Harvard Sportsmen's Club

The monthly member breakfasts dropped off the calendar for some reason. Is this months breakfast scheduled for the 5th or the 14th? thx.

None. Breakfasts are finished for the season.

Most likely, when they start up again in the late fall, they will transition to be 'brunch' not breakfast so they will be a few hours later, like 10-1 or something like that (TBD).

I believe the schedule is *always*, first Sunday AFTER the first Thursday of the month (which I think is the BOD monthly meeting)

Last edited:
It would definitely help. There is a bunch of leftover backing from the indoor backstop replacement but that seems pretty thick. The spring cleanup is around the corner so we can float the idea to Mark
I’m a new member. I’m waiting on my keycard. I was a previous member years ago. I have the time and I would enjoy shooting steel at the 100 so I’m willing to do some work on the 100 with someone. I do not know what was previously there for steal but maybe a way to mitigate the stands from getting chewed up is a few larger pieces of steel people can more confidently hit vs trying to hit a smaller one and hitting the stands. While also keeping the smaller steel as well. Again. I’m willing to put some time in.

there ought to be a sticky on the condition of the steel at harvard at 100. it's been a hot topic in this thread for a while. i quickly flipped through the posts and i think it was first brought up in 2021, right after the ranges were opening again. one of those things that will never go away.
That's a sticky topic, the 100yd steel gets more traffic than the southeast expressway, Looks like bolt failure again. What's the odds if I put a handful of bolts and a couple wrenches in a box that the box would just end up swinging from the chain. Maybe just an angle bracket on the post with a few emergency bolts. Suggestions?

According to club rules, machinegun shooters have priority over non-machinegun shooters while at the machinegun range. I've never tested this rule because I've never had a problem there.
That's the way I understand it, and its covered in the safety walks of the past years, if you're using FA / CQ and a C3 shooter would like the area that be polite and yeild and that the C3 users will be polite in asking. There was another communication forwarded along where a couple C3 folks wanted the back forty and *told* other members they had to pack up and leave. Not sure who it was but they moved to FA to shoot centerfire rifle anyway. Always suggest folks be polite.

That's the way I understand it, and its covered in the safety walks of the past years, if you're using FA / CQ and a C3 shooter would like the area that be polite and yeild and that the C3 users will be polite in asking. There was another communication forwarded along where a couple C3 folks wanted the back forty and *told* other members they had to pack up and leave. Not sure who it was but they moved to FA to shoot centerfire rifle anyway. Always suggest folks be polite.
Kicked people out of the back 40? I didn't think FA had priority on the back 40. Am I mistaken? In fact, I didn't think FA was allowed on the back 40.

Kicked people out of the back 40? I didn't think FA had priority on the back 40. Am I mistaken? In fact, I didn't think FA was allowed on the back 40.
It seems the group in question felt that being C3 they had priority over anyplace they desired to shoot. I know there's two sides but the other side never came forward and had left the club before the first folks wandered by.

There's not THAT many FA shooters out there so I think in all my years at Harvard I've only had them show up ONCE when I was shooting steel with a friend. It was a very civil event and the three of us ended up shooting together. If the FA shooter showed up with several people, I would've offered to leave for sure.

Class III
Class 3 is a type of firearms license, not a weapon or a shooter. Class 3 includes suppressors and machine guns and most of the FA shooters you may see at Harvard have a Class 3 although some do.

A technicality yes but hey this is NES

Class 3 is a type of firearms license, not a weapon or a shooter. Class 3 includes suppressors and machine guns and most of the FA shooters you may see at Harvard have a Class 3 although some do.

A technicality yes but hey this is NES
sure. and the rules throughout the club refer continually to the "Class III Committee" so it seems reasonable for a person to use the term Class III to refer to these activities.

The back forty allows full auto but it's not a machinegun range. I don't think machinegun shooters have the right to kick out other shooters. I've never had a problem but if I did, I'd probably leave rather than get into a confrontation with a hot headed armed nitwit. I'd ask the board to deal with it.

That's a sticky topic, the 100yd steel gets more traffic than the southeast expressway, Looks like bolt failure again. What's the odds if I put a handful of bolts and a couple wrenches in a box that the box would just end up swinging from the chain. Maybe just an angle bracket on the post with a few emergency bolts. Suggestions?

I feel like something like this would be easy to maintain. No bolts and chains to shoot. The only part to replace is a 2x4.

Attachments

• IMG_4965.png
    IMG_4965.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I feel like something like this would be easy to maintain. No bolts and chains to shoot. The only part to replace is a 2x4.
That 2x4 would be shot and fail in very short order. The only setup I've ever seen that requires ZERO maintenance is the MGM public range target. I've posted it here on this thread before.

I personally agree that the targets at the 100 should be a bit bigger, either sillouhette or half-sillouhette. Either way I think we all agree that something needs to be done differently as the current way of doing things clearly isn't working.

I'll be at the club Sunday "Mother's Day" to do a little replacing of the steel. we're going to need a top piece because someone shot through it with a big boy gun.
this idea would not last but a few days, it's been doneB4

I wonder if there was a lockable shed - same Key Card as the gate (so you know who's taking stuff out) with stands/metal. Use your card to take out a steel target - and then put the target back into the shed when you're done shooting? No more low-hanging fruit for crazies. The club knows who's using stuff... Just a thought.

I'll be at the club Sunday "Mother's Day" to do a little replacing of the steel. we're going to need a top piece because someone shot through it with a big boy gun.
this idea would not last but a few days, it's been doneB4
I'll see you there bright and early! I figure we'll need at least two of us to lift up the new cross piece (unless the machine will be assisting like last time)

I'll see you there bright and early! I figure we'll need at least two of us to lift up the new cross piece (unless the machine will be assisting like last time)
I have no idea who or what will be there, I'm just planning on replacing the top piece and slapping up some steel.

If I recall correctly, the beam is held to the posts with large bolts that are too big to be screwed in with an impact gun. I think Jason brought a generator and a very large electric drill.

New top piece and a little spall protector.
Gerry these 9mm must be yours lol interesting positions those bullets were in. The best part of the morning was people complaining that we were working past 9:00 lol they’re gonna report us to the board. 🤣🤣🤣

422ADA72-3BA6-4FD6-898B-3257265BDCE5.jpeg

Attachments

• FAECD4EE-AB84-46B7-802E-5060FBCB3CB9.jpeg
    FAECD4EE-AB84-46B7-802E-5060FBCB3CB9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • DE3856E0-EF13-4FE6-8257-B0BBC430CD34.jpeg
    DE3856E0-EF13-4FE6-8257-B0BBC430CD34.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom