• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Home Defense - Semi Auto or Pump Action Shotgun?

Ugh, no. Impossible to aim and they hurt to shoot.

This. It doesn't even make sense, I mean if you are not shouldering the gun, you would be firing from the hip. The angle of pistol grip isn't right for that.

I could maybe see something like this, maybe.

RG500.7.jpg

Keltec KSG. The bullpup design will give excellent maneuverability in confined spaces, like in hallways, around furniture, etc.

Was thinking the same thing..... Too pricey right now but might get one later when the initial release rush is over.....

Winchester Defender 1300 pump shotgun with pistol grip & 7 rounds of 3" 00-buck magnums.
Plus a few other little goodies placed strategically here & there.

Home alarm system with Foscam cameras including SDcard recording & iPhone notification.

Rich

Mossberg 930 SPX, great semi shotgun, ghost ring sights, I like mine. It's for sale btw if anyone is interested...bills to pay

Can't speak on the laws of a semi shotgun. Not sure if there are any. But personally I would go with a pump 12ga for home defense. I have shot a semi and had a few failure to eject. Just something you don't want to think about in a life or death situation.

Do you rely on a semi auto handgun for self defense? [rolleyes]

BTW, your statement re semi auto shotgun unreliability is meaningless without knowing the gun you are talking about, the ammo used when the malfunction occurred, and the maintenance history of the gun.

- - - Updated - - -

I My AR handles much better around the house, weighs less, and I shoot it very well, so that is what is the go to "Home Defense" gun.
+1

In a home defense situation, I would want to minimize any chance of that shotgun not going boom. I would only trust my Remington 870. I load it with Winchester 12ga 2 ¾” Dual Bond 1oz sabot slugs. I would not want to be on the business end of those babies…

If you're with a pump for "reliability" please go out and use it under stress. I've seen way more semi auto shotguns fail while shooting skeet,trap,sporting clays than a pump. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen an issue with a pump during those activities. But they're laid back too.

Go to a 3-gun or an Action Shotgun match and you will quickly see what a "short stroke" is. My first match I locked up the gun so bad that the RO and I had to go to a safe table and dissasemble the mag tube and pull the gun apart. Now that I practice and compete in action shooting with it, i would go with a pump in every home defense scenario you could throw at me. However, before the practice with it under stress, had I been involved in a home defense scenario and needed a second shot, probably would've been royally screwed.

If you don't have the time or means to do some HIGH stress practice with a pump, get a semi and figure out what defense loads cycles it every single time.

I would go pump, b/c you can trick it out with any evil features you desire without having to deal with any MA AWB crap. Personally, I liked being able to add an adjustable stock and pistol grip to mine.

Mossy 500 or Remmy 870 = GTG

Last edited:
Stoeger double defense is great so far, as it has not needed to be tested thankfully. its compact enought to go anywhere in the Bedroom.

I want one of these just based on the cool factor, and the fact that Stoeger makes some awesome shotguns. OP, pump is the way to go. The last thing you want in a HD situation is a semi-auto malfunction.

Recommendations for home defense slugs? They have the best expansion I've seen.

Sorry, but I'll be that guy. Slugs are not what I would recommend for home defense. My training was that slugs are for when you need more range and all you have with you is a shotgun, not a rifle. Unless you live in a very rural area, you don't need that much range, and if you do, then use your rifle.

Use 00 buckshot. There is no need to worry about expansion when you are firing a dozen .30 pellets at a person.

If you're with a pump for "reliability" please go out and use it under stress. I've seen way more semi auto shotguns fail while shooting skeet,trap,sporting clays than a pump. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen an issue with a pump during those activities. But they're laid back too.

Go to a 3-gun or an Action Shotgun match and you will quickly see what a "short stroke" is. My first match I locked up the gun so bad that the RO and I had to go to a safe table and dissasemble the mag tube and pull the gun apart. Now that I practice and compete in action shooting with it, i would go with a pump in every home defense scenario you could throw at me. However, before the practice with it under stress, had I been involved in a home defense scenario and needed a second shot, probably would've been royally screwed.

If you don't have the time or means to do some HIGH stress practice with a pump, get a semi and figure out what defense loads cycles it every single time.

I agree with this.
It all goes to crap when under stress. Few train enough to prevent that. I rather not have a gun that relies on me to cycle when the adrenaline is flowing

Recommendations for home defense slugs? They have the best expansion I've seen.

Federal 12ga 00 buck w/ Flight Control wad.

Slugs are for hunting, defeating intermediate barriers (think auto glass), and long range shots when you don't have a rifle. There is a legitimate overpenetration risk when shooting indoors. Flight control buck will keep all pellets in a torso out to 25 meters.

930 SPX

Mine's drop-dead reliable, easy to operate, easy to clean. Cycles everything (other than ammo specifically marked as "not-semi-compatible"). Good sights, feels great in my hands.

Yup, I strongly agree

Back
Top Bottom