Healey and Hillman

Thoughts on this team for governor/lt. governor?

Putting here in law since there isn't a politics forum and they affect the laws tremendously.

Is this a real slate or just speculation? I haven't heard local snews in a few days, that is why I'm asking.

Col Hillman was, I thought, fairly decent regarding firearms when he ran MSP. You might call GOAL and ask Nancy about him, as she's been around long enough to have dealt with him before. IIRC he is now a State Rep. I have spoken with him a few times during/after some hearings and he sounded like he "was on our side", but I've learned NOT to trust politicians, ever!

If I'm right, I'd rather see the slate the other way . . . Hillman/Healy.

Keep in mind that the Lt. Gov is a "lame duck" position, unless the Gov leaves office before the term expires. So, even if he is our best friend, if the Gov is not "on the same page" all Hillman could do would be to bite his tongue!

I think the bigger question is if anybody has any evidence about where Christi Mihos is on the 2nd.

Reed had a good rating from GOAL when he was in house, and attended several of the GOAL banquets. Reportedly, he's been offered the slot and accepted; there's supposed to be a formal announcement at 1:30 today. Of course, this is just the media talking until then.

Ken

Since Mihos stated that he'd run as an Independent, the only important reprucussions are as follows:

- MA will NEVER elect an "independent" to a state-wide office at that level, it is R or D and nothing else here. Thus, Mihos' view on the 2nd Amendment is irrelevant.

- Mihos will split the vote so that it becomes a crap shoot. He becomes nothing more/less than a "spoiler".

- Given the above, I would say that Reilly becomes a shoe-in due to the split vote!

LenS said:
Since Mihos stated that he'd run as an Independent, the only important reprucussions are as follows:

- MA will NEVER elect an "independent" to a state-wide office at that level, it is R or D and nothing else here. Thus, Mihos' view on the 2nd Amendment is irrelevant.

- Mihos will split the vote so that it becomes a crap shoot. He becomes nothing more/less than a "spoiler".

- Given the above, I would say that Reilly becomes a shoe-in due to the split vote!

I have mixed feelings abut that.

As much as I'd like to see Reilly gone from the AG position, being elected governor isn't going to be any reason for MA gun owners to celebrate either.

In that scenario, I guess the bottom line would be whom would replace Reilly as AG? Hopefully someone who's supportive of the RKBA (doubtful), and/or would at least eliminate the 940 CMR regs.

And on another note... I really hope Barrios wins the Middlesex DA race.
At least he'll be out of the senate and in a position to create fewer problems for us. And in the event someone even worse fills his Senate seat (how much worse can someone be than Barrios), at least that person would be in a junior senate position (wouldn't fill Barrios slot as the chairman of the Public Safety Committee).

Brief update:

Reed Hillman was the guest speaker at a Crime Prevention Officers Association (title may be slightly different) meeting yesterday that was held at BR&P. The president of said organization is a friend and BOD member of BR&P and has invited me to attend their meetings in the past.

Well I did attend this one (my first) and then had to run to a client (computers), then to a meeting in Wellesley (so although I showed as "online" all day/evening, I really wasn't around until almost 11PM last night).

Reed arrived very late and then spoke to address funding and other LE issues. I was able to speak to him privately for a few minutes after his presentation and report the following:

- Reed claims to be on our side on lawful gun ownership. Talking with Nancy and Jim at GOAL today, I have confirmation that Reed ALWAYS voted our way on ALL issues during his 6 years in the House . . . and he never had to be told which way GOAL wanted him to vote. [Ed. Note: This was my impression of him too.]

- I asked Reed directly if he would support all the rights of lawful gun owners and his response was a smile and "you are preaching to the choir"!

- I leveled with him that I personally felt that the Lt. Gov's position was usually a "do nothing" position whereby that person didn't really get a say in policy making. Reed told me that he has NO political aspirations and has gotten a commitment from Healey that he will be a "full partner" in her administration. He admitted that this meant that she would listen to him, but if she felt strongly in an opposite position, she would win. He told me that if said promise was not kept, he wouldn't serve as Lt. Gov.

- Reed told me that he HOPES that the Healey/Hillman team will get an endorsement from GOAL in the campaign and thus this would be a very strong statement in favor of gun owners' rights. [Ed. Note: Talking with Nancy and Jim (GOAL) today, they will NOT be endorsing anyone until after the convention and they make no commitment on if/who GOAL may endorse.]

- Reed said that his number is in the book (Sturbridge) and he answers his own phone, so if anyone had any specific questions that they should feel free to contact him directly. [Ed Note: PLEASE if you do contact any politician, be RESPECTFUL so that you make your point and/or ask your question without looking/sounding like a nutcase (which can really hurt our cause).] He didn't mention a website, but I found the following: http://www.healeycommittee.com/office.html

They're gonna have a hard time, particulary because Mihos will siphon off more votes from the Republicans than from the Democrats.

I predict Reilly is gonna be our next governor.

Who is "they"? Mihos' campaign? The whole reason he's doing this is to poke a stick in the eye of the Republican party because Swiftie kicked him off the Turnpike Authority board.

He just doesn't want to be seen as being motivated by revenge. Even though he is. He's got zero chance of winning and he's got to know it. He's not stupid.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I heard a poll on Channel 4. The majority of people don't know anything about Mihos....IIRC, that number was the winning one in the poll, but I don't remember what the % was.

Len - thanks for the poop on Hillman. If Healy wants to win, she needs to be tougher on the illegals.

I may have confused the info on Chris Gaberelli (sp?) and Christy Mihos as to which one Reed was talking about. He mentioned "Chris" in this context and now I'm second guessing myself that he might have been referring to Gaberelli and not Mihos as taking votes from the Reilly camp.

LenS said:
- Reed told me that he HOPES that the Healey/Hillman team will get an endorsement from GOAL in the campaign and thus this would be a very strong statement in favor of gun owners' rights. [Ed. Note: Talking with Nancy and Jim (GOAL) today, they will NOT be endorsing anyone until after the convention and they make no commitment on if/who GOAL may endorse.]...

Any word on this yet?

Doug,

No word yet. GOAL will be sending out the surveys shortly and based on results, etc. will choose to support certain people. We'll all have to wait and see (probably August issue of The Outdoor Message) what transpires.

Although I have spoken with Nancy and Jim late last week, I didn't broach this subject.

NO PROMISES!

But I've put a bug in someone's ear to invite Lt. Gov. Healey to speak at a gun club.

Others should do the same, to get the word out. GOAL endorsement is not enough (given the "gradeflation" of this year's ratings) and it gives shooters a venue to ask questions.

Let's see what transpires.

I swear I saw somewhere that a politician was looking for gun clubs to put out their campaign signs. Anyone know who that is?

I planted a bug in the ear of the Braintree R&P Legislative Chairman to invite Healey to speak at our next meeting (Oct 16th due to Holiday next week). Don called and they promised to get back to him with an answer.

No confirmation yet from the Healey Committee, but we can hope.

Well, an invite was made a few weeks ago and as of ~2 hours ago, no response from Healey HQ! So no speaker at BR&P tonight.

She also asked Don Kusser to schedule her for an interview for his cable TV show in Quincy last week. No show and no explanation!

NOT a good way to run a campaign!

Back
Top Bottom