• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Held a Sig P238 today

If you are ever going to be in the Springfield area send me a PM. I'll take you to S&W shooting center to try ours. The wife has not shot hers yet so I can't give you a report on it yet, but you are more then welcome to give it a try

I can't speak much to the sigs , but as far as iwb, i have to say as well as a few others, The Remora Holster is amazing , it gets alot more attention than my crossbreed supertuck, im taller than you, and i can manage to conceal a Glock 26 IWB semi-comfortably, alot of people when i do carry the 26 in just a set of loose jeans and a fitted t-shirt , can tell im carrying. i once carried to Harvard to meet a friend , and he didn't know i was carrying till i unholstered it and put it on the table, hes like where you carrying that the whole time lol. , i love that gun, it shoots amazingly easy shooter for a subcompact 9mm. plus my backup high cap glock 17 mag fits in it, which is why its my main carry gun. but due to weight , it ends up in the remora holster, wedged in my purse, which might not be the best idea for everyone, but i like it, plus the remora grips the side of the purse and its easy to pull out of my coach bag:) idk i like my purse carry , im carrying 80%+ .

honestly try tons of guns out and see what works best for you,

I can't speak much to the sigs , but as far as iwb, i have to say as well as a few others, The Remora Holster is amazing , it gets alot more attention than my crossbreed supertuck, im taller than you, and i can manage to conceal a Glock 26 IWB semi-comfortably, alot of people when i do carry the 26 in just a set of loose jeans and a fitted t-shirt , can tell im carrying. i once carried to Harvard to meet a friend , and he didn't know i was carrying till i unholstered it and put it on the table, hes like where you carrying that the whole time lol. , i love that gun, it shoots amazingly easy shooter for a subcompact 9mm. plus my backup high cap glock 17 mag fits in it, which is why its my main carry gun. but due to weight , it ends up in the remora holster, wedged in my purse, which might not be the best idea for everyone, but i like it, plus the remora grips the side of the purse and its easy to pull out of my coach bag:) idk i like my purse carry , im carrying 80%+ .

honestly try tons of guns out and see what works best for you,

Sometimes I wish, Scriv, was still around.,,

uhh who is this scriv????

Scrivener was a Green member banned before you joined. He is also an exceptional Firearms Attorney from what I understand.

He is best know for his sometimes brutally honest replies to noobs and the ill informed. His verbal retorts were of a of a caliber unmatched before or since. When he unleashed on you it was said that you had been "Scrived".

When a member mentions his name after one of your posts, it generally means that they feel if he was still around you would be on the receiving end of a verbal beating. He was also a stickler for spelling and grammar and your post was a good example of the type of post he would have a field day with.

I mean no offense.

oh lol

yeh im really horrible about posts and typing , cause i never pay too much attention to proper grammer at the time. for some reason i use alot of (,)'s instead of (.)'s its a typing thing i guess. it could be that i never like my thoughts to end. I'm so used to writing down everything i can as a writer . Its like trying to never let my pen get off the paper trying to get more ideas out as i write my book . I end up doing this alot when ideas come for my new book im writing. It kind of seeps into everything else as i contemplate.

While shooting the p238, at no time did the gun want to move up out of the hands. It felt really good and solid. There are some really nice Houge rubber grips with a nice weld for your fingers available for the p238. Even though the orignial feel is good, these replacement grips made the gun feel perfect. $30 or so.

While shooting the p238, at no time did the gun want to move up out of the hands. It felt really good and solid. There are some really nice Houge rubber grips with a nice weld for your fingers available for the p238. Even though the orignial feel is good, these replacement grips made the gun feel perfect. $30 or so.

Great to hear another positive testimonial for the P238. I don't think anyone has posted any bad feedback for it yet so far... that's a good sign [smile] or.. people just aren't posting that lol

It seems to have been the first production run or two that had issues.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

If you plan to IWB go with a 239 or bigger, the 238 is more of a pocket carry gun, which is what I do with it in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Something to keep in mind, the Sig documentation states and I'm going to paraphrase "carry it locked and cocked or keep the chamber empty, do not have a round in the chamber with the hammer depressed".

If you plan to IWB go with a 239 or bigger, the 238 is more of a pocket carry gun, which is what I do with it in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Something to keep in mind, the Sig documentation states and I'm going to paraphrase "carry it locked and cocked or keep the chamber empty, do not have a round in the chamber with the hammer depressed".

I will never be pocket carrying any gun. I can barely fit my iPhone in my pocket, even that sticks out about half way. I wonder why the doc says to not have a round in the chamber with the hammer depressed?? Does it cause wear and tear on the hammer or spring if it's depressed with a round in the chamber? Or would it go off easier accidentally?

I didn't notice you were a woman, I understand why pocket carry is not an option. From what I read depressing the hammer bypasses some of the internal safeties in the 238 so if there is a round chambered, there is the possibility of a ND. For that reason I made the 238 my around the house gun and leave the chamber clear. When I go out depending on the season and what I'm doing I IWB my 239, or pocket carry my S&W 637.

I carried a Colt Mustang for years in a MOB holster. I never felt quite comfortable having a cocked and locked single action in my pocket, even if it was in a holster.

I much prefer my Kahr 380 to the old Colt, it feels safer to me.

The Mustang is very accurate and dependable, but I just won't take the chance that I could flick off the safety if the gun was in my pocket.

