• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Healey / MA / Right to Bear...

You’re missing my point. I’m saying the right to keep and bear arms has nothing to do with just being able to go to a private property range or to hunt.

The fact that you can’t hunt with rifles means that you can’t even carry them for that reason. My overarching point is that essentially there is no right to keep and bear arms when it comes to rifles in Massachusetts.

How is that constitutional?
You can hunt coyote bear grey squirrel rabbit with rifles in mass. Deer is shotgun only. Stop blithering.

You can hunt with a rifle in mass. Not for deer. But you can use a rifle on other critters.
Op is a blithering idiot that just quotes what he "hears" second hand and doesnt even research himself. A quick Google of mass hunting regs would easily show multiple game animals in mass for which a rifle is legal to use.

With respect to the ongoing Healey lawsuit that the Supreme Court (hopefully) will be able to hear in our lifetime, I had a question about The actual right to bear arms in MA.

I understand that a lawfully licensed person can keep a long gun, unloaded, in a box that is locked up.

I also understand that this long gun cannot come out of that box, off your property, unless you’re hunting.

I can carry a large capacity pre-ban pistol with hundreds of rounds of ammo and magazines of all sizes, all over my body ...but I can’t take a rifle out of its box on public property unless I’m hunting (oh wait, nope can’t hunt with rifles).

Can someone please explain to me how that issue was never brought to court as an absolute definition of infringement of the second amendment!?
Op I get your frustration with mass gun law .....I really do. But ......if your going to rant.......make sure you have your facts straight......because you truly do not know anything at all about mass gun law or hunting regulations. So on a scale of 1-10 I give your rant a negative 8.5

Last edited:

Attachments

• WGI_1554.JPG
    WGI_1554.JPG
    451.7 KB · Views: 7
  • WGI_1506.JPG
    WGI_1506.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Bobcat.JPG
    Bobcat.JPG
    466.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Bear face.JPG
    Bear face.JPG
    370.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Bear-1.jpg
    Bear-1.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Yeh good luck finding those in MA
Mass black bear harvest was 137 in 2019 down slightly from the 145 that were harvested in 2018 and 151 in 2017. They are around in the western zones where they are legal to hunt. The harvest is generally low because they are a challenge to hunt and most hunters don't bother.

Op I get your frustration with mass gun law .....I really do. But ......if your going to rant.......make sure you have your facts straight......because you truly do not know anything at all about mass gun law or hunting regulations. So on a scale of 1-10 I give your rant a negative 8.5
You're too generous today! Jack.

Op is a blithering idiot that just quotes what he "hears" second hand and doesnt even research himself. A quick Google of mass hunting regs would easily show multiple game animals in mass for which a rifle is legal to use.

I love how questions about one premise are spun into an argument about fringe hunting and then insults.

My point: If you look at the majority of hunting licenses sold for-purpose, the lions share of hunting game is for deer/duck/upland/turkey primarily. Are there fringe exceptions (just to argue a weak point of yours)? Yes. Of course. Just across the border in NH and VT you can hunt with large caliber rifle those animals that MA restricts to only shotgun.

This issue is about keeping and BEARING arms. To do so should not be thought of only in terms of hunting. THAT is how we shoot ourselves in our legal feet constantly.

If we simply say that the right to keep and bear arms is satisfied so long as we are hunting or on private property then we are missing the point of the entire second amendment

But hey ... I’m just blithering

I love how questions about one premise are spun into an argument about fringe hunting and then insults.

My point: If you look at the majority of hunting licenses sold for-purpose, the lions share of hunting game is for deer/duck/upland/turkey primarily. Are there fringe exceptions (just to argue a weak point of yours)? Yes. Of course. Just across the border in NH and VT you can hunt with large caliber rifle those animals that MA restricts to only shotgun.

This issue is about keeping and BEARING arms. To do so should not be thought of only in terms of hunting. THAT is how we shoot ourselves in our legal feet constantly.

