Holstered pistol fires when guy bends over

Normally I say there is no such thing as an AD, but I always include an exception for mechanical failure. Assuming no unsafe modifications to either the gun or the holster, I have to say this is an AD.

I'd put money on it not being an AD. Shit holster or gun has some really weird modification. Or he got a piece of clothing stuck in there somehow.

-Mike

Maybe people who carry like that should not have a round in the chamber.

There's a shitload of people who carry appendix with a round in the pipe yet they don't seem to shoot themselves in the groin. Not my cup of tea (I'm too fat for it, lol) but I can see why others do. Generally speaking though everyone that I know who does, is not a spring chicken WRT gun handling.

-Mike

Just curious, aside from fear of an ND or AD, why you would carry an unchambered firearm? Not trying to give you any crap or anything just hard to understand. I've carried a P938 cocked and locked almost every day for 5+ years and not felt uncomfortable. The gun won't or should not go "BANG" unless I want it to.

The two guys in Oklahoma had time to go to their pickup trucks and get their guns.

What's so hard to understand that with a striker fired pistol, an empty chamber has ZERO chance of a negligent or accidental discharge. ZERO. Here we go down the "gaaaah you're going to die if you don't leave one in the chamber!!!" rabbit hole, but I do not trust striker fired pistols in 'condition 1' or whatever the hell the mall ninjas call it. I understand that some people prefer to carry a striker fired with one in the pipe. That's fine for them and I don't question their decision or preach to them. For me, I don't fully trust the mechanism plus half of my Glocks are modified trigger range toys anyway. Sure as hell won't carry any of those with one in the chamber.

There is no such thing as "zero" with a gun. Someone could have forgotten it and left it loaded, etc. That's just a shit mindset to take, safety
wise. the "I put a snap cap on the top of the mag" types are probably the most dangerous/unsafe gun owners on the planet.

I've been carrying Glocks in various holsters for like 10+ years, including some holsters that I'm ashamed of (like a $7 uncle mikes sidekick) that I would never use again, lol and have never had an ND. Then again I tend to be critical of how the gun interfaces with the holster etc.

If you don't "trust" the Glock's mechanism you obviously don't understand how it works and you might want to do a little research. Also a glock can't be C1, it's literally an "Assisted DAO" pistol design. lol. The striker is only precocked a tiny bit when the gun is ready to go. The gun ain't going to go off unless something pulls
the trigger.

Carrying without a round in the pipe is a waste of time. I'd leave my gun at home if I felt that way. I just assume have a rock at that point. There is no rabbit hole, it's just f***ing stupid, lol. There's no getting around it. Carrying a gun with a safety on and a round in the pipe is still 100 times less dumb than that, so if it makes you feel safe, then at least do that instead.

-Mike

I've carried like that for 10 years. When he bent over his stomach pushed that fire arm into the holster at an angle and it pulled the trigger. I don't think he had it properly holstered to begin with, hence the discharge. I carry a Smith m&p 9 without a safety, but that gun and holster go in as one unit.

My money is on he improperly holstered it with a piece of clothing causing it.
You shouldn't be stuffing a loaded gun like that.. holster then install.

I love how the lady had gloves and was ready to administer first aid almost instantly. Other than the ND it was all handled well.the shooter/shootee had a priceless and understandable reaction.

Shit like this is why most gun stores dont let you load up or handle your firearm on their premise.

Worn leather, and/or pliable holsters or shirts, can and have consequences:

SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges!

Editor-in-chief’s note: We’d like to thank the anonymous individual who came forward with this important information and allowed us to get it out to everyone here at ITS Tactical.

“What the hell was that?!?” she said. It took me a half a second to realize that my gun had just gone off…on my hip…in its holster. My wife and I had just finished breakfast at our favorite cafe and got into the car.

snip
Holstering your gun can be just as important as drawing it. Make sure you pay attention when doing so. If your leather is getting soft and worn, be sure that it won’t interfere with your trigger or just replace it.

The back of the slide and/or grip was being pushed downward into the leather holster…or the holster was being pushed upward with some force. My guess is the firearm was being pushed and the fold in the holster acted as a finger and depressed the Glock trigger safety.

5546662595_4b5d2dfaa1_o.jpg

leather-holster-ad-nd-2.jpg

Last edited:
Dunno what he caught on the trigger but holstetong like that is asking for a problem.

I dont see how its physically possible for the firing pin to strike the primer with the fpb in the way. So that means the trigger moved or the fpb was stuck depressed.

If stuck depressed its a failure of diligance and maintenance but not an end all, the safety on the trigger is still engaged and the trigger needs to move assuming theres no weird aftermarket shenannagans. My money is on he eithrt caught a piece of his pants or boxers up in the trigger area when he half assed his holstering.

I love how the lady had gloves and was ready to administer first aid almost instantly. Other than the ND it was all handled well.the shooter/shootee had a priceless and understandable reaction.
If you look, she can be seen wearing the gloves in the background before anything happened. Her instinctual response was hands over the ears from the sound. However, she immediately heads to the first aid kit after she realizes what happened, which is damn good first action.

There is no such thing as "zero" with a gun. Someone could have forgotten it and left it loaded, etc. That's just a shit mindset to take, safety
wise. the "I put a snap cap on the top of the mag" types are probably the most dangerous/unsafe gun owners on the planet.

