Healey / MA / Right to Bear...

With respect to the ongoing Healey lawsuit that the Supreme Court (hopefully) will be able to hear in our lifetime, I had a question about The actual right to bear arms in MA.

I understand that a lawfully licensed person can keep a long gun, unloaded, in a box that is locked up.

I also understand that this long gun cannot come out of that box, off your property, unless you’re hunting.

I can carry a large capacity pre-ban pistol with hundreds of rounds of ammo and magazines of all sizes, all over my body ...but I can’t take a rifle out of its box on public property unless I’m hunting (oh wait, nope can’t hunt with rifles).

Can someone please explain to me how that issue was never brought to court as an absolute definition of infringement of the second amendment!?

With respect to the ongoing Healey lawsuit that the Supreme Court (hopefully) will be able to hear in our lifetime, I had a question about The actual right to bear arms in MA.

I understand that a lawfully licensed person can keep a long gun, unloaded, in a box that is locked up.

I also understand that this long gun cannot come out of that box, off your property, unless you’re hunting.

I can carry a large capacity pre-ban pistol with hundreds of rounds of ammo and magazines of all sizes, all over my body ...but I can’t take a rifle out of its box on public property unless I’m hunting (oh wait, nope can’t hunt with rifles).

Can someone please explain to me how that issue was never brought to court as an absolute definition of infringement of the second amendment!?
Can said long-gun go to the range? Yes. Are you saying that not being allowed to hunt with rifles is unconstitutional?

Can said long-gun go to the range? Yes. Are you saying that not being allowed to hunt with rifles is unconstitutional?

You’re missing my point. I’m saying the right to keep and bear arms has nothing to do with just being able to go to a private property range or to hunt.

The fact that you can’t hunt with rifles means that you can’t even carry them for that reason. My overarching point is that essentially there is no right to keep and bear arms when it comes to rifles in Massachusetts.

How is that constitutional?

You’re missing my point. I’m saying the right to keep and bear arms has nothing to do with just being able to go to a private property range or to hunt.

The fact that you can’t hunt with rifles means that you can’t even carry them for that reason. My overarching point is that essentially there is no right to keep and bear arms when it comes to rifles in Massachusetts.

There are thousands of threads here about the AG’s unilateral interpretation of laws, as well as her predecessors. It sucks. It’s stupid. Support places like GOAL & Comm2A, and more importantly, go vote.

Not really accurate. So if we are speaking of long guns, we actually have to separate into large capacity and low capacity since the law treats them differently for transport.

Long gun storage says locked container or disabled with tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device (MGL 140 131L). No requirement to be unloaded. Dont leave loaded with a trigger lock please, but you can have loaded in your safe.

Long gun transport depends on large capacity or not. Must be unloaded. If large capacity must be in a locked container (MGL 140 131C). If not large capacity, must be unloaded but no other requirements (though not necessarily prudent to not have locked up). Trigger locks or other safety devices mean NOTHING for transport even though MGL 140 123 requires the dealer to provide you with one...

Carrying you are limited to firearms (handgun, revolver, SBR, SBS, shockwave, etc)

Hunting is the one case where you are "carrying" a loaded long gun assuming you meet the other requirements for hunting. It is also a time you CANT be carrying your firearm (handgun, revolver, etc) unless it is lawful to hunt something with the caliber you are carrying and with a handgun.

Every gun law that exists is an infringement. The Original Sin was letting any of them ever pass (including NFA) to establish grounda for negotiation. It should not be negotiable, and the only way to reset it back is not readily negotiable anyway.

Last edited:
Not really accurate. So if we are speaking of long guns, we actually have to separate into large capacity and low capacity since the law treats them differently for transport...

... It is also a time you CANT be carrying your firearm (handgun, revolver, etc) unless it is lawful to hunt something with the caliber you are carrying and with a handgun.

Transport and locked isn’t ever (shouldn’t ever) to be confused with “bearing arms”.

Keeping arms is to have them ‘locked and/or secured’. Bearing arms is to carry them openly in public.

See: NH

Sorry, I missed the bigger point.

Not really accurate. So if we are speaking of long guns, we actually have to separate into large capacity and low capacity since the law treats them differently for transport.

Long gun storage says locked container or disabled with tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device (MGL 140 131L). No requirement to be unloaded. Dont leave loaded with a trigger lock please, but you can have loaded in your safe.

Long gun transport depends on large capacity or not. Must be unloaded. If large capacity must be in a locked container (MGL 140 131C). If not large capacity, must be unloaded but no other requirements (though not necessarily prudent to not have locked up). Trigger locks or other safety devices mean NOTHING for transport even though MGL 140 123 requires the dealer to provide you with one...

Carrying you are limited to firearms (handgun, revolver, SBR, SBS, shockwave, etc)

Hunting is the one case where you are "carrying" a loaded long gun assuming you meet the other requirements for hunting. It is also a time you CANT be carrying your firearm (handgun, revolver, etc) unless it is lawful to hunt something with the caliber you are carrying and with a handgun.
So can I get jacked up by LEO for carrying loaded sporting rifle on my land? Well, the bank, then when note is paid the governments land?

It does not have to be locked in a box, for storage; a trigger lock, or cable lock meet the legal requirements

For transportation, a non-large capacity long gun must only be unloaded. A large-cap must be locked in a secure container.

Several species of animal may be hunted with rifles in Mass. Check your hunting Abstracts on the MassWildlife website.

The need of a "clean" plaintiff, a crapload of money, a competent lawyer, and the chance to win. A try-and-a-miss would be far, far worse, than the FUBAR status quo.

OP, I understand your frustration, and I hope that you understand my corrections to your statements are not a slam at you, but an attempt at clarity. Mass laws are screwed up enough, that inaccurate statements that will be stumbled upon in the future just cause more confusion.

1) You don't have to keep your long gun in a box that is locked up. You don't have to keep it in a box at all.
2) Long guns can be used off your property for things other than hunting.
3) You can hunt with rifles in Mass.
4) Where did you come up with this nonsense?

In Mass. you are only Prohibited to use a rifle to hunt Turkey, Deer, and Waterfowl. So I don't know where you are getting your information.

You would have to check the abstracts for that. Fish and Wildlife should have that online under their seasons and regulations section.

I can.. it’s called Massachusetts, get out while u still can

I dont agree with the laws but I feel its like this. You can keep arms and unless your bearing arms - which I think is read ad bearing arms in defense you keep the rifles in the box.

It is also a time you CANT be carrying your firearm (handgun, revolver, etc) unless it is lawful to hunt something with the caliber you are carrying and with a handgun.

That shit is just beyond ridiculous. In SC you can conceal carry while fishing and hunting even if you don't have a CWP! It is common practice for many to just keep a rod and tackle box in the trunk and carry away. If you get pulled over for some reason and have to tell the cop you have a gun on you (SC is a must inform state) you ust follow it up with. I'm on my way to go, or coming back from, fishing.

You need to do alot more research before you blither on stating "facts".

You can most definitely hunt with a rifle in mass for starters and many of your storage law claims are also bs

Back
Top Bottom