Hold Your Fire (MIRCS explained)

"MIRCS also provides the police with a comprehensive database of all firearms sales," he added. "Now the police can check on whether an individual owns a handgun before they enter their home or business."

Silly me, I thought that was illegal.

I haven't heard that we have access to that info. Unless there's a way to go into the MIRCS computer and look up a licensee's purchase history? Interesting. I only know of one person that has access to the MIRCS where I work and she's a clerk. I'd imagine (maybe) the Chief and Capts or MIS Sgt have access but none of the other supervisors.

TonyD said:
Silly me, I thought that was illegal.

Got to remember the state this is coming from.

Now on to the meat of it. Do you feel comfortable with some of the basics of the system? I'm not bothered if they update it so often, I am not bothered by they run my name against a list of people who have been in court in the past 24 hrs and should legally be denied a firearm. I see those things as just being responsible to the general public.

The aspect I do not like at all is keeping a record of all the firearms I own. That is a statistic they don't need to know, it makes confiscation that much easier.

Last edited:
MIRCS info is available at police dispatchers desks. I have seen a demo when my record was pulled at a dispatcher's station. It's not 100%, and does not do a good job of de-association of guns when you get rid of them, but it does give a good idea who has guns.

It's still a far cry from NY where you must carry a permit listing each handgun you own.

Rob Boudrie said:
MIRCS info is available at police dispatchers desks. I have seen a demo when my record was pulled at a dispatcher's station. It's not 100%, and does not do a good job of de-association of guns when you get rid of them, but it does give a good idea who has guns.

It's still a far cry from NY where you must carry a permit listing each handgun you own.
Our dispatchers only have access to the LEAPS/NCIC computer which will allow a CHSB check for FID/LTC only. The MIRCS system is in another room which the public has access to for licensing purposes.

JonJ said:
Our dispatchers only have access to the LEAPS/NCIC computer which will allow a CHSB check for FID/LTC only. The MIRCS system is in another room which the public has access to for licensing purposes.
Does the FID/LTC check list guns? The system I saw did (though the list was woefully inaccurate, they got some of them right).

The demo I received pre-dated the MIRCS days and was displaying some combination of dealer sales and/or blue card transfers.

Rob Boudrie said:
Does the FID/LTC check list guns? The system I saw did (though the list was woefully inaccurate, they got some of them right).

The demo I received pre-dated the MIRCS days and was displaying some combination of dealer sales and/or blue card transfers.
No, the FID/LTC will only return the personal information of the licensee and issuing dept/type/expiration date.
I know first hand that I have never been able to get information on a licensee's firearms. As a matter of fact, if we were able to access that information now, it would be used on a daily basis in the serving of 209A's. When a judge orders the surrender of all firearm permits, firearms, and ammunition, we can ONLY check to see if the Defendant has been issued a permit.

As has been pointed out numerous times, the MIRCS firearms database is worthless. I can buy a pistol this morning at FSG, have the sale registered in MIRCS, sell the gun to a dealer out of state this afternoon and MIRCS will show me as the owner FOREVER.

Of course, the SMART police officer will ignore the data all together and treat every encounter with the proper caution. Afterall, the most dangerous people don't get into the MIRCS system and legally buy their guns.

So, tell me again how crimes this expensive and complicated system has solved?

I have been told by Chief Ron Glidden that the PD "can" get the list of CHSB registered firearms for an individual, but it is some special access screen and query. I don't know any more about it than that.

LenS said:
I have been told by Chief Ron Glidden that the PD "can" get the list of CHSB registered firearms for an individual, but it is some special access screen and query. I don't know any more about it than that.
There is a way to access that info from the system but we don't have everyday access.
Len, check today's email and in one of the messages, you'll see a reference to the "Firearms Sale Index".

Skald said:
Got to remember the state this is coming from.

Now on to the meat of it. Do you feel comfortable with some of the basics of the system? I'm not bothered if they update it so often, I am not bothered by they run my name against a list of people who have been in court in the past 24 hrs and should legally be denied a firearm. I see those things as just being responsible to the general public.

The aspect I do not like at all is keeping a record of all the firearms I own. That is a statistic they don't need to know, it makes confiscation that much easier.

I don't agree with it at all. But then again, I also think that the Federal
requirements are a bit overbearing and worthless, too. Criminals will
always operate outside the system.... and the system itself really only
exists to punish, restrict, and limit lawful ownership. (Every "delay" due
to a name confusion is punishment).

None of these methods of registration, permitting, have ever really
panned out all that well. They ultimately don't inhibit a determined
criminal from obtaining a firearm. If anything, they ensure that criminals
get "cleaner" (eg, no trace data, or trace ends at last owner before stolen)
guns on the street that probably have already been stolen.

-Mike

When applicants arrive at the local police department, they pay a fee for the license, and have their picture taken and fingerprints scanned with the electronic reader. The police fill out a Web-based form and submit it electronically for a background check. The entire process takes 15 to 20 minutes.
[rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Try more like an hour...

Back
Top Bottom