10-22 LTR help

You kiddin'? I'm already one prescription behind. You think I'm going to get a new prescription for a pair of specialty glasses? I'd get my regular current prescription first. |-:

Just spoke to the optician, and the glasses are in. (-;

The regular ones, that is, not some special shooting ones. Really, I am probably going to need bi-focals next time around, so I don't know what people do then. )-:

Coyote, I think I'm quite a bit farther down that road than you are; my solution up til now has been a scope. My current setup involves contact lenses and drugstore magnifiers for reading, etc; this works pretty well for most things, but not for shooting. That being said, I'm still eager to try a set of Tech Sights; I suspect the small aperture in the rear sight might help the eye to focus on the front sight and the target much the same way a camera's diaphragm controls depth of field and sharpness. Just a theory, this year we'll give it a try.

Doesn't Dick's Sporting Goods have either a BSA or Simmons 4x scope on special a lot of the time? I'd like one with a decent set of lenses, not the tiny tube ".22 scope" style.

Well, I am really in the mood to go shoot something, so I can throw my LTRs in the car this coming Saturday when I head up to Harvard Sportsman's. Let me know if you'd like to meet up there. (Yes, that was LTRs, plural - one's got a Weaver K7 scope on it and the other has a set of TSR 100 Tech Sights on it. You can try both. )

Hey Dwarven1, let me know if you ever get the inkling to try this again.

I'm on the verge of needing bifocals, and am at the point of not being sure if with or without glasses is better. If I could find a scope for a decent price which has a fiber reticle, that would be ideal.

[STRIKE]That said, I have my "trigger group" all apart again after another touch-up/tune-up with the stone, and am now not sure how to get it all together again.[/STRIKE]
Edit: I finally figured it out using some pictures from http://www.ruger22.com/

Last edited:
I'm on the verge of needing bifocals, and am at the point of not being sure if with or without glasses is better. If I could find a scope for a decent price which has a fiber reticle, that would be ideal.
Depends on how well you see with your glasses. You're the only one who can tell.

First, remember there is only one distance at which you really need to be able to focus, and it's only two feet or so from your eyeball. That's the front sight. You don't need to see the target to hit it, so long as you know where the target is. I shot my first rifleman scores with a scope, but have shot others with aperture sights while I never really saw the 400 yard targets.

Second, my wife shot a rifleman score using a scope I took off a break-barrel airgun. A scope need not be fancy.

OK, I am looking at options for a 10-22.

Right now, it is stock, other than an extended magazine release a forum member sent me.

I have heard of a couple changes to make the rifle A) more accurate B) more reliable C) more usable. What I don't want to do is build an incredibly expensive .22 target rifle. What I DO want is to improve my rifle for the least possible money put into it.

Well, I've done a few of these. See comments.

A) Trigger job? Trigger replacement? Sear replacement? Do it yourself? Leave it alone? Firing pin? Other? Again, think the least invested for the most gained.

OK, I redid the stoning job on my trigger/sear. I was not quite as cautious this time, and the results were quite noticeably better. I may do it a teeny tiny bit more if I ever have this apart again, which might be likely... read on...

A) Tech sights look good, but I want a fiber optic front. Or do you think a fluorescent painted dot on the front sight will do it? Right now, the black stinks out loud.

I put some bright orange/red nail polish on the front dot, which helped a bit. I saw some yellow when I took my kid down that aisle in the drugstore, and might just pony up the $3.00 for a fluorescent yellow/green front dot.

B1) I sometimes have jams. I think it is not ejecting properly, and then blocks the next round from feeding. Is there an extractor or ejector or something which fixes this? Again, think the least invested for the most gained.

This doesn't seem to be so bad after a decent cleaning. I will still consider the aftermarket replacement one if it comes back often enough.

B2) What lube to use? Where? How often?

I just use Hoppes #9 for cleaning and a touch of Remoil, then a wipe to take away excess. Seems to work for me.

B3) Bore snake, or cleaning rod? The cleaning rod is easier, but just wondering, as bore snakes are popular. I just don't like the idea of putting that into the washing machine.

So far, I've been just using the cleaning rod. I also have a piece of nylon "string" I got from a landscaper. I just went up to him and asked for a few feet, and offered to pay him a buck or two, but he gave it to me. This is quite a bit thicker than the regular homeowner stuff. It coils up and transports well, along with a box of ammo, some patches and a target, all in an old school green bookbag.

B4) Do you folks find more powerful ammo results in better reliability? I have had great success with Velocitor, but it is expensive. I wish they sold it in bricks.

The Federal bulk pack stuff seems to work OK. Still wishing for Velocitor bulk packs.

C) What am I missing? I plan on a sling, but not until some of the other stuff is sorted out, and I may want to check some out first.

I'm sure I'll do a sling. Might wait until I see one in person though. I rue paying as much or more in shipping than what an item costs.

Others may disagree with me on this, but I think you want the front sight flat black as possible. I tried the same thing with paint and discovered that the reflection of sunlight really threw me off. I have since learned that the folks that shoot high power use a carbide lamp to blacken their front sight. There is also a product called "Sight Black" in a spray can.

I might consider Tech Sights, but want to try one first. If it is good, then I might consider one with a fiber optic front for brightness.

Back
Top Bottom