Holster advice for Women by a woman.

I was on a Florida CCW site and came across a short series of youtube clips aimed at women on how to pick out a holster. The great thing about these clip's it is done by a woman FOR women.

Holster Talk

Also available by her areChoosing Your First Handgun.

Part 1 Part 2

Yes, she IS cute, but married. And in a couple of the vids she is pretty much preggers with her first child.

Last edited:
I was on a Florida CCW site and came across a short series of youtube clips aimed at women on how to pick out a holster. The great thing about these clip's it is done by a woman FOR women.

Holster Talk

Also available by her areChoosing Your First Handgun.

Part 1 Part 2

Yes, she IS cute, but married. And in a couple of the vids she is pretty much preggers with her first child.

Just finished watching the series on holsters. Very good information there. Also, I never considered carrying a K-bar, but it makes a lost of sense. Gonna have to get a k-bar now.

Thanks for posting the links, Skald.

Cute yes, married yes (and both of them CCW), but not pregnant any more. The baby is probably 4+ months old by now. Lima also has worked in a couple of gun shops and a .45 is her preferred handgun.

Lima has posted a lot of good info for women shooters on DefensiveCarry.com (Lima and Hubby are both Mods on that forum).

I actually have her set as a favorite.

On youtube search for Limalife and you'll find a bunch of videos done by her.
She practices good gun safety in her videos and seems very knowledgeable.

I've not watched the vids yet but I've occasionally perused the site, good info.

For our female NES members who are not SAS members - one of the upcoming events is a few hours at a local shop where we can have an area to ourselves for trying our existing guns with different types of holsters, trying new guns (dry fire only) and getting advice on different types of guns we have our eyes on. I'm not sure the store staff knows what they're in for! [laugh]

Anyway, it's one of the benefits of membership in SAS. They're putting on a series of talks with topics such as transportation & storage laws (no comments, LenS :), mental awareness, use of deadly force considerations and a concealed carry mini class by GOAL's Jon Green.

For some of the fellas here whose significant others are wary of guns, having them around the house, using them, etc. I'd encourage your SO to visit SAS and see if it offers them a "safe place" for education and information.

Bump. I just came across her youtube site looking for holster tips for my wife http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife Good info in there for the ladies.

I did a search on here before posting a new thread and found this thread from about a year ago. I figured I would just bump it instead of starting a new one. I didn't want give all the grumpy f*%@s a hard on to see who could yell at me first. [rofl]

Thanks, Skald!

I've not watched the vids yet but I've occasionally perused the site, good info.

For our female NES members who are not SAS members - one of the upcoming events is a few hours at a local shop where we can have an area to ourselves for trying our existing guns with different types of holsters, trying new guns (dry fire only) and getting advice on different types of guns we have our eyes on. I'm not sure the store staff knows what they're in for! [laugh]

Anyway, it's one of the benefits of membership in SAS. They're putting on a series of talks with topics such as transportation & storage laws (no comments, LenS :), mental awareness, use of deadly force considerations and a concealed carry mini class by GOAL's Jon Green.

For some of the fellas here whose significant others are wary of guns, having them around the house, using them, etc. I'd encourage your SO to visit SAS and see if it offers them a "safe place" for education and information.

I would be interested in hearing some more from all the Lovely Ladies here.

I have never been comfortable in female only classes.. I prefer to learn what the men are learning with them.

I have never been comfortable in female only classes.. I prefer to learn what the men are learning with them.

I also am suspicious of some of these classes, due to the tendency of "watered-down" info being presented. I think you have to feel it out based on the personel and their attitude. My pistol safety class was geared towards women, and was quite helpful. Men were welcome to attend, and there were some men in the class. The group sponsoring the class was started by a woman who experienced a violent crime, not some dude trying to make some coin. Not that a man who starts such a class is always out for money only - one of the instructors in my class was male, unpaid, and dispensed much useful info.

To the OP, thanks for the link. I will check it out.

There's certainly a risk that women only classes will assume that women are 'special/different' and need different instruction (shy, weaker, non-technical, intimidated by men, etc.)

Some women are annoyed by the approach and some appreciate it.

Having had the pleasure of instructing both mixed (generally men) and female only courses, the one very significant benefit that I've seen in the female only courses is that the women will open up more and voice issues that they generally don't in mixed company. There is also a sense of camaraderie that develops where everyone is everyone else's cheerleader. Nothing, but nothing improves the learning potential than a good positive attitude and I've instructed classes where the women FAR exceeded the ability of what I would consider 'average' and I can't help but think it was due to the relaxed and supportive atmosphere that developed.

