• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Healey "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be fair (only kidding) to Ms. Healey because she obviously suffers from a real disease, hoplophobia:

Abstract:

Hoplophobia, the morbid fear of guns, is a real, extremely dangerous, widespread and clinically recognizable complex specific phobia with a number of unique characteristics, described. It has caused and continues to cause grievous harm in America. Dr. Sarah Thompson, M.D., author of two seminal papers on gun phobia, claims hoplophobia is little more than name calling and rare, points we dispute. Because one of the avoidance mechanisms of this phobia uniquely involves politics, its effects and importance are greater than for other phobias. Co-morbidities include suppressed rage, post-traumatic stress disorder, delusional disorder and panic disorder, with implications for society at large. Some behaviors heretofore written off because they seemed irrational may be explained.
[bold emphasis mine]

http://www.gunlaws.com/Hoplophobia-GunFear.htm

7bS5Hlx.png

- - - Updated - - -

It runs on 9V batteries.

You missed the flux capacitor.

Not exactly a peer reviewed journal article, from a hypnotherapist and a publisher of gun books no less. Unfortunately for them, 'Hoplophobia' as we refer to it does not match the DSM symptoms for a phobia disorder (and if somebody did have an actual phobia to guns, which is entirely possible, it would simply be diagnosed as 'specific phobia disorder'). 'Hoplophobia' is a political term, not a clinical one.

It's kind of sad to watch them throw Dr. Sarah Thompson under the bus just because she disagrees with them about their misusing of the term, as she is one of the ones in the medical community who actually really 'gets it' about firearms and the psychology of victimhood.

Here's a tip that will save you a ton of money if you're looking for another one. Get one of the Bulgarian demilled kits. A couple of hours with a $90 Tractor Supply MIG and a grinder to clean up the welds and you have one for about half of what a retail one will cost you. I've done 3 of them for small money. Another tip... the 60 round clips aren't that reliable. I've had all kinds of problems with them feeding. The 80 rounders seem solid though. Nothing like 80 rounds of 7.69x47 fury!

Thanks for the tips.
I was going to give Eric Holder a call to see if he had any left, but this should save some time.

Last edited:
you do realize there are plenty of gun shops in this state that would be happy to give the ag any details she wants. i wouldn't be suprised if the ag's office reads nes but this is just getting silly, there is no secret squirrel stuff on nes

Clearly you don't have access or have never found the hidden link on the member login screen to the VIP encrypted forum. If it's really important, like the location of BS Pizza or the Annual Open Carry BBQ planning, we only discuss it there.

Healey "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

I question wheter the scematic for the " focused Maser"
Woudl really work?
ggboy

Well it does hinge on having the correct inverter for the 9v gigawatt batteries but since Pluto is in retrograde we may have to wait for the next guidance.

Not exactly a peer reviewed journal article, from a hypnotherapist and a publisher of gun books no less. Unfortunately for them, 'Hoplophobia' as we refer to it does not match the DSM symptoms for a phobia disorder (and if somebody did have an actual phobia to guns, which is entirely possible, it would simply be diagnosed as 'specific phobia disorder'). 'Hoplophobia' is a political term, not a clinical one.

It's kind of sad to watch them throw Dr. Sarah Thompson under the bus just because she disagrees with them about their misusing of the term, as she is one of the ones in the medical community who actually really 'gets it' about firearms and the psychology of victimhood.

Hey, if they can have assault weapons, we can have hoplophobia...

IANAD (Doctor)

As I noted in my original post, I did emphasize in bold font that the word "hoplophobia" was used in a political context (it goes back to the 1960s with Jeff Cooper). However, as you correctly point out, it is "entirely possible" to have a gun phobia. If one wishes to diagnose it as a "specific phobia disorder," it is still a phobia or irrational/unreasonable fear of an object, in this case a gun, although a phobia could manifest in many other ways.

I don't agree with the premise that the authors of the article I quoted are throwing Dr. Thompson "under the bus." To me, the differences in their conclusion(s) versus that of Dr. Thompson is a matter of semantics. As you point out, she is just disagreeing with their misuse of the word, hoplophobia, instead of stating that it doesn't exist.

In fact, in her article published in 2000, she further explains that anti-gun people are generally people that have been victimized by society for whatever reason. In the case of Ms. Healey, one could make a good assumption that she considers herself a victim due to the "alternate lifestyle" that she lives. If that is true, then Dr. Thompson's summation of victimhood could clearly explain Ms. Healey's reaction to her latest "reinterpretation of the law" that we refer to as being irrational and unreasonable because it is apparent that she is making things up, i.e., reinterpreting the laws and changing the FAQs, etc., as she continues to try and justify her actions (rightly or wrongly).

