• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help Wanted

As many of you know, Project Appleseeds (RWVA) is a volunteer run organization.

There's been a LOT of folks here that have been to Appleseeds.

We've even got folks here that are RWVA Instructors, of all levels, from IIT to Master Instructor, and even one of the RWVA folks that runs the program.

Now, this is to all of you that have been to an Appleseed or two, shot Rifleman (210) or really close to it.

We would like YOU to join us. We have plenty of room for new Instructors in our program. Yup, you heard that right.

"Uncle Fred" wants YOU.

All you have to do is to let me know, by PM here, and I can give you the details on how. You might want to include Dwarven1 in that PM, so he helps move it along.

Of course, the pay sucks (there isn't any, we're volunteers, remember), but we do get some of our expenses reimbursed. Those of us in the program don't do it for the pay anyways, we do it to help save the country, be educating people, getting them in touch with their heritage, and teaching them how to shoot. To remember is to honor.

Now, we've got lots of jobs for those that don't feel up to becoming an Instructor. We always need people to promote the program, and other such tasks.

So, let us know, we'll hook you up.

Of course, the pay sucks (there isn't any, we're volunteers, remember), but we do get some of our expenses reimbursed. Those of us in the program don't do it for the pay anyways, we do it to help save the country, be educating people, getting them in touch with their heritage, and teaching them how to shoot.
I need to disagree with you on one point, Nickle.

The pay is AWESOME. The look on Reptile's face when I told him what his score was (228) was worth getting up early for two days and standing around in the cold for all of those two days. Which is not to take anything away from the looks on the faces of Snapshot, Dixidawg & young Jonathan when THEY scored Rifleman! The knowledge that we have another FOUR Riflemen out there because I, and Crak, Firewall99 and MrTwigg were out there working our collective tails off is a bonus, as far as I'm concerned.

And knowing that we have EIGHTEEN Americans woken up... Well. That's what we were there to do, wasn't it.

how much time is required? travel distance? equipment beyond basic safety gear?

i'd be willing, but i'm limited to one or two days a month from weekends.

or is it a seminar that i could plan out to?

i have no certs., but do know basic range safety stuff...

i've acted as a range safety and have done a few pre-marksmanship intructions to officers on M9 and soldiers on M4 / m16... but even that, it's been a loooooooooong time [laugh]

You gents have no idea how much I would love to join you!

My energy will remain devoted to the hundreds of Scouts who I get the chance to teach each year and to training instructors to carry on after me in the Scouting program.

However, a piece of my heart will be with you whenever you run an event.

I will be adding a history lesson to all of my Merit Badge classes and recommending Appleseed to any and all who would wish to build on the meager skills that my limited time allows me to teach them.

Huzzah, gentlemen, huzzah!

how much time is required? travel distance? equipment beyond basic safety gear?
All you can spare, as far as you want to go (Crak got flown to Florida to run a shoot; I'm driving out west of Syracuse, NY for a shoot in April) and a computer. (shooters provide their OWN gear. Many of us have a spare pair or two of ears and eyes, but it's not a requirement).

Seriously, we need folks other than Instructors - we have folks who post on other websites and advertise the shoots, we have people calling into talk shows, we have folks to produce the documentation that we need (flyers, etc) - this is a nationwide effort, and we need support folks as well.

Of course, if you DO have that Rifleman patch, or are close to it, being an instructor is a lot of fun. You get to spend an entire weekend out in the sun, rain, hurricane or snow running a line, instructing shooters and telling them the REAL story of Lexington & Concord. The one that they glossed over in Social Studies class. You get to stay in motels or camp out, you get Saturday night's meal provided by the program... and you get the immense self-satisfaction of awakening your sleeping compatriots.

Oh... I forgot. Since Appleseed is a 501(c)3 program, any expense you don't want to submit (hotel, mileage) you can deduct as a contribution off of your taxes.

i'd be willing, but i'm limited to one or two days a month from weekends.

or is it a seminar that i could plan out to?
Here ya go! That's where we post the "job jar" of what needs to get done.

i have no certs., but do know basic range safety stuff...
A lot of clubs prefer to see an NRA-certified RSO, so some of us go and get that.

You gents have no idea how much I would love to join you!

My energy will remain devoted to the hundreds of Scouts who I get the chance to teach each year and to training instructors to carry on after me in the Scouting program.
Bring 'em on down, Rick! You do know that kids under 21 shoot for free, right? [devil]

Last edited:
<snip>My energy will remain devoted to the hundreds of Scouts who I get the chance to teach each year and to training instructors to carry on after me in the Scouting program.
<snip>
Huzzah, gentlemen, huzzah!

Sooooooooooo howzabout an Appleseed for the Scouts ? [pot]

I'm gettin' one in the planning stages up here. [smile]
You plan it, we'll be there.

My club is in the earliest stages of planning an air gun match for the scouts and I thought an Appleseed would be just the ticket.

I keep looking at the schedule and trying to figure out how I can get an appleseed closer to my home.

1 + 1 = 2 but I'm not trying to steal space from an existing event.

I'm a very new member at the club but plan on attempting an Appleseed mini or maybe a full awn weekend if I can get the ear of the BOD. I need to attend a weekend first and get help from you gents here first but this is something I can see being a great event for all involved.

All you need is four feet per shooter on the firing line and 82 feet to the target stands.

We'll bring the rest.
Including the target stands.

Some of you seem to wonder about certifications.

We run our own Training Program, and we will train you.

Lots of good comments noted.

Sprocket, we can work in even small ranges, by running events at several small ranges the same weekend, and keeping staffing at each small and local (reduced cost). Yeah, we're even working on exactly that, so we can get Western Mass an Appleseed, and the range they're looking at is small.

As to the Boy Scouts, our California crew has been doing that, and I see no reason the Northeast can't do the same. Let's make it happen.

jay_chris, if you can do one weekend a month working Appleseed, that will be enough to be an Instructor, trust me. We can bring you on board easily enough.

Back
Top Bottom