help/Stuck Case

I think you might get shat on for that...lol. Video makes it look real easy.(Schrivener?)

Also, make sure your brass is clean before resizing, ensure you use a proper lube (don't use a petroleum wax based lube). Also, clean your dies after every use!

I think you might get shat on for that...lol. Video makes it look real easy.(Schrivener?)

Scrivener is always nice to people in the reloading forum, very patient. Must be Feng shui in here. But spelling his name wrong might just earn you a trip to the wood shed... [devil2]

RCBS makes a very effective and not very expensive stuck case remover kit. It uses slowly applied torque via screw threads, so it does not damage the die. (The case, of course, will be DOA.) Everyone should have one of these kits on the bench, as a stuck case is an inevitability.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...370102&cm_ite=0018791212467a&_requestid=76317

the case is already doa i ripped the base of the case clean off if i cant get it i found out that lee will charge 4 bucks and do it for me but id be out a die for a week or more

the case is already doa i ripped the base of the case clean off if i cant get it i found out that lee will charge 4 bucks and do it for me but id be out a die for a week or more

Sounds like the best thing to do is send the die in to Lee , buy the stuck case removal kit and perhaps a spare die as well.

Shit happens. [hmmm]

Better luck naxt time.

RCBS makes a very effective and not very expensive stuck case remover kit. It uses slowly applied torque via screw threads, so it does not damage the die. (The case, of course, will be DOA.) Everyone should have one of these kits on the bench, as a stuck case is an inevitability.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...370102&cm_ite=0018791212467a&_requestid=76317

With the proper tap, a screw, and some washers you an do the same thing. Though that kit is fairly reasonably priced.

KTP might have the RCBS, or equivalent, stuck case remover kit in stock. They're open Sundays, so you could call to check and maybe be back in business in a couple hours. Alternatively, you could drive down here to Bolton and use my remover - PM me if you'd like to do that (but you really should have your own remover eventually).

You can get everything you need to make your own at the hardware store (I had all this stuff on hand).

You'll need one of each:

#7 drill
1/4-20 tap
Tap handle
3/8" drive, 1/2" socket (a deep socket works best)
1/4-20 bolt about 1/2" longer than the socket
A few 1/4 flat washers

Here's what you do:
  1. Remove the die from the press.
  2. Unscrew and removethe decapping pin (if you can't remove it, loosen it up as much as you can.
  3. Put the die with the stuck case into a vise so that the primer hole is facing straight up. Drill the primer pocket out with the #7 drill, taking care not to over-penetrate when the drill breaks through.
  4. Tap the hole you just made with the 1/4-20 tap.
  5. Leaving the die in the vise, place the 1/2" socket on top of the die so that the square drive part is facing up at you and the open part of the socket is centered over the stuck case.
  6. Drop the bolt through the socket so that the end touches the case head, and look at how much of the bolt is sticking up above the socket.
  7. Remove the bolt and add flat washers to it until there's only 1/4" of bolt shaft showing above the top washer when you drop the bolt/washers back through the socket and onto the case.
  8. Screw the bolt into the tapped hole with you fingers, then using a 7/16" wrench, slowly tighten the bolt to draw the case out of the die.

If you're going to be near Groton today, bring it over and I'll get it out for you.

Last edited:
I did the same exact thing yesterday. I got it out like the video shows and ruined the decapping pin. The very tip was slightly bent. So I ordered a new one and took the old one to work where I have a vice and tried to straighten her out... needless to say I broke it.

I guess I Will triple check the lube next time. Also, what is the best method for cleaning the die after use?

Also, what is the best method for cleaning the die after use?

I don't bother to clean my dies after every use, but when I do I back the decapping insert out and then treat them pretty much like a gun barrel, using a slotted tip, patch and solvent followed by clean dry patch(es), then a quick pass with a lightly oiled patch.

Back
Top Bottom