• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Quick change from 38 Spl to 357 Mag

Mikie

NES Member
You guys that load both 38 Spl and 357 Mag do you have a washer that you use to compensate for the difference in brass length instead of readjusting them every time you switch?

Same question either 44 Spl vs 44 Mag.

I don’t because I just use magnum brass for magnum and “special” loads

But this is probably what you need?

I have done it in the past for a sizing die. One set of dies I scored years ago came with some home made washers and they worked great.

Definitely a nice investment for a single stage.

in 44, I just load 'light' magnum brass and swap powder/projo as needed.

For 44Spl level, it's usually HP-38 and change out to AA9/N110 for something
w/ more umpf.

For the one time expense of $25 head and $45 Lee set, it's easier to just put in a new toolhead.

Last edited:
Yes. I h.ad a machinist friend make me two spacers: .135" for .38/.357 and .125 for 44 Spl/Mag. Adjust the dies for the shorter round; use the spacer for belling and seating the longer rounds. Been doing this for decades.

I use the spacers myself, on a dillon 550. For these I use rcbs style lock rings with the set screws so that way they stay adjusted. I use 158g swc for both 357/38 so that makes it easy to swap out no adjustments.

I had a couple spare tool heads laying around and picked up a second of dies. Even got a powder funnel die for basically free so all I have to do is switch over the powder drop and I’m good to go for my 650.

The main reason I’m bothering to load 44 Spl is because someone at my gun club fired a bunch of factory 44 Spl ammo and left the OFB in the brass bucket. I guess I’m kind of a brass hound so I grabbed them knowing I’ll make use of them in my model 29. Maybe I will pry open my wallet and get another set of dies…

Back
Top Bottom