I like the Sig holster for pocket carry. Looks like a big wallet and covers well enough.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

I will never be pocket carrying any gun. I can barely fit my iPhone in my pocket, even that sticks out about half way. I wonder why the doc says to not have a round in the chamber with the hammer depressed?? Does it cause wear and tear on the hammer or spring if it's depressed with a round in the chamber? Or would it go off easier accidentally?
It is basically a mini 1911. You carry it either condition 1 -- chamber full, hammer cocked, safety on -- or condition 3 -- chamber empty, hammer down, safety off.

Condition 2 -- chamber full, hammer down, safety off -- just doesn't make much sense. To get to condition 2, you will have to manually lower the hammer on a live round, as the P238 does not have a decocker. And since it is single action, pulling the trigger won't do anything, so to put it into action you will have to manually cock the hammer. Lowering the safety is faster and less fumble prone than cocking the hammer.

I carry a P239 IWB in a tuckable holster from Cleveland's Holsters . I can conceal it easily on my body. You'd probably be able to go as large as a p239 and still conceal it, even on a very petite frame. You're going to have more issues with bulk (width) than with length of barrel and frame in the compact/subcompact range.

For the P238, I'd recommend a holster from Cleveland's Holsters, or a crossbreed (similar design, though I like cleveland's better). A good belt combined with that type of holster and you'll hardly notice it's there, plus it will be quite concealable. You might have a problem if you like to wear you pants painted-on-tight, but for normal fit on up, you should be ok.

Check out Limalife's videos on concealment on youtube. She's quite a bit taller than you, but has a very tiny waist and not much waistband-real-estate. I think she might help you get better ideas of what to try and what to not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6id83qgQVic <-- Holster Talk1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46EktyGjfY4 <-- Holster Talk2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv-9jjRFutc <-- Holster Talk3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1r_JhFl8pM <-- Holster Talk4

Before I got the IWB from Cleveland's (and my Sig P239) I carried a Beretta 92FS in my purse. I do have a specific carry-purse from Galco (Metropolitian), which is great, but purse carry does have it's downsides. You don't ever get to put that purse down unattended. If it's not on my shoulder, it's between my feet and gripped there (at a restaurant, etc). Some days I do still carry my P239 in the purse, when my clothing choices do not allow IWB carry, but I prefer IWB whenever possible.

I carry a P239 IWB in a tuckable holster from Cleveland's Holsters . I can conceal it easily on my body. You'd probably be able to go as large as a p239 and still conceal it, even on a very petite frame. You're going to have more issues with bulk (width) than with length of barrel and frame in the compact/subcompact range.

For the P238, I'd recommend a holster from Cleveland's Holsters, or a crossbreed (similar design, though I like cleveland's better). A good belt combined with that type of holster and you'll hardly notice it's there, plus it will be quite concealable. You might have a problem if you like to wear you pants painted-on-tight, but for normal fit on up, you should be ok.

Check out Limalife's videos on concealment on youtube. She's quite a bit taller than you, but has a very tiny waist and not much waistband-real-estate. I think she might help you get better ideas of what to try and what to not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6id83qgQVic <-- Holster Talk1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46EktyGjfY4 <-- Holster Talk2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv-9jjRFutc <-- Holster Talk3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1r_JhFl8pM <-- Holster Talk4

Before I got the IWB from Cleveland's (and my Sig P239) I carried a Beretta 92FS in my purse. I do have a specific carry-purse from Galco (Metropolitian), which is great, but purse carry does have it's downsides. You don't ever get to put that purse down unattended. If it's not on my shoulder, it's between my feet and gripped there (at a restaurant, etc). Some days I do still carry my P239 in the purse, when my clothing choices do not allow IWB carry, but I prefer IWB whenever possible.

Thanks for the suggestions and I will check out the youtube vids. I would never purse carry. That's just asking for trouble in Mass, in my opinion. Plus, I dislike carrying a purse as it is anyway! [rolleyes] Any belt suggestions for me/a female? I'm going to assume you are female, since you said you purse carry sometimes lol

Thanks for the suggestions and I will check out the youtube vids. I would never purse carry. That's just asking for trouble in Mass, in my opinion. Plus, I dislike carrying a purse as it is anyway! [rolleyes] Any belt suggestions for me/a female? I'm going to assume you are female, since you said you purse carry sometimes lol

Yes, I'm female. :D Belt suggestions: try them on, if you can. You might find a contour one works better for you, you might find a straight one does. I'm actually using a really really crappy belt right now (it imitates a wet noodle. I think the wet-noodle has more structural integrity!), but looking around for something better. It is hard to go wrong with Galco or Kramer for leather. There's also someone on here who does custom leather belts (I think I'm going to order one from him soon.) http://andysleather.com/ is the guy, I think.

What you're really wanting in a belt is something with sufficient stiffness that the belt holds up the weight of holster and firearm w/o sagging rather than having to tighten it down so far it's uncomfortable to get stability. Stiff/rigid is good. Most girl-pants will take a 1.25" belt, I think, so I'd probably go for that. I think 1.5" belt is too wide for many belt-loops on girl-pants, even though a 1.5" belt will likely be more stable/stronger. The suggested webbing 'instructor's belt' might also work for you, too. You don't need a specific 'this is a gun belt'-belt though your requirements will probably be best met by a gun belt.

Back
Top Bottom