• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Held a Sig P238 today

minininjer

NES Door Greeter
Felt real nice. My friend has one, maybe I'll try his out before deciding if I want this for my CCW (when I get my LTC, only been 2 wks so far). I'll probably be looking for an "inside the pants" type holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant say much about the Sig P238 since I havnt shot one yet, but for IWB (Inside Waist Band) carry I suggest a Crossbreed minituck. Expensive, but the most comfortable holster Ive used so far

Felt real nice. My friend has one, maybe I'll try his out before deciding if I want this for my CCW (when I get my LTC, only been 2 wks so far). I'll probably be looking for an "inside the pants" type holster.
Honestly, a gun the size of a 238 is a pocket gun. If you are going to be carrying IWB, you can just as easily conceal a much bigger gun that is in a better caliber, has a longer grip, a longer sight radius, greater capacity, and is far easier to shoot.

If you really want the 238, then get a pocket holster for it. If you really want to carry IWB, then get a bigger gun.

Honestly, a gun the size of a 238 is a pocket gun. If you are going to be carrying IWB, you can just as easily conceal a much bigger gun that is in a better caliber, has a longer grip, a longer sight radius, greater capacity, and is far easier to shoot.

If you really want the 238, then get a pocket holster for it. If you really want to carry IWB, then get a bigger gun.

I don't think I would be able to conceal a bigger gun. A P238 or bigger gun would never fit in my pocket. I am pretty petite so I think the P238 is a great size for IWB carry for me.

I don't think I would be able to conceal a bigger gun. A P238 or bigger gun would never fit in my pocket. I am pretty petite so I think the P238 is a great size for IWB carry for me.

Fair enough. Ladies do have a tougher time concealing guns than men do.

I carry my 238 with cheap uncle mike pocket holster. I slipped the firearm in my jean and It's like carry a pack of cigarette.

I bought my fiancee (also a petite asian girl) her P238 earlier today (early Xmas present) and we immediately took it out for a test run at Braintree. That thing is nice! I was very accurate with it considering I never shot it or any .380 before. The SA trigger pull was quick and crisp. Center of the target the whole time. Even though my pinky had nowhere to rest it felt pretty good if I curled it under the bottom of the grip sort of as a base for it.

Oh and she likes it too. [wink]

I am very happy with my Kahr PM9. It is the smallest 9mm you can buy in Mass and has surprisingly little recoil and is accurate.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9.asp.

The 9mm is a much more effective defensive round. I love my bigger Sigs but the Kahr is a nice little compact pistol.

I got mine from the nice folks at Acme Armament for a great price

you could go this route!
hellokitty.jpg

So lets see... Sig P238, Walther PPS 9, Kahr PM9... How about Ruger LCP? S&W Bodyguard 380?

The Crossbreed Minituck looks great... maybe even the Microclip?

Both my fiance and I carry P238s (her an equinox, me a standard one for hot days or a backup gun). She uses the Crossbreed Mini-tuck and is 4'11" tall. I use both the Desantis Tuck-This II and the Sig Wallet/Pocket holster for it. The Sig holster also works well to keep a gun upright in my fiances purse.

Both my fiance and I carry P238s (her an equinox, me a standard one for hot days or a backup gun). She uses the Crossbreed Mini-tuck and is 4'11" tall. I use both the Desantis Tuck-This II and the Sig Wallet/Pocket holster for it. The Sig holster also works well to keep a gun upright in my fiances purse.

Oh, cool! I am also 4'11" (I round up, though). In her purse? You/She must not be in MA, right? Thanks for the feedback here [grin]

We are in MA. She has only tried the purse once and it didn't leave her shoulder. I put it in a cargo pocket or jeans front pocket.

FWIW.. I have a 238 and like it very much. It is basically a remake of the Colt 380 (was it the mustang or pony?). Compared to some of the other offerings, keltec, Ruger, Seecamp et al...
It feels substantially heavier than either of the poly guns (ruger/ Keltec) as it is steel vs polymer. This makes it quite a bit more enjoyable to shoot at the trade off of the weight when carried.
Vs a seecamp or NAA, it feels about the same weight a little bigger but feels flatter and less blocky.
Compared to the PPS substantially smaller and lighter.

