Harvard sportsman club

When I joined a few years ago, the guy who ran it was a real jerk about people who showed up but didn't call him first. Apparently, he wanted everyone who just joined to call him rather than him calling the president to find out if there were any new members. I'm pretty sure that having the president call him was not an option either.

The solution is the president gives the range safety class on Sunday. That is what happened when I joined. Dan showed up and took names and gave it to anyone/everyone there.

Don't know if he is still doing it or not.

Ya I called the guy and gave him my name but it didn't seem like he took it down or anything. Just said to bring some pen and paper.

Have another problem, maybe. Trying to register for the Harvard forum but it's asking me the 2008 membership combination?

Last edited:
You should have been told the code at the monthly meeting where you first became a member. If not just simply email one of the people and they will confirm your membership and gladly send you the code. Welcome!

Ya I called the guy and gave him my name but it didn't seem like he took it down or anything. Just said to bring some pen and paper.

Have another problem, maybe. Trying to register for the Harvard forum but it's asking me the 2008 membership combination?

They will tell you that at orientation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Can I just show up on Sunday to the mandatory range safety class? Or does it need to be scheduled?

Odds are if you just show up there will be people there. The point of you calling the guy is so that if no one calls him he is not going to 'waste' his time driving out there. If simply 1 person calls him he will be there. Again odds are that at least 1 person called him.

Do you blame him? All new members are simply asked to give the guy a call. If you don't do that, I'd say that's a hell of a way to start of your membership. Bottom line is no one wants to waste their time, so if you respect other club members you would do as politely asked. I would give you shit as well. Deal with it.

Last edited:
when i joined last march we didnt have to call anyone we just had to show on sunday

Interesting, because I joined in March also and was given the name and phone number of the safety tour guy and called him the night before.

- - - Updated - - -

Just said to bring some pen and paper...

I was told to bring a good attitude also! lol

The gate should be locked in the open position both for the new members, and because it's the monthly breakfast. It starts at about 7:30.

I live pretty close by, I have heard nothing but good things about this place. I would really like to check it out and possibly join. I have a friend who is a member there but unfortunately he cannot sponsor me because he works on meeting nights. Would anybody be available to help me check this place out?

There is an IDPA match on Saturday which is open to the public. Bring some eyes and ears, swing by, and check the place out.

Is there open-to-public IPSC practice tonight? I'd really like to see if I can find a sponsor for HSC...just moved to the area and am range-less. I was a member at Hopkinton for two years prior.

Is there open-to-public IPSC practice tonight? I'd really like to see if I can find a sponsor for HSC...just moved to the area and am range-less. I was a member at Hopkinton for two years prior.

Yes, from around 5-7. If you need a loaner setup let me know, I have a G17 with all the necessary accessories.

Greetings. I too am looking to join HSC and need to begin the process of earning sponsorship. Could a member please confirm if it would be appropriate to visit this weekend? If so, when should I show up and what should I expect for the day? Many thanks... looking forward to it!

-Adam

Last edited:
Greetings. I too am looking to join HSC and need to begin the process of earning sponsorship. Could a member please confirm if it would be appropriate to visit this weekend? If so, when should I show up and what should I expect for the day? Many thanks... looking forward to it!

-Adam

Hello Adam,

Matches that are open to the public (including this weekends) just require you come with eye and ear protection if your going to be observing. If you wish to shoot then you will need your gear/protection/gun/ammo and $ to enter. As to when you arrive is up to you as long as you understand if you show up in the middle everyone is busy and already doing things. So either early at time of start or closer to the end to get some time to talk, etc.

Practices that are open to a new prospective member to come by and check out the club requires the same thing...always eye/ear protection. If you want to shoot you will need the proper gear/gun for the competition i.e. IDPA or USPSA that your going to practice.

When you arrive let some others know your a perspective member looking to check out the club. You will be directed to someone that will have a little time on their hands to introduce themselves and show you around. Most sponsors request you shoot with them prior to making any commitment on a sponsorship, not only to see your skills and safety but just to get to know you better.

I myself am only sponsoring new members that I have shot with multiple times (i.e. at least twice) and I am requiring a donation to GOAL or COMM2A to show your dedication to the preservation of our 2nd A. rights here in MA.

Hope that was helpful.

I took the advice from this thread and decided to head over to Harvard today. WOW is all I can say quite the facility. I will definitely pursue joining this club. Thanks to Mike, Jar and killroth for taking the time to chat with me about the club and the shooting events despite the cold! I plan to head over for the next Monday practice and hope to get the opportunity to meet a some more of the members.

Can't go wrong there. Been a member for a few years now. Love the place-and its only 10 minutes from home :)

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer

Name is Max - look forward to hearing your thoughts once you get by there.

Another first timer at HSC today, and I can't express enough gratitude for all of the generosity of the members and all of those who participated in the IDPA event (Group 2). As a relatively new shooter I walked in to the clubhouse thinking I would just hang out and observe but before I knew it I was signed up for the event but without much of the required gear. In a matter of minutes various members offered me loaners and I was out on the range having an awesome time and sapping up every bit of advice I could from the other Group 2 shooters. What a great thing HSC has going and the members I interacted were class acts all the way. So a hearty THANKS to HSC and all of those who helped me out today. Hope to be back there soon!

-Adam

Last edited:
Another first timer at HSC today, and I can't express enough gratitude for all of the generosity of the members and all of those who participated in the IDPA event (Group 2). As a relatively new shooter I walked in to the clubhouse thinking I would just hang out and observe but before I knew it I was signed up for the event but without much of the required gear. In a matter of minutes various members offered me loaners and I was out on the range having an awesome time and sapping up every bit of advice I could from the other Group 2 shooters. What a great thing HSC has going and the members I interacted were class acts all the way. So a hearty THANKS to HSC and all of those who helped me out today. Hope to be back there soon!

-Adam

Excellent!

I dont know if any board members are in this thread, but, I have a suggestion. March 9th is "take a newbie shooting day", and I was wondering if we should maybe organize something at the club that day, something where we can all bring someone who has never fired a gun before, and introduce them to the sport? something with maybe a cookout, or lunch inside if its inclement weather, something along those lines? Maybe even invite the local media down? I think, particularly in this time in history, its important we dispel as many myths as we can. And, by taking someone who simply knows what they are told-with no experience-I think we have the golden opportunity to change some minds-maybe even get some truly positive press, for a change. Thoughts?

I dont know if any board members are in this thread, but, I have a suggestion. March 9th is "take a newbie shooting day", and I was wondering if we should maybe organize something at the club that day, something where we can all bring someone who has never fired a gun before, and introduce them to the sport? something with maybe a cookout, or lunch inside if its inclement weather, something along those lines? Maybe even invite the local media down? I think, particularly in this time in history, its important we dispel as many myths as we can. And, by taking someone who simply knows what they are told-with no experience-I think we have the golden opportunity to change some minds-maybe even get some truly positive press, for a change. Thoughts?

Are you a member of the club? This might be a great topic for discussion on the HSC Forum

Back
Top Bottom