• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

357 mag need help

houdini

NES Member
Trying to load 357 mag, sticking out of a case gage, when I make the bullet, They been loaded a lot of times, I do not feel a bulge at the end. Mix head stamp. Should I get new brass.

Attachments

• 20240208_140751.jpg
    20240208_140751.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 52
Trying to load 357 mag, sticking out of a case gage, when I make the bullet, They been loaded a lot of times, I do not feel a bulge at the end. Mix head stamp. Should I get new brass.
Hmmm I’ve never had that and I have some well loved brass.
Your sizing die is adjusted properly? Try sizing a piece of brass and check that in the gauge by itself. If that passes then it’s not the sizing.

Bullets are proper diameter?

Crimp is good?

What is your setup ? Press, dies, are you roll crimping or taper ? Do you bell case mouth before bullet insertion, and lead or jacketed/plated bullets ? Something is amiss somewhere.....
A Lee Factory Crimp Die resizes the case during the crimping process !

I love my Lee FCD's, and I use them to only remove the bell.
Wadcutters and such I use standard taper or roll dies.
OP should make sure each die is set up properly, esp sizing die.

Case length will effect a roll crimp or factory crimp more than a taper crimp. If case is too short or all cases are not the same length you will get variations in the amount of crimp you get. Not enough crimp might leave to much belling in the casemouth.
The length of the case doesnt matter too much in headspace issues due to this caliber headspacing on the case rim.....

Sounds like something isn't set up correctly on your press. Why not double check everything?
mr-bean-waiting-meme-template-8t2ut_thumbnail.jpg

I'll put a $1 down on your station 1 sizer die having an issue,.. or not enough case flare? Let's make a video!

Last edited:
Not that I've seen YMMV !!!
If you use cast bullets it swages them down - your individual results may vary but bullet size is very important to not leading up your gun.

If you need the FCD with the sizing ring then you have a problem somewhere else in your reloading process. Fix that problem and you won't need the FCD.

The FCD with a collet like the 223 FCD is a great die.

Back
Top Bottom