As far as carry goes, for a woman, I could definitely see ankle holster or small of back as being viable.

FWIW.. I have a 238 and like it very much. It is basically a remake of the Colt 380 (was it the mustang or pony?). Compared to some of the other offerings, keltec, Ruger, Seecamp et al...
It feels substantially heavier than either of the poly guns (ruger/ Keltec) as it is steel vs polymer. This makes it quite a bit more enjoyable to shoot at the trade off of the weight when carried.
Vs a seecamp or NAA, it feels about the same weight a little bigger but feels flatter and less blocky.
Compared to the PPS substantially smaller and lighter.

As far as carry goes, for a woman, I could definitely see ankle holster or small of back as being viable.

What you said above is my opinion as well regarding the 238. I love the look and feel of the gun, and I'm sure it is also a great shooter (haven't had the opportunity to actually fire one yet), but for me, the weight is a dealbreaker - especially since I would only buy a gun that small for pocket carry. If comparing that to the BG, I would pick the BG hands down, solely because of the weight for my intended use (pocket carry). For IWB, there is no reason to go that small, so it would make the 238 useless (for me). OP, for you the weight might also be a factor, even for IWB carry. The only thing I wish with the BG is that you could get it without the stupid laser, as it could be even smaller without that.

So lets see... Sig P238, Walther PPS 9, Kahr PM9... How about Ruger LCP? S&W Bodyguard 380?

The LCP is OK for what it is, may or may not be hard to find in MA, though, but I wouldn't let that stop you. (They are around, you just have to look. )

I would stay the hell away from the BG380. You end up paying for a worthless laser (that's pretty much impossible to turn on with any amount of speed to make it useful) and the trigger pull on that thing is far worse than it is on the LCP.

The Kahr PM9 (preferably, a non-MA version) is pretty much the king of guns in this class, although guns like the LCP are still significantly smaller than it is.

-Mike

Not sure of the weight comparison and total length specs compared to your other choice but I have been extremely happy with my Ruger SR9c. You get 10 rounds of 9mm in it. I have used both Crossbreed Supertuck and Comp-tac M-tac style IWB holsters and they are both awesome holsters for daily carry, good concealment.

If you wanted to shoot my Ruger I could meet up at a club for you.

The LCP is OK for what it is, may or may not be hard to find in MA, though, but I wouldn't let that stop you. (They are around, you just have to look. )

I would stay the hell away from the BG380. You end up paying for a worthless laser (that's pretty much impossible to turn on with any amount of speed to make it useful) and the trigger pull on that thing is far worse than it is on the LCP.

The Kahr PM9 (preferably, a non-MA version) is pretty much the king of guns in this class, although guns like the LCP are still significantly smaller than it is.

-Mike

I agree but think the Kakr/PPS/ 9mm generally is going to be too big. While a better gun all around I think it would be considered far too big and left at home rather than carried.

Where we are talking about a woman there is a whole different dynamic of carry. Women generally don't carry stuff in their pockets. Women, generally, wear tighter clothes. I think a woman could get away with an LCP or a 238 in IWB carry as it is small and thin enough. With jeans, and a belt, I think either the 238 or lcp would be obscured enough not to be noticed.

Overall, I think the LCP/ Keltec being lighter would be the better option.

Last edited:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gratuitous leg hump, only thing I don't like is the caliber I can't understand why it cost as much as it does.

I agree but think the Kakr/PPS/ 9mm generally is going to be too big. While a better gun all around I think it would be considered far too big and left at home rather than carried.

Where we are talking about a woman there is a whole different dynamic of carry. Women generally don't carry stuff in their pockets. Women, generally, wear tighter clothes. I think a woman could get away with an LCP or a 238 in IWB carry as it is small and thin enough. With jeans, and a belt, I think either the 238 or lcp would be obscured enough not to be noticed.

Overall, I think the LCP/ Keltec being lighter would be the better option.

The 238 is actual just a hair bigger than the Kahr. The LCP is a hair smaller ( about a half inch in o/a height ) but .380 is an anemic round at best. I know, I know... shot placement blah blah.... more people have been killed with a .22 blah blah...

.380 is better than a sharp stick but no comparison to 9mm. I don't want to get shot with either but if you shoot me with a 380 I might get angry enough to beat you to death. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom