Having a hard time finding target 9mm... Any suggestions?

Hi All, I am fairly new to guns. I'm currently waiting for my LTC... Its only been 3 weeks but the sgt was awesome and said 4 weeks. My girlfriend has hers and joined MFS about a month ago so we could try all the different guns and decide what we liked.

When we would go to MFS they would have Federal or Winchester 9mm 115 FMJ 50 round boxes that we would buy. It wasn't cheap but we were able to shoot. Then we went to the local Wal-Mart in Hudson MA and bought 200 rounds of the Winchester 115 fmj it was reasonable and we thought it was great we could just go there and pick it up on the way to the range.

The last 2 weeks we cant find any. Have tried 3 Walmarts and dicks and no one has it in stock. Tried the local gun store and had some but it was expensive even for 115 fmj 9mm 50 rounds. MFS hasnt had any the last 2 weeks just 124 grain or hollow points.

So where should I be going? I would like to buy bulk but where? Is there times to catch Walmart with 9mm 115 fmj? Middle of the week? We have been looking mostly on the weekends...

If your girlfriend is interested in shooting, you guys might want to consider reloading.

The biggest complaint many make about reloading is that their wives/girlfriends complain about the time it takes. If your girlfriend reloads with you, its quality time together.

As a point of reference, I can make 9mm for $5.30 per box and .45 for $6.50 per box. I don't make my own bullets, but I do scrounge for brass.

Don

Yes we both love shooting. We will easily shoot over 200 rounds at the range... Could you direct me to good newb information on reloading? How to, equip etc...

We have a reloading section here.

And I recommend watching a lot of YouTube videos.

Then figure out what your favorite color is. Blue, red, or green.

Rileys in Hookset had blazer for $12 a box yesterday... they seem to have ammo everytime i go there.

ryanmlt1, ammo prices and supplies have been unstable for the last few years. No one seems to have ammo consistently (some days it's stacked to the ceiling, and other days the market is bone dry), and prices will vary due to commodity costs and wholesaler/dealer/scalper markup ($13/box of 50 is currently a good average price). As a result, there are really only two good ways to keep stocked:

One, buy in bulk. Buy at least a case at a time, if possibly buy three or four. This is getting harder to do as many dealers have put quantity limits on purchases, but if you develop a relationship with a dealer you can usually get them to place an order for you or set aside a certain amount of ammo when it comes (you may have to pay upfront, or at least put down a deposit for this, and you're stuck with whatever pricing that dealer can get). Then set yourself a floor, and when your ammo stock drops below that level, start shopping for more (make sure the floor is high enough that you have plenty of time to shop around before you reload, so you don't run out or feel forced to buy whatever you can find.).

Two, reload. Others will expound on this more, but it's really the only way to go for everyone except the most casual of shooters. It used to be that people reloaded for the cost savings, but now it's so you have a reliable source of ammo. I buy a year's worth of components at a time and reload in batches of 500-1,000, so I only have to shop once a year and reload once a month. It's a good system, and not only saves me money, but time, because I'm not running all over town looking for ammo every weekend.

I second recommending Riley's in Hooksett. And also stop by Shooter's Outpost - they're both on the same road. SO is closer to rt 93. They both seem pretty good about having 9mm and since there are limits, you might as well hit both places and get as much as you can.

You can get directions from their websites.

$13/box of 50 is currently a good average price

Not in my area (Northeast Mass). I haven't found 9mm FMJ for under $18 for a box of 50 in months. Usually pay closer to $20 when it is in stock and the shops in my area have limits of 1-3 box. I have not been able to get any at Dick's or Walmart in Danvers/Peabody for weeks.

For 9mm ammo, Collectable Arms and Ammo in Merrimack was running some bulk ammo deals .
50 round steel case 115 grain was $13.00 ish and 124 grain was running $15.00 ish.
Case lots were available even cheaper.
Give them a call to get the exact price and what was left.... it was going fast on Saturday!

If your girlfriend is interested in shooting, you guys might want to consider reloading.

Not a good time to get into it unless you have connections for powder. Nobody has any of the common pistol powders in stock right now. Bullets and primers are no problem, but the powder situation is full retard, it's almost as bad as the .22 LR garbage.

-Mike

For 9mm ammo, Collectable Arms and Ammo in Merrimack was running some bulk ammo deals .
50 round steel case 115 grain was $13.00 ish and 124 grain was running $15.00 ish.
Case lots were available even cheaper.
Give them a call to get the exact price and what was left.... it was going fast on Saturday!

They have Aguila 124 gr 9mm for $299 a case. I got myself a case today right before they closed, there are still like a dozen left.

Yes it's not the cheapest, but it is decent ammo. Not super dirty like some and it is loaded sufficiently hot.

They also had a few cases of Wolf 9mm in bulk, not sure what the price is, but I bet it is close to the $235 the Tula I got from them a couple months ago was.

-Mike

Thats the beauty of reloading. The stuff that gets scarce, Primers and powder, is relatively inexpensive.

You can get 10,000 primers for about $350
You can get enough powder for 10,000 rounds of .45 acp or 9mm for between $100 and $200

So for $500 bucks you've ensured you ability to make 10,000 rounds.

Brass you scrounge. Bullets didn't become scarce even at the height of this chaos.

Don

Reload. You can buy bulk components online (vendor names omitted intentionally - hi Martha!). Cheaper, reliable supply of ammunition (once you acquire a large enough supply of components), fun, relaxing.

Or how about a newb... I think I paid $27 for 100 at Wal-Mart. Still very new to all of this. You dont need a LTC to buy ammo in NH correct?

Stick around and join and support the forum . You will learn more.

You don't need LTC to buy ammo in NH, although some shop might ask for identification.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Hi All, I am fairly new to guns. I'm currently waiting for my LTC... Its only been 3 weeks but the sgt was awesome and said 4 weeks. My girlfriend has hers and joined MFS about a month ago so we could try all the different guns and decide what we liked.

When we would go to MFS they would have Federal or Winchester 9mm 115 FMJ 50 round boxes that we would buy. It wasn't cheap but we were able to shoot. Then we went to the local Wal-Mart in Hudson MA and bought 200 rounds of the Winchester 115 fmj it was reasonable and we thought it was great we could just go there and pick it up on the way to the range.

The last 2 weeks we cant find any. Have tried 3 Walmarts and dicks and no one has it in stock. Tried the local gun store and had some but it was expensive even for 115 fmj 9mm 50 rounds. MFS hasnt had any the last 2 weeks just 124 grain or hollow points.

So where should I be going? I would like to buy bulk but where? Is there times to catch Walmart with 9mm 115 fmj? Middle of the week? We have been looking mostly on the weekends...

Its available you just need to be diligent about looking. $15 bucks a box is about the average right now. There are a few exceptions. Some of the steel cased is cheaper. Also when Walmart has the BrassMax it is like 24 bucks for 100.

If you have friends or family out of state, just order online for shipment to them. Perhaps even getting a Mailboxes Etc location in NH.

Or how about a newb... I think I paid $27 for 100 at Wal-Mart. Still very new to all of this. You dont need a LTC to buy ammo in NH correct?

That is correct. But, some stores will ask for an ID and when you give them a MA drivers license, they ask for your LTC. For example, Shooters Outpost and Dicks.

Back
Top Bottom