I've been carrying Glocks in various holsters for like 10+ years, including some holsters that I'm ashamed of (like a $7 uncle mikes sidekick) that I would never use again, lol and have never had an ND. Then again I tend to be critical of how the gun interfaces with the holster etc.

If you don't "trust" the Glock's mechanism you obviously don't understand how it works and you might want to do a little research. Also a glock can't be C1, it's literally an "Assisted DAO" pistol design. lol. The striker is only precocked a tiny bit when the gun is ready to go. The gun ain't going to go off unless something pulls
the trigger.

Carrying without a round in the pipe is a waste of time. I'd leave my gun at home if I felt that way. I just assume have a rock at that point. There is no rabbit hole, it's just f***ing stupid, lol. There's no getting around it. Carrying a gun with a safety on and a round in the pipe is still 100 times less dumb than that, so if it makes you feel safe, then at least do that instead.

-Mike

Agreed regarding no such thing as 'zero'. Should have made my comment more specific. I do understand how Glocks and other striker-fired pistols work. I have several that I built myself or are reworked range toys. Yep, the trigger has to be pulled- but there are examples of that happening via accidental means for various reasons including what happened to Mr. "Where did my junk go?" in the OP.

Leave your gun at home if w/o one in the pipe? Waste of time to carry it? Yeah, about a half second waste of time. I'm willing to gamble that half second for the added measure of safety for any "My finger is my safety" guns. Again, I'm not preaching for others to do as I do- it's simply my personal choice. Caveat that I prefer to carry a Sig with one in the pipe rather than a Glock without. My 'without' option is really only when pocket carrying a G43 (in a pocket holster).

If you don't carry with a round in the chamber you deserve what you and/or your family gets.

Exactly! The lowest possible probability of a ND/AD while still carrying. [wink]

That woman is prepared. She ran straight for the kit and looks like she grabbed a tourniquet.

I've been carrying Glocks in various holsters for like 10+ years, including some holsters that I'm ashamed of (like a $7 uncle mikes sidekick) that I would never use again, lol and have never had an ND.

Then you'll excuse us if we don't take your advice on safe carry as 100% gospel. Just because you got lucky with bad decisions doesn't make them safe. It's called survivorship bias.

the trigger.

Which is exactly what happened here. And also here and countless other examples by the way.

Carrying without a round in the pipe is a waste of time. I'd leave my gun at home if I felt that way. I just assume have a rock at that point.

The assertion seems to be that a gun without a round in the pipe is zero help ever. Would love to see the cites on that one. It's almost as if this crowd thinks every armed encounter comes down to a draw-and-shootout like the OK Corral...

If you shoot yourself, you're just as injured or dead as if someone else shoots you. And the consequences for that are, possibly, your guns get taken away. How often, I wonder, do these accidental shootings happen versus purposeful defensive shootings? Below is my thesis. Admittedly I have never been able to find the stats on these.

Accidental examples - relatively higher incidence and nearly fully preventable
* Negligent storage leading to small kid grabbing a gun - nothing in the pipe, or a safety both help here
* holster issues like this video - nothing in the pipe or a safety both help here
* FBI agent drops his gun and tries to retrieve it in a rush - nothing in the pipe or a safety both help here
* Adrenaline fueled nerves result in an ND while de-holstering in a defensive situation - nothing in the pipe or a safety both help here

Defensive readiness slow-down examples - defensive situations are lower incidence and the below do not prevent use of the gun, they slow it down
* motor control or memory (lack of training) result in you not being able to un-safety or rack the firearm
* in the case of nothing in the pipe - an injury to off hand causes slower presentation

Plastic single clip holster that's easy to put on/take off with the gun still in it. I'll often go a week without unholstering the gun.

I also like the safety on my LC9s. After lots of snap cap drills knocking the safety down on the draw is muscle memory. I also never put the safety on with my right thumb so that muscle memory doesn't exist to screw me up in a panic.

Everyone has different circumstances, where the perceived chance of an AD or a shooting might be greater.

My kids put their toys in my pockets sometimes without me even noticing. I wouldn’t a loaded Glock in that pocket.

Looks fake..I mean who has latex gloves that handy if you aren't in the garage working on a mc or car,or in a hospital ?

How about a woman in a gun shop that is constantly handling/cleaning guns and doesn't want those chemicals on her hands?

Not seeing anything in the video that indicates it was anything but a trigger getting pulled somehow. Took him a long time to get the holster out, maybe his shirt was jammed in it.

I’ve injured myself at work before, nothing serious but because it didn’t involve a gun it wasn’t on the national news.

A guy died at work a few years back, nobody heard about it cause it was from falling, not a gun.

A Glock literally cannot possibly go off without the trigger being pulled. The holster appears to be at least decent quality kydex so I doubt that this was a holster issue. I'm also thinking a piece of clothing got caught in the trigger guard.

Looks fake..I mean who has latex gloves that handy if you aren't in the garage working on a mc or car,or in a hospital ?

Not saying it can't happen,because it does.
Most cops I know carry the gloves on them all the time, they never know when they may need them. They are small and flat and take up no room in a back pocket.

Back
Top Bottom