Perhaps in more advanced courses this type of segregation is less of a factor (I have no experience instructing female only courses beyond basics) but I can state with certain fact that those starting out WILL get a significantly better atmosphere in an all female course than in a mixed course all other factors remaining equal.

Oh, and this type of "power in numbers" does not apply to just firearms. I remember a college course (Calculus 4) where it was myself and 5 women. One of the women and I were good friends and thus I became "one of the girls" and as a team, we did amazingly in that class. I've also seen similar results when I was 'volunteered' to don the Red Man suit for a women's self defense class. I then witnessed it again when I arranged a private kubaton class for the Natick Crate and Barrel staff (my wife was working there part time then) after a rash of parking lot attacks.

When women get together for a purpose, they seem to naturally have an ability to form a cooperative union that just makes each of them more effective.

Having had the pleasure of instructing both mixed (generally men) and female only courses, the one very significant benefit that I've seen in the female only courses is that the women will open up more and voice issues that they generally don't in mixed company. There is also a sense of camaraderie that develops where everyone is everyone else's cheerleader. Nothing, but nothing improves the learning potential than a good positive attitude and I've instructed classes where the women FAR exceeded the ability of what I would consider 'average' and I can't help but think it was due to the relaxed and supportive atmosphere that developed.

Perhaps in more advanced courses this type of segregation is less of a factor (I have no experience instructing female only courses beyond basics) but I can state with certain fact that those starting out WILL get a significantly better atmosphere in an all female course than in a mixed course all other factors remaining equal.

Oh, and this type of "power in numbers" does not apply to just firearms. I remember a college course (Calculus 4) where it was myself and 5 women. One of the women and I were good friends and thus I became "one of the girls" and as a team, we did amazingly in that class. I've also seen similar results when I was 'volunteered' to don the Red Man suit for a women's self defense class. I then witnessed it again when I arranged a private kubaton class for the Natick Crate and Barrel staff (my wife was working there part time then) after a rash of parking lot attacks.

When women get together for a purpose, they seem to naturally have an ability to form a cooperative union that just makes each of them more effective.

You can't state anything with fact, because all women are different. Their individual personalities will dictate their participation, or lack thereof. My basic pistol class was taught by a man, and I was the only woman in it. I had no problem opening my mouth to ask questions if needed. The fact is though, I didn't need to, because I listened, while most of the men made unnecessary comments. As far as women exceeding your expectations, that is because we are smarter than men.. [laugh]

You can't state anything with fact, because all women are different. Their individual personalities will dictate their participation, or lack thereof.

I agree 100%, but by experience I'm stating that I've seen some good results. And, as an instructor, I've found those classes some of the most enjoyable to teach. (and no, not because of it being women, but because of the atmosphere.) It could be that the personality/desires that drive them to an all female type setting are the same that make such arrangements succeed, but whatever the mechanism is, it seems to work.

I listened, while most of the men made unnecessary comments.

That, sadly, is far too common. Especially when the 'man' is there to 'help' someone else, or was 'forced' to be there because their chief told them to take a class. We had an incident back when I was assisting prior to getting my credentials where one of these 'helpers' was demonstrating to his female companion with a .25 that was fully loaded as they sat in the last row of the classroom. Not a fun situation. And certainly not the kind of event that leads to a successful training.

As far as women exceeding your expectations, that is because we are smarter than men.. [laugh]

Women certainly seem to have fewer barriers to succeeding these days. As for 'smarter', I've had my share of examples of both genders at both extremes. (^_^) Remind me to tell you my "Blond with 'guns'" story if I see you in person. (and no, I'll NOT PM it - no way I'm writing any of that down)

Back in the early 90's I had the pleasure of taking a lethal force course with Lyn Bates who founded AWARE. I think it was her that said:

Men have the belief they were born experts at three things, driving, shooting, and having sex. In reality, they need training for all three.

It stuck with me as being very funny. Sadly, as far as shooting goes, that generality has proven to be quite accurate. (I won't comment on the other two - leave that to Blitz1)

I'll sum up this way... If a woman would feel more comfortable in a setting with just other women, I see no detriment to conducting such courses so long as the material is the same. And, in my experience, it CAN be a very good experience for both the students and the instructor.

I also am suspicious of some of these classes, due to the tendency of "watered-down" info being presented. I think you have to feel it out based on the personel and their attitude. My pistol safety class was geared towards women, and was quite helpful. Men were welcome to attend, and there were some men in the class. The group sponsoring the class was started by a woman who experienced a violent crime, not some dude trying to make some coin. Not that a man who starts such a class is always out for money only - one of the instructors in my class was male, unpaid, and dispensed much useful info.

Was that AWARE? They have some good folks teaching the class. I took several of their classes and helped out on the range a couple times as well.

Back
Top Bottom