Having a hard time finding target 9mm... Any suggestions?

I have a co-worker who is going by Four Seasons tonight and said he would pick me up 3 boxes if they have it... I have only seen the Wally World by me with WWB 9mm once and we bought what was left... Our local store wants 18 for 50rds of 115 fmj...

Wait a couple weeks and the price will come down. Like the stack of .223/5.56 they have sitting there that can now be had for a more reasonable 40 cents a round and it is still stacked deep. I foresee a big ammo sale in their future as the orders they have been placing for the last year continue to come in.

Remember folks, the price of ammo at the wholesale level is up about 10% over the last two years.

All the rest of the bump is dealers marking it up more, because they can. I'm not knocking the dealers, I'm just saying that as quantity demanded and quantity supplied get closer together, prices will come down.

Riley's and Shooters Outpost in Hookset had plenty of 9mm 50 round boxes for $11.99 when I was up there last week, Shooters had cases of .223 for $369.99 for 1,000 rounds also....

Just bought a case of federal 556 55 grain for 399. Thought this was a decent price. not as cheap as some of the steel cased stuff but I think brass is better

I gave up on 9mm after spending an entire Saturday calling Dick's Sporting Goods and Walmart and coming up with nothing. I am getting into reloading so I can have a steady supply when I need it.

Like I've said to people in side conversations,

$500 gets you enough powder and primers to reload 10,000 rounds of 9mm.

Brass should be free if you have half a brain, and bullets are always available. At the height of the 2013 craziness, I waited 3 months for my favorite brand. Not great, but easy to plan for.

Don

So where should I be going? I would like to buy bulk but where? Is there times to catch Walmart with 9mm 115 fmj? Middle of the week? We have been looking mostly on the weekends...

Looking on the weekends is your problem. I go to Walmart every weekday before 11am and doing that can not only get 9mm but can afford to be selective about what I get. I pass on Federal 50rnd boxes as it's too much and wait to see Winchester White Box 100 round value packs, Tula (brass or steel), or Federal 100 round packs if I feel like getting my hands really dirty reloading mags (that stuff is dirtier than Tula steel cased).

The trick is definitely just to go every day. Contrary to many rumors most Walmarts don't get shipments on the same day every week or anything like that. At mine I have the most luck in Tuesdays but sometimes it appears on other days. Weekends are pointless unless they get a lot as it would be bought out.

Walmart is the right place to be looking to get prices that aren't jacked up. You just need to commit to going often and should buy whatever you can get (not more than you need though!) when you find it to hold you over when there's a dry week or two. Dry weeks do happen. Last month my Walmart had mountains of all the stuff I like. Like at times as much as 8000-10000 rounds of 9mm in stock. This month it's been scarce so far.

It also never hurts to make friends with the sporting goods dept manager.

The Manager at the Old Saybrook, CT Walmart would give me a heads up when they were getting stuff in. Nothing underhanded. But if I asked if they got a shipment in the night before, he'd let me know so I'd know if I should stick around for them to bring it out. The shipments come in overnight, but they don't bring it out to stock until they get fully staffed. If memory serves me right, thats around 10 am.

I reload all my centerfire stuff. But doiing this, i was able to load up on Federal 550 round value packs for about $18 ea.

Don

The thought of going into a WalMart every single weekday for any reason makes me laugh.

The thought of going into a WalMart every single weekday for any reason makes me laugh.

Ya fair enough, but at mine the garden dept entrance is right by the ammo so it's in and out in 1 minute either way and I don't have to flock through the main entrance with... whatever you call Walmart shoppers (not human for the most part). Go on my lunch break every day unless I'm stocked up.

Looking on the weekends is your problem. I go to Walmart every weekday before 11am and doing that can not only get 9mm but can afford to be selective about what I get. I pass on Federal 50rnd boxes as it's too much and wait to see Winchester White Box 100 round value packs, Tula (brass or steel), or Federal 100 round packs if I feel like getting my hands really dirty reloading mags (that stuff is dirtier than Tula steel cased).

The trick is definitely just to go every day. Contrary to many rumors most Walmarts don't get shipments on the same day every week or anything like that. At mine I have the most luck in Tuesdays but sometimes it appears on other days. Weekends are pointless unless they get a lot as it would be bought out.

Walmart is the right place to be looking to get prices that aren't jacked up. You just need to commit to going often and should buy whatever you can get (not more than you need though!) when you find it to hold you over when there's a dry week or two. Dry weeks do happen. Last month my Walmart had mountains of all the stuff I like. Like at times as much as 8000-10000 rounds of 9mm in stock. This month it's been scarce so far.

While I agree that on the weekend it'll be picked over, going during the weekend is honestly what most people are forced to do. I know for myself, I work long hours during the weekdays, and since I live in the city, I have to rent a car. I do rent a car every weekend (getting to the point where it might be cheaper to buy buy a car), but its tough to go during the week. This is primarily why I decided to just start reloading. The only reason I can see myself buying factory ammo is to get brand new brass, which I doubt I'll do since I can just pick it up at the range.

The Walmart I go to has a schedule of when they get trucks and it has been the same for the 2 years I have been getting ammo there. there are only 3 days they dont get a truck. Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. A friendly sporting good guy will go check in the back for you

I don't really notice federal being any dirtier than the others, although Tula steel leaves some pretty good soot deposits behind but for the price it's barely worth complaining about.

Also, the Fed 50 ct boxes go for under $15, which is still cheaper than all but like a whopping 3 local gun shops in a 65 mile radius sell t for (the only market floor ones are Shooters Outpost, Collectible, and sometimes Rileys if they actually have ammo in stock, which most of the time they only have Blazer AL at some meh price) so if someone is hard up, it's still a good deal, just not quite as good as the 100 rnd val packs. (which basically save you like $1.50 ish/50).

-Mike

Ya fair enough, but at mine the garden dept entrance is right by the ammo so it's in and out in 1 minute either way and I don't have to flock through the main entrance with... whatever you call Walmart shoppers (not human for the most part). Go on my lunch break every day unless I'm stocked up.

The word you're looking for is WalCreatures.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Rileys in Hookset had blazer for $12 a box yesterday... they seem to have ammo everytime i go there.

^^this

Riley has mucho ammo and good prices.
lasr week four seasons had 9mm...brass cased brands $19 for 50rds.

if you really want a stash of 9mm for range days, get yourself a crate of surplus 9mm FMJ on gunbroker. For very good price one can acquire box of 880 rounds to keep busy at range. Its not premium HP ammo, but works fine at range.

Or find someone in a free state to get ammo from freedom munitions. Just over $12 a box for brass cased 9mm. Told my buddy to go this route who is in the Air Force out in Nebraska and bought a glock 17 last week.

Back
Top Bottom