• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloaded 357 mag

Do you remember if you were sober and had any sense of caution when you reloaded them? [laugh]

Age of the ammo is irrelevant, what matters is if they were reloaded properly.
This. I’ve shot ammo from the 50s and 60s without any issues. I’ve also used some Hercules 2400 powder that was from the 70s. No issues

Ya I loaded and fired many of these rounds back in the day. I just picked up a python so I went looking for them.
So, what is the reason for your question?

If you've loaded and fired many of them before, what makes you think they'd be any different now?

Did you have issues with those reloads before and not wanting to put them through a new gun?

There are times I wonder how well reloaded ammo works after many years in storage. If anything the powder has degraded some so the pressures will be a bit lower. would be more concerned about squibs than excessive pressures.

Besides for testing loads that stray a bit from published data, old reloads are good enough of a reason to have a cheap test platform.

There are times I wonder how well reloaded ammo works after many years in storage. If anything the powder has degraded some so the pressures will be a bit lower. would be more concerned about squibs than excessive pressures.

Besides for testing loads that stray a bit from published data, old reloads are good enough of a reason to have a cheap test platform.
I doubt there is any degradation involved with the powder unless the ammo has been stored in poor conditions.

If you don't trust the reloads then pull them.

I shoot milsurp ammo regularly that was made in the 1960s. It all goes bang....its all very consistent and accurate. If it's stored in a dry place powder does not degrade.

It will work the same as factory ammo. There is no magic in factory ammo.

It will work the same as factory ammo. There is no magic in factory ammo.
Truth. I've had more squibs and misfires with factory ammo than I've had with my reloads.
Several years ago I was shooting some Santa Barbara surplus 7.62 NATO and had an odd malfunction that took me a minute to realize what it was... A squib. Damn that would suck to be a soldier in the heat of battle and have that happen.

Back
Top Bottom