If we simply say that the right to keep and bear arms is satisfied so long as we are hunting or on private property then we are missing the point of the entire second amendment

But hey ... I’m just blithering
You are blithering.

When your debating a point....you need to stick to the facts or you sound ignorant. In your rant you claim fact to at least two things that are just not true at all.

1. You clearly said you cant hunt with a rifle in mass. That is absolutely not true and to claim rabbit squirrel bear coyote all "fringe" exceptions is bullshit excuse for you trying to back pedal an drive home your point with additional ignorant claims. Plenty of people hunt those species in mass. The deer hunting restriction to shotgun is due to a high number of hunters for that short 2 week season combined with high housing density. There are a multitude of other states that restrict hunters to shotgun only on deer for those safety reasons.....it's not just mass.

2. Your bs statement that you can't take a long gun out if the "box" in public is also completely not true. For most long guns you don't even need to have them in a "box" at all to transport. Check the laws bud......it'll make your rant/debate much more intelligent.

Remember.....I also am pissy when it comes to mass gun law.......I just prefer to use facts when I debate and not make shit up as I go along.

Last edited:
You are blithering.

When your debating a point....you need to stick to the facts or you sound ignorant. In your rant you claim fact to at least two things that are just not true at all.

1. You clearly said you cant hunt with a rifle in mass. That is absolutely not true and to claim rabbit squirrel bear coyote all "fringe" exceptions is bullshit excuse for you trying to back pedal an drive home your point with additional ignorant claims. Plenty of people hunt those species in mass. The deer hunting restriction to shotgun is due to a high number of hunters for that short 2 week season combined with high housing density. There are a multitude of other states that restrict hunters to shotgun only on deer for those safety reasons.....it's not just mass.

2. Your bs statement that you can't take a long gun out if the "box" in public is also completely not true. For most long guns you don't even need to have them in a "box" at all to transport. Check the laws bud......it'll make your rant/debate much more intelligent.

Remember.....I also am pissy when it comes to mass gun law.......I just prefer to use facts when I debate and not make shit up as I go along.
A history note: Back when the Game laws were codified in Mass. There were no Firearms Manufacturers of Rifles. The Governor at the time being a Business protectionist pushed that Mass. would be a Shotgun State for the purpose of hunting deer. Actually Savage Arms was from Ilion, New York.

You see it’s people like this ‘whacko’ guy that make it hard for us to publicly argue any point of why our 2A is infringed here in Massachusetts.

If we follow his reasoning then all is hunky-dory because we’re able to keep and bear arms with trigger locks on Fudd-guns, shotguns or bolt actions by being hunters of squirrels ...

My long guns are both fudd and tactical high capacity. No I can’t take them out of the box in public. That’s not me making up shit it’s me being in a totally military police family that understands exactly where my ass is going to land if I pull that out off property or off base .

If we keep using insults to formulate our arguments and if we keep this limited to the idea that our rights are satisfied so long as we are hunting then our Attorney General will wipe the floor with us.

Whacko, I read your posts more as coming from somebody who is anti-Second Amendment than somebody who is pro

You see it’s people like this ‘whacko’ guy that make it hard for us to publicly argue any point of why our 2A is infringed here in Massachusetts.

If we follow his reasoning then all is hunky-dory because we’re able to keep and bear arms with trigger locks on Fudd-guns, shotguns or bolt actions by being hunters of squirrels ...

My long guns are both fudd and tactical high capacity. No I can’t take them out of the box in public. That’s not me making up shit it’s me being in a totally military police family that understands exactly where my ass is going to land if I pull that out off property or off base .

If we keep using insults to formulate our arguments and if we keep this limited to the idea that our rights are satisfied so long as we are hunting then our Attorney General will wipe the floor with us.

