Looking to modify a kydex holster

DarthRevan

NES Member
I have a holster for a gun that I recently added a red dot to that I would like to continue using.
Trying to determine if a dremmel or some kind of hot knife would be the cleanest way to make the change.

Anyone have success modifying their own? I would love some photos.

I would go in with the dremel and then use a diamond stone to smooth the area to prevent anything from snagging on clothing. Try to take a couple measurements first and use electric tape on the holster to mark the area so you don’t overdo it.

So I’ve done it for mags before, never a holster, but it worked very well. At that time, I was using a soldering iron and a karambit knife and it was a pain. Since then, I’ve used a dremel with multiple attachment heads and a diamond sanding stone and its been way better.

The holster locking mechanism is mainly on the front of the slide the fit should still be adequate.

i was just reading about kydex. i saw this "Relatively hard thermoplastic, with a hardness of 90 on the Rockwell R scale. This hardness, combined with a grained surface, increases its abrasion resistance." would make me think twice before i tried to alter the holster. i'd try and sell it and just buy a new one. but that's me.

I have a holster for a gun that I recently added a red dot to that I would like to continue using.
Trying to determine if a dremmel or some kind of hot knife would be the cleanest way to make the change.

Haven’t done it, but could you make a rough approximation of the red dot with wood and then use a heat gun to make the kydex pliable to push to shape with the wood “optic”?

Otherwise I’d cut it up with a dremel and smooth afterwards. That said, check to make sure cutting a slot won’t weaken the holster’s rigidity.

I've never cut a kydex holster, but I've successfully modified the shape of a couple using a heat gun. Point being, when you heat kydex, it gets really soft, really fast. I'd imagine that in that state, you should be able to cut it easily.

i was just reading about kydex. i saw this "Relatively hard thermoplastic, with a hardness of 90 on the Rockwell R scale. This hardness, combined with a grained surface, increases its abrasion resistance." would make me think twice before i tried to alter the holster. i'd try and sell it and just buy a new one. but that's me.
the Rockwell "R" scale is for very thin or very soft materials, now if you said it was Rockwell A, B, or C, then those would be a hard material,

Depending on who made the holster, some holster makers will let you send it back and do the cut for you for a small fee. What kind of gun/holster combo do you have?

the Rockwell "R" scale is for very thin or very soft materials, now if you said it was Rockwell A, B, or C, then those would be a hard material,
i agree, but....considering it's PLASTIC, still damn hard and resilient at the same time. it has to be looked at in context to the material being tested. i'm not an expert by any means, i'm thinking a diamond cutting wheel tool of some kind and i'm also thinking it's gonna look like hell when it's done. that cutter will be skating off the material until it bites. i don't have a dog in the fight so it matters nothing to me. good luck to the op and his project. mr. @appraiser, good point to remember going forward regarding the various tests.

the biggest thing is it is a thermoplastic and not a thermoset.

You can heat it and manipulate it, unlike a thermoset plastic that once heated holds its final position

you could cut it with a hot wire

I have modded a couple of my kydex holsters to accommodate a dot. Super easy to do and clean up. Use a dremel and cut off wheel to knock out most the unwanted material then move to a sanding drum. Finish up with sand paper and polish it out. If it feels tight in the area of the dot use a heat gun to get the kydex pliable. Hold it in the desired position until it cools. I like to use a silver sharpie to mark up an outline. Comes right off with a wipe of acetone.

Pancake kydex you can usually heat it up with a torch and kinda floppy mold it to your gun, I try to avoid it but have in the past.

Definitely cut off sweat guards etc for switching to optics a few time.

And I've dremeled the shit out of a couple of 6354DO duty rigs to fit my guns. Carry this one errrrday.

20240525_125141.jpg
20240525_125242.jpg
20240525_125155.jpg
20240525_125433.jpg
20240525_125246.jpg

I reworked a friend’s holster who added a red dot.
Laid out the cut on the plastic, bandsaw the removal for clearance, filed smooth as needed and heated with a heat gun for a nice finished edge.

Easy peasy. Worked like a charm but I also knew he didn’t care if it didn’t work as he was prepared to buy a new one anyway.

I reworked a friend’s holster who added a red dot.
Laid out the cut on the plastic, bandsaw the removal for clearance, filed smooth as needed and heated with a heat gun for a nice finished edge.

Easy peasy. Worked like a charm but I also knew he didn’t care if it didn’t work as he was prepared to buy a new one anyway.

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Rotary tools are great for cutting Kydex.

Heat guns (or even a plumbing torch) will polish the edge.

i agree, but....considering it's PLASTIC, still damn hard and resilient at the same time. it has to be looked at in context to the material being tested. i'm not an expert by any means, i'm thinking a diamond cutting wheel tool of some kind and i'm also thinking it's gonna look like hell when it's done. that cutter will be skating off the material until it bites. i don't have a dog in the fight so it matters nothing to me. good luck to the op and his project. mr. @appraiser, good point to remember going forward regarding the various tests.
uhhh...kinda? Any cutting tool on a Dremel, at appropriate speed and pressure, will cut just fine.

I have modded a couple of my kydex holsters to accommodate a dot. Super easy to do and clean up. Use a dremel and cut off wheel to knock out most the unwanted material then move to a sanding drum. Finish up with sand paper and polish it out.
Exactly this. I just cut a Vedder to accommodate my new Holosun a few weeks ago, it's really easy and straightforward.

Back
Top Bottom