stuck cases

gerrycaruso

NES Member
Anyone use Frankford Arsenal case lube? I've used it for several years but very recently I'm getting stuck cases. I tried a different die and it didn't help. It only happens with 308 Winchester and it happened about one out of three. I switched to Imperial sizing wax. The resistance was much less and the problem went away. Did Frankford change their formula?

Had to switch to Imp. wax for sizing .308's - that round is weirder to reload than everything else..... ;)

For 223/5.56 I use the Frankford. For larger calibers (303B, Arisaka, 30-06, etc.) I use the Imperial wax mostly because they are smaller batches. I haven’t noticed a difference in the Frankford.

If you are going through bottles that quickly have you considered making your own lanolin solution?

Anyone use Frankford Arsenal case lube? I've used it for several years but very recently I'm getting stuck cases. I tried a different die and it didn't help. It only happens with 308 Winchester and it happened about one out of three. I switched to Imperial sizing wax. The resistance was much less and the problem went away. Did Frankford change their formula?
that is why i made this. as 308 just always gets stuck. and with this thing - it just works, always, clean or dirty.
last batches i ran 400 of 308 brass and then 500 of 6.5cm - those you gave me, not a single issue, and did not have to pre-lube nothing. a colossal time saver.

send me a PM - i will ship you one. i presume you are using dillon? it`s cold, so i do not plan getting to harvard this or next week.

PS. on the topic - yes, i used it, the FA lube, and it was getting stuck on range old brass a lot.

Last edited:
I forget the brand I first tried but ended up going to Imperial wax long ago and never have stuck case problems. Something new I'm trying for larger batches is a home brew lanolin spray diluted with 99.9% iso. Someone on this forum informed me that Imperial is simply lanolin. The spray concoction seems to work as good for case release plus it is faster, way cheaper, and leaves less residue.

I'm still using generic petroleum jelly. If you're stuck on name brands, use Vaseline. It is prone to compression dents, if too much is used (as with any lube), but otherwise it works just fine. I've recommended this multiple times over the decades, but it's never caught on apparently. I guess most just want a spray-on product versus an old school lube pad or simply apply by fingers.

so.. after 2 yrs of reloading 30-06, I've had 2 stuck cases in one week. First one, I went out and bought the RCBS case remover kit.. worked ok, but even though the case came out of the die, the pin was still stuck inside, so I had to cut the case to remove the pin. That time I went and got a pipe cutter from the garage.

2nd time, also used the removal tool, but this time I somehow bent the decapping/resizing pin. Used some snips to cut the casing this time. Just ordered a few replacement pins from MidwayUSA.

I'm using the Lee Pacesetter die kit. I liberally applied the OneShot lube... most cases went fine, but there were a few much more snug and tighter than the others.. A buddy gave me a box of cases from his last outing.. thinking these might be the problem cases.

Any thoughts that might help?

Not a fan of one shot, too many stuck cases for me.
I use Pam cooking spray - very lightly! - for regular cases and imperial sizing wax for reforming cases into different calibers. Ymmv.

I use lanolin and 99% isopropyl
Put a bunch of cases in a cardboard box, spray liberally and shake to coat.
Let the alcohol flash off and give another spray/shake cycle.
Then let the cases completely dry.

A quick shot of spray into the die to coat the expander helps on the upstroke.

Back
Top Bottom