Whacko, I read your posts more as coming from somebody who is anti-Second Amendment than somebody who is pro
Don't assume too much about me bud. I'm full aware that mass gun laws suck. I'm trying to impress on you the importance of knowing facts in promoting gun rights arguments. Once you go down the road of spewing false details your argument is null.

What base are you on? Hanscom?

Apparently you are new to area, So Whacko is quite correct about what you have to say. Now You need to take a step back and do some research and read the laws. NOT READ INTO THEM. Now, I really don't care if you come from a MP family, That does not make you one. Also Many more MP's that I have met in my lifetime have very little understanding of the laws in the state where they are operating.

A history note: Back when the Game laws were codified in Mass. There were no Firearms Manufacturers of Rifles. The Governor at the time being a Business protectionist pushed that Mass. would be a Shotgun State for the purpose of hunting deer. Actually Savage Arms was from Ilion, New York.
I was not aware of that.

However....being an avid hunter in zones 9 and 10 I have no issue with the shotgun only rules on deer. I do not think it's a good idea to have a hunter with a 308 in small patches of huntable land packed with the orange army. Out in Western mass zones i think the state should lighten up and allow rifles.

Apparently you are new to area, So Whacko is quite correct about what you have to say. Now You need to take a step back and do some research and read the laws. NOT READ INTO THEM. Now, I really don't care if you come from a MP family, That does not make you one. Also Many more MP's that I have met in my lifetime have very little understanding of the laws in the state where they are operating.
He's an mp......don't worry he knows stuff. And being from an mp family means he knows even more stuff 😂

I was not aware of that.

However....being an avid hunter in zones 9 and 10 I have no issue with the shotgun only rules on deer. I do not think it's a good idea to have a hunter with a 308 in small patches of huntable land packed with the orange army. Out in Western mass zones i think the state should lighten up and allow rifles.
Oh, I agree. Think about it High Powered Rifle required for bear. I know, I know, statute does not allow slugs and buckshot except during the shotgun season on deer or on a recognized range.

Omg OP is not talking about how reasonable/unreasonable ma game laws might be. Wake up.
I'm not really talking about reasonable / unreasonable game laws either (my back and forth with @FisherTech was a side bar). He claims facts that are completely false. That is my point. If your going to make a statement about gun laws and how they suck(which they do).....you should actually know the gun laws and make factual statements about your argument.

I remember when my roommate at the time was reading the abstracts. He said to me "So mike, if I read this correctly it means that if I'm in this particular zone, I can actually use my M1 Garand to hunt squirrels?" I was like "hmmm... yeah holy shit, you could. But you can't shoot a deer with it. " [rofl]

-Mike

I remember when my roommate at the time was reading the abstracts. He said to me "So mike, if I read this correctly it means that if I'm in this particular zone, I can actually use my M1 Garand to hunt squirrels?" I was like "hmmm... yeah holy shit, you could. But you can't shoot a deer with it. " [rofl]

-Mike
That's the truth of mass hunting law. Strange as it is......that's the way it's written.

He said negative 8.5, hahahahahahaha!!!

Omg OP is not talking about how reasonable/unreasonable ma game laws might be. Wake up.

Well at least someone in here understands that I’m talking about carrying the actual firearms outside of hunting.

This is a perfect example of why we have these screwed up laws: insults and gang mentality override critical thinking. Limited 2A based on ‘hunting’ is not what 2A was for.

...someone must have got into some bad squirrel 🐿 I give up.

Don't assume too much about me bud. I'm full aware that mass gun laws suck. I'm trying to impress on you the importance of knowing facts in promoting gun rights arguments. Once you go down the road of spewing false details your argument is null.

What base are you on? Hanscom?

Off?

Well at least someone in here understands that I’m talking about carrying the actual firearms outside of hunting.

This is a perfect example of why we have these screwed up laws: insults and gang mentality override critical thinking. Limited 2A based on ‘hunting’ is not what 2A was for.

...someone must have got into some bad squirrel 🐿 I give up.
images.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom