Holster advice

I did search thee forums, and there were plenty of threads with answers in regards to an IWB holster, but none really had a suggestion for a "Small of the Back" IWB holster.

Granted I could use a left handed IWB holster, but I'd prefer one made for the purpose.

I would be using this for my S&W M&P Compact.

Any advice?

Any particular reason you want to carry small of the back? I think most find it rather uncomfortable, especially when you go to sit down in a chair or in your car. However if you insist on carrying that way I'd say any of the quality full leather IWB holsters such as Milt Sparks...but I prefer an MTAC with my fullsize 1911 on my right hip

Any particular reason you want to carry small of the back? I think most find it rather uncomfortable, especially when you go to sit down in a chair or in your car. However if you insist on carrying that way I'd say any of the quality full leather IWB holsters such as Milt Sparks...but I prefer an MTAC with my fullsize 1911 on my right hip

I prefer small of the back because it's the most comfortable to me and most easily hidden, it seems to stand out more when it's on my side.

The Galco MOB is designed for this however they do not show availability of a model for the M&P compact.

There are some who believe that small of back carry is undesirable because of the potential for spinal cord injury if you were to take a hard fall.

I use a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 and couldn't be happier, fits nicely between 4 and 5 o'clock, or in my case 7 and 8 o'clock being a lefty.

I use a Comptac Minotaur and carry the gun far back enough where it is almost small of the back. I am a lefty, and use a lefty holster for it.

For my chunky G29 I used a left handed Comp-Tac CTAC and carried middle-of-back. Small-of-Back I believe is more commonly referred to an OWB way of carry.

SOB:
90131982ns3.jpg

SOB:
M_PP_DeSantis.jpg

MOB:
MOB.jpg

SOB / MOB has its uses, but i don't see how it could trump strong side IWB or strong side OWB - from a "tactical" standpoint. [laugh]

i think it's time to revaluate your wardrobe.... poking out of the back or poking out of the side.... just because "you" can't see it, it doesn't mean it's not there.

i'd probably rack up on some cheap pants from Old Navy or Steve & Barry's +1 size on the waist and double check the shirts.... i can conceal a full size 1911 in a Don Hume P.C.C.H or my G23 in a Comp Tac "c-tac" or Don Hume P.C.C.H w/o "printing" in that there are no "visible" buldges or snagging to the untrained eye.... a fellow gun owner will know i'm carrying in a heart beat though [smile] -only because they are looking for the gun...

I carry IWB at 3:00, but since I started carrying I've been gaining weight (quit smoking) and it's getting harder and harder to conceal. I also carry the SW m&p .40c... I wouldn't even dare trying to conceal my 1911 or Glock 17...

I carry IWB at 3:00, but since I started carrying I've been gaining weight (quit smoking) and it's getting harder and harder to conceal. I also carry the SW m&p .40c... I wouldn't even dare trying to conceal my 1911 or Glock 17...

funny, i just grabbed one of the G17's from Four Seasons.... been thinking about giving her a test drive as well. [smile] it's just like a G23, only bigger [laugh]

any gun can be hidden, with a light jacket / heavy sweater... i think i worry more about in the summer, when i'm in slippers, shorts and t-shirt more than not... my 1911 actually hides better with certain clothes because it's slimmer....

What kind of belt and holster do you have? Have you tried a stiff gun belt? Matching the belt to the holster is really important as well. If you're holster's loops are alot bigger than the width of your belt, or you have a lousy belt, the handle of the gun won't stay close to your body. I IWB a Glock 27 at 4 oclock all day in a crossbreed supertuck. And I'm a scrawny guy.

-Queue Jose and his Fist #20 and N Frame-

Thanks for all the input guys!

You're right Chet in regards to me seeing it more because I know it's there, though with the SOB my wife says she doesn't see it as well there.

And I"m in the same boat as Boston_Shooter in the sense I've put on a few pounds since I got married, less stress in my life.

CAUTION about SOB/MOB CCW. When wearing a jacket/shirt over it, sitting down and getting up again, the cover garment can easily ride up over the butt and result in a very embarrassing situation.

BTDT and posted about it before, but the short story was that as I got up in an auditorium I heard multiple gasps from the rows behind me . . . the jacket I was wearing rode up over the butt of the gun, exposing it.

The Galco MOB is designed for this however they do not show availability of a model for the M&P compact.

There are some who believe that small of back carry is undesirable because of the potential for spinal cord injury if you were to take a hard fall.
I use a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 and couldn't be happier, fits nicely between 4 and 5 o'clock, or in my case 7 and 8 o'clock being a lefty.

Plus 1.

Living here in New England with snow and ice the chance of a slip/slip and fall are all to likely to happen. It's all too possible to drive that pistol into your spine and do serious damage. I carry IWB just behind my hip and am not what you call thin. With a Winter vest, Jean Jacket or just an open shirt and conceal it just fine. A good belt along with a good holster make all the difference. Most people skimp on a holster and give no thought to a good carry belt.

The other issue to consider is the draw. With SOB/MOB carry you sweep yourself on the draw. Put stress into that and poor trigger control and you have done the work of the Bad guy you were facing. And depending on who is around you, I'll assume your wife or children walk on your left side, you push her/them back and behind you with your left arm as you start to draw with your right. Guess who else you sweep.

Strong side carry either IWM or OWB is a much better choice.

Hope that helps,

Plus 1.

Living here in New England with snow and ice the chance of a slip/slip and fall are all to likely to happen. It's all too possible to drive that pistol into your spine and do serious damage. I carry IWB just behind my hip and am not what you call thin. With a Winter vest, Jean Jacket or just an open shirt and conceal it just fine. A good belt along with a good holster make all the difference. Most people skimp on a holster and give no thought to a good carry belt.

The other issue to consider is the draw. With SOB/MOB carry you sweep yourself on the draw. Put stress into that and poor trigger control and you have done the work of the Bad guy you were facing. And depending on who is around you, I'll assume your wife or children walk on your left side, you push her/them back and behind you with your left arm as you start to draw with your right. Guess who else you sweep.

Strong side carry either IWM or OWB is a much better choice.

Hope that helps,

You can carry very close to SOB without having to draw across your body. What I do with my Minotaur holster is I move it almost all the way back (I am a lefty and it is left handed). When you draw from that position, the gun is pointing out/away from the body when it leaves the holster. I dont draw across my body.

It is very hard to draw and reholster from an SOB holster without crossing your backside. And since you can't see behind your back, some folks inadvertently cross themselves without realizing it.

Back
Top Bottom