In Dr. Thompson's summation of victimhood, she states the following:

[FONT=&amp]"Identity as Victim[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]If I were to summarize this article in three sentences, they would be:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp](1) People who identify themselves as “victims” harbor excessive amounts of rage at other people, whom they perceive as “not victims.”
[my interpretation: "not victims" are gun owners][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"(2) In order psychologically to deal with this rage, these “victims” utilize defense mechanisms that enable them to harm others in socially acceptable ways, without accepting responsibility or suffering guilt, and without having to give up their status as “victims.”
[my interpretation: this clearly describes someone that is anti-gun; whether or not "defense mechanism" meets a clinical definition of a phobia, is moot][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"(3) Gun owners are frequently the targets of professional victims because gun owners are willing and able to prevent their own victimization."
[No interpretation needed here]

https://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/08/15/a-psychiatrist-examines-the-anti-gun-mentality/[/FONT]

However, as you correctly point out, it is "entirely possible" to have a gun phobia. If one wishes to diagnose it as a "specific phobia disorder," it is still a phobia or irrational/unreasonable fear of an object, in this case a gun, although a phobia could manifest in many other ways.

The thing to keep in mind about a specific phobia diagnosis is that it has to have a few more characteristics that an "irrational/unreasonable fear of an object". It needs to be fear of the immediate presence of the object/situation, the presence of the object/situation must cause acute anxiety, the person must recognize that the fear is unfounded or unreasonable, and the fear and anxiety must interfere with the person's occupational, social, or personal life or there must be chronic acute stress because of the fear.

If these factors are not met, it is not a phobia. The people we all politically refer to as hoplophobes do not, for the large part, meet these criteria and so phobia is not a proper framework with which to describe their behavior. It is similar to the misuse of the term 'homophobe' for someone who dislikes, disapproves of, or is discomforted by homosexuality. It is not a phobia.

Dr. Thompson's discussion, as you illustrate in your reply, is a more fruitful framework. However, I don't believe you can explain all anti-gun people from the victim/rage response model. I believe the vast majority of anti-gun folks out there really aren't suffering from any sort of psychological issue. They are simply taught by the prevailing culture in many parts that the risk to reward ratio for public firearm ownership is higher than it actually is, and it is often very difficult for any of us to shift our beliefs once they are set. That's not mental illness, it's simply the human condition.

It's been over a month since this ban. I hate to say it but this is absolutely permanent. Even if any of these court challenges reaches a conclusion in our favor, do you not doubt that they will then change the law. Have all the rally's you want, it's not changing anything. It's time to just start planning a move out of state. MA isn't worth it anymore.

The ammo still pings the metal detector.

I picked up a 128 round case of the new ceramic bullets in .45. I'm still waiting on the 3d printer to finish the casings. It has to print them one at a time [crying]

Anyway, I can't use a high power charge in the plastic cases but it turns out that combo (with the Ceratips) the shot is 116db. Still a little loud but comfortably into the region of suppressor equipped pistols but without needing the suppressor! [rockon]

It's been over a month since this ban. I hate to say it but this is absolutely permanent. Even if any of these court challenges reaches a conclusion in our favor, do you not doubt that they will then change the law. Have all the rally's you want, it's not changing anything. It's time to just start planning a move out of state. MA isn't worth it anymore.

I believe we will have to disagree...doing nothing at all will definitely make this changes permanent. Are you suggesting putting all our efforts in to just leaving Mass. For many reasons, I cannot leave this state...I am sure there are thousands that are in the same boat. I am not going to be quiet or docile when I am getting butt ****ed. Action in this case is always better than inaction.

C'mon man...

dude not a single law got passed. the MGL reads the same. unchanged. this is the AG going for a power grab, not a legislative catastrophe like what has occurred in CA. if you're making the argument that future legislation awaits us that's one thing, but the notion that hope is lost due to a single wacko AG we will have to disagree.

[video]https://youtu.be/V8lT1o0sDwI[/video]

dude not a single law got passed. the MGL reads the same. unchanged. this is the AG going for a power grab, not a legislative catastrophe like what has occurred in CA. if you're making the argument that future legislation awaits us that's one thing, but the notion that hope is lost due to a single wacko AG we will have to disagree.
Guy needs to do himself a favor and have a few beers. Maybe a vodka shot or whiskey on the rocks.
Either way, were in the long game now. If anything was going to happen immediately, it would run the risk of making things worse for us. Someone brought up the point that for every "change" made it's going to backfire on her if presented properly by the legal team.

You miss all the shots you don't take.

Seriously, this defeatist attitude guarantees a loss.

If I was thew neg rep type I'd neg rep you for this.

You can be part of the problem, I choose to be part of the solution.

It is not over.

No

1031205580.jpg

Even if any of these court challenges reaches a conclusion in our favor, do you not doubt that they will then change the law.
If we win, anyone who does not immediately stock up is an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom