearing rooms through doorways, etc. You'll see what I mean. In an in home situation where maneuverability and portability are king over comfort and ranges are short, the pistol grip wins.

Federal 12ga 00 buck w/ Flight Control wad.

Slugs are for hunting, defeating intermediate barriers (think auto glass), and long range shots when you don't have a rifle. There is a legitimate overpenetration risk when shooting indoors. Flight control buck will keep all pellets in a torso out to 25 meters.

I will check these out.

As for short stroking... I didn't even know what this was until I looked it up today. And I have been running an 870 for 10 years and yes I have done what I can to train under simulated stress.

Well you're not taking this pistol grip pump to the range every weekend to enjoy. It's a SHTF gun. Pistol grip shotguns are more maneuverable in the compact confines of your home. Take a shotgun with a full stock and walk around your house with it. Walk through stairways, practice clearing rooms through doorways, etc. You'll see what I mean. In an in home situation where maneuverability and portability are king over comfort and ranges are short, the pistol grip wins.

No, it doesn't. Manuvering a stocked firearm around a house is very simple.

No, it doesn't. Manuvering a stocked firearm around a house is very simple.

I find that my ability to maneuver around the house is the same with both, I personally find it more comfortable with a speedfeed pistol grip stock.

PGO shotguns blow. Shoot one for any length of time at targets at any kind of a real distance and you'd get it.

Advantages- It looks cool

Disadvantages- pretty much everything else

-Mike

Well you're not taking this pistol grip pump to the range every weekend to enjoy. It's a SHTF gun.

Yes, if the SHTF, you really want to be competent with the gun. Which takes practice. And since actually hitting something with a PGO shotgun is very hard, you'll want to do a lot of practice.

Pistol grip shotguns are more maneuverable in the compact confines of your home. Take a shotgun with a full stock and walk around your house with it. Walk through stairways, practice clearing rooms through doorways, etc. You'll see what I mean. In an in home situation where maneuverability and portability are king over comfort and ranges are short, the pistol grip wins.

I can and have maneuvered a long gun around my house. And if I have to take a shot the length of the living room, I'll actually hit what I'm shooting at. With a PGO, you aren't going to hit crap.

Sailors clear the passage ways of their ship with a standard 18" Mossberg 590 everyday of the week, clearing my house is no problem.

Last edited:
PGO shotguns blow. Shoot one for any length of time at targets at any kind of a real distance and you'd get it.

Advantages- It looks cool

Disadvantages- pretty much everything else

-Mike

Yup, I put the pistol grip on my Mossy, shot 2 #4 and one #00 shells, went home and put the stock back on

One thing pistol grip only shotguns do give you is the ability to have the coolness factor of this:

firepower.jpg

Totally ridiculous, but in a cool way. [laugh]

Buy a pump shotgun. Rack it a bunch of times while you record the sound and just replace your home security alarm sound with that noise. You'll be all set.

SOG Tactical tomahawk! YOU COME INTO MY HOUSE AND IM GONNA MAKE IT COUNT!!

The lady of the house will have an 870 if I fail....

But save the criticism.... When there's mass hysteria the REAL stuff will be an arms length away!

I've always wondered about this stuff, what exactly does it accomplish that a slug or ordinary buck shot wont?

I have tested them at 25 yards and you get quite the spread of shot at that range- off the paper type spread. The slug is dead on. The possible engagement scenario where that is useful to me would be rare if non existent so I have chosen to stick with traditional loads, with 12 ga Flight control out to 25 yards and slugs beyond.

Back
Top Bottom