Harvard sportsman club

That's a good idea. My neighbor's 2 sons would like to go shooting. The older one just married into a family of shooters. I'd be sure to bring enough to share.

I am, and want aware they had their own forum. I will look that up. Thanks!

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer

Let me know if you have any trouble registering on the forum and I can help you out. Send me a PM or email that includes a name so that I can verify membership. Once you register on the forum, you will receive the weekly email blast. I try to be brief while keeping folks connected to what is happening at the club.

Thanks Dan. I do get the email blasts. I will try to log into the form, and let you know.

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer

Thanks Dan, I am posting it now, in the general discussion forums. If you would like to do a face to face, I can come down sunday :). My username there is oldsoldier181

Another first timer at HSC today, and I can't express enough gratitude for all of the generosity of the members and all of those who participated in the IDPA event (Group 2). As a relatively new shooter I walked in to the clubhouse thinking I would just hang out and observe but before I knew it I was signed up for the event but without much of the required gear. In a matter of minutes various members offered me loaners and I was out on the range having an awesome time and sapping up every bit of advice I could from the other Group 2 shooters. What a great thing HSC has going and the members I interacted were class acts all the way. So a hearty THANKS to HSC and all of those who helped me out today. Hope to be back there soon!

-Adam

Hello Adam,

This right here is what makes this club and its members so awesome. I am very happy you got the proper attention and willingness from the members to help you out.

Awesome !!
Looking forward to it!!

All you need is a pistol in 9mm or higher, a strong-side OWB holster, some extra magazines, and magazine carriers. Let someone know you're new, and they'll go over the rules and range commands with you, then have some fun!

Oh, and eye and ear protection, of course.

All you need is a pistol in 9mm or higher, a strong-side OWB holster, some extra magazines, and magazine carriers. Let someone know you're new, and they'll go over the rules and range commands with you, then have some fun!

Oh, and eye and ear protection, of course.

The other shooters that will be there are very receptive to new shooters. Let them know at registration and on the stages and they will give you all the help you need.

Be safe and have a great time!!

Great to hear that folks get some useful information from the weekly emails. Please feel encouraged to let me know when I miss the mark.

I would love to shoot this event but have not
Done so before.
Is there anything I need to do before hand??

The weekly Wednesday night practices are a good place for folks that want to learn more about action shooting before entering a match. It's a low-stress atmosphere with an opportunity to gain practice and experience, but without worrying about formal scoring. We use the "beep" timers and the standard USPSA range commands, but we don't keep score. We set up a simple course of fire, shoot through it a few times, then change it up a bit and shoot again. You get a chance to try different approaches and to ask questions about the sport. Bring your favorite centerfire pistol and at least a couple of magazines. A secure strong-side holster is important. And a couple of magazine pouches are a big help.

Practices are indoors right now, which means that the courses are pretty basic and one-dimensional, but still better than bowling. We head back outside when Daylight Savings Time starts in March.

I'm looking to join HSC, I've only heard good things about it. Would any member there be willing to show me the place and possibly sponsor my membership? Either way I'll probably stop in to see one of the Wednesday practices soon. I'd love to participate, but I don't yet have my LTC, which means I don't have a gun to participate with yet.

Come out on a Wednesday, even without a license or gun. You'll still get a chance to see the club and meet folks. In fact, we have people who join the club that are really not into firearms at all. With 260 acres, they join for many reasons including wildlife conservation, photography, working their dogs, hiking, etc.

I shoot practice there (even on schedule to be a practice "director").

I've met cool people, shot a club IDPA match. (First in unclassified SSP). This place is awesome. A membership worthy place for sure.

Come out on a Wednesday, even without a license or gun. You'll still get a chance to see the club and meet folks. In fact, we have people who join the club that are really not into firearms at all. With 260 acres, they join for many reasons including wildlife conservation, photography, working their dogs, hiking, etc.

Yea, I'll probably stop by this Wednesday. Sounds like a great club.

Yea, I'll probably stop by this Wednesday. Sounds like a great club.

I hope you were able to get in the gate last night. I was over at the Westford Board of Selectmen meeting and was not able to unlock the gate. But even if the gate is down, somebody will eventually pass by and let you in.

Is there a list of range rules anywhere online?
I'm comparing it to different clubs and although it's about 45 minutes from me, seems like a good option. I have been here once (not to shoot) and heard a guy talking about it. Said something like it's an adult club, we don't have many rules like some of those other clubs". Wondering how true this is. What turns me off of some of these more local clubs to me is Mag limits (5 rounds), you have to sign in and out, limit on how many times you can bring the same guest. Just little things like that make me not want to join them. Any info from you guys would be helpful!

Harvard doesn't have any of that garbage, just some rules that are specific to each range. (eg, allowed targets, placement, etc. )

ETA: The only major impediments at Harvard are you must do a qualifier to shoot at the 300 yd, and you must be approved to use the MG range with full auto if you have an MG license... but neither of those are a big deal to get qualified for.

-Mike

Last edited:
That makes me very happy and seems like it is definitely worth the extra time in the car. It'll most likely be the rage I go to on the weekends to shoot my shotguns or rifles. I'm a member at MVGC in Malden so I can shoot my pistols here just need somewhere to shoot the other toys.

That makes me very happy and seems like it is definitely worth the extra time in the car. It'll most likely be the rage I go to on the weekends to shoot my shotguns or rifles. I'm a member at MVGC in Malden so I can shoot my pistols here just need somewhere to shoot the other toys.

Once you get used to using an action pit, you'll want to shoot your handguns at Harvard too [wink]

If that Avatar is coming with you I will host you anytime you want at HSC :)
As others have stated its the club to join.

One of the few rules I've heard anyone complain about at Harvard is no rim fire in the action pits, unless it is an official event like Steel Challenge (and at those they usually put down tarps to catch the brass).

One of the few rules I've heard anyone complain about at Harvard is no rim fire in the action pits, unless it is an official event like Steel Challenge (and at those they usually put down tarps to catch the brass).

And for good reason - since nobody actually picks up .22 casings outdoors we would soon have mounds of .22 as the floor to our action pits so they keep the .22's out of there unless an event is going as you stated. There are so many other places to shoot .22 there that it's not so bad. Can't wait for the next steel challenge now lol

And for good reason - since nobody actually picks up .22 casings outdoors we would soon have mounds of .22 as the floor to our action pits so they keep the .22's out of there unless an event is going as you stated. There are so many other places to shoot .22 there that it's not so bad. Can't wait for the next steel challenge now lol

That would take a shitload of .22s to even clog up one pit, but I guess I can understand, from the "trying to keep the place clean" standpoint. Maybe the other reason is they don't want people falling asleep in the action pits. (This will piss people off, but .22 rimfires basically bore me to tears, unless its a 10/22 and some golf balls or something, or it's being used to help someone learn how to shoot.

-Mike

Last edited:
I hope you were able to get in the gate last night. I was over at the Westford Board of Selectmen meeting and was not able to unlock the gate. But even if the gate is down, somebody will eventually pass by and let you in.

I got tied up at work, and wasn't able to make it out. Still would like to come visit, just need to find the time.

Back
Top Bottom