Harvard sportsman club

Awesome, thanks! Any word on shooting PCC's for USPSA, I know they were approved for Steel Challenge but have not heard word on USPSA.

USPSA has allowed PCCs on a provisional basis.

It is a club by club thing. IIRC, Harvard USPSA is not allowing PCCs. Hopkinton is allowing PCCs.

Harvard Steel Challenge is allowing PCCs.

USPSA has allowed PCCs on a provisional basis.

It is a club by club thing. IIRC, Harvard USPSA is not allowing PCCs. Hopkinton is allowing PCCs.

Harvard Steel Challenge is allowing PCCs.

I was specifically asking about Harvard USPSA; I am aware of the rest.

There is a steel challenge match on June 18th at 9:30 AM. It is open to the public. Bring your .22 along with at least 5 magazines and compete. Tell the folks on your squad that you are looking to join. You will likely find a member who will sponsor you.

Thanks, I was just reading up on the rules and there's a lot to learn. I was hoping to be able to spend some time training before starting to enter those kinds of things - maybe I'll just go and watch and see if I can meet some folks first.

Thanks, I was just reading up on the rules and there's a lot to learn. I was hoping to be able to spend some time training before starting to enter those kinds of things - maybe I'll just go and watch and see if I can meet some folks first.

You really don't need to learn a bunch of rules to shoot Steel Challenge. The buzzer goes off, you shoot the five plates. Shoot the stop plate last. You do that five times on each stage.

It really isn't complicated.

You really don't need to learn a bunch of rules to shoot Steel Challenge. The buzzer goes off, you shoot the five plates. Shoot the stop plate last. You do that five times on each stage.

It really isn't complicated.

Yeah it's pretty idiot proof which says a lot coming from me with all the procedurals I get in IDPA....

In IDPA, you can spend time studying the rule book or you can learn the rules 3 seconds at a time. Or you do what I did and say screw it and go shoot USPSA instead...

Lol. I really want to try USPSA but I only shoot 9mm and it seems like 40 is the way to go (with my limited knowledge of USPSA). I don't want to get into another caliber to reload. Not to mention I'll want to buy another expensive gun that I can't afford...

In IDPA, you can spend time studying the rule book or you can learn the rules 3 seconds at a time. Or you do what I did and say screw it and go shoot USPSA instead...

I skipped the first two steps and my friend give me shit about not reloading at slide lock... Throwing bullets away and counting shots...

Lol. I really want to try USPSA but I only shoot 9mm and it seems like 40 is the way to go (with my limited knowledge of USPSA). I don't want to get into another caliber to reload. Not to mention I'll want to buy another expensive gun that I can't afford...
You're wrong. Production division is a 9mm game. Only Limited is a .40 game.

You're wrong. Production division is a 9mm game. Only Limited is a .40 game.

Ohh gotcha. Sounds like I need to brush up on the rules/divisions of USPSA...

Well that's good to hear because I'd love to use my DW PM9. Definitely will try it out. Thanks for clarifying.

actually, you need 38 supercomp to win

Well that's good to hear because I'd love to use my DW PM9. Definitely will try it out. Thanks for clarifying.

unfortunately, thats not a production division gun... Its a Singlestack division gun. Singlestack minor, with 10 round mags. At most matches, a 10 round singlestack minor gun has an advantage over an 8 round singlestack major gun.

unfortunately, thats not a production division gun... Its a Singlestack division gun. Singlestack minor, with 10 round mags. At most matches, a 10 round singlestack minor gun has an advantage over an 8 round singlestack major gun.

Maybe my CZ75b with 15 round mags would be better? Though at the end of the day I'm just trying to have fun and improve my skills compared to shooting stationary.

Ohh gotcha. Sounds like I need to brush up on the rules/divisions of USPSA... Well that's good to hear because I'd love to use my DW PM9. Definitely will try it out. Thanks for clarifying.

You mean a single stack 9mm 1911? That would not be my choice. You would be shooting single stack minor and minor scoring sucks.

I encourage you to come check out the match. I can guarantee that nobody will care how slow or inaccurate you are as long as you are safe. Tell the RO's you're new and they wont make you go first and they'll guide you through the process. If you don't have 5 mags let me know and I'll bring extras. Are they for a MkIII or a 22/45, I have both? I'll be the guy at the window doing registration. I have a standing conflict on Thursdays that prevent me from making the monthly meetings but there there will likely be members there that would be willing to sponsor your after meeting and shooting with you.

9mm is dominate in Production and viable in single stack if you shoot A's. If you shoot Limited or L10 .40 dominates

As long as you meet the weight limit and fit in the box you should be good to go for USPSA Single Stack minor

Maybe my CZ75b with 15 round mags would be better? Though at the end of the day I'm just trying to have fun and improve my skills compared to shooting stationary.

Cz75b would be production. You will need to start hammer down, so you better be practicing shooting a DA first shot (and also lowering the hammer if you don't have a decocker). You will want about 6 magazines.

You mean a single stack 9mm 1911? That would not be my choice. You would be shooting single stack minor and minor scoring sucks.

Minor scoring sucks but if you get a capacity advantage it it can be overcome. 8-shot minor over 6-shot minor revo is decided: 8-shot minor wins. 10-shot minor vs 8-shot major is a tougher call. If you can shoot A's at club and area matches minor can have an advantage. At SS nationals 8-shot major still rules.

It does but if he already has all the gear for it, it's not going to be the end of the world frankly. If he's new the difference between major and minor scoring isn't going to be where most of the points are lost....

-Mike

you can only load them to 10 per production rules. If you want to load to 15, that puts you in Limited, where you would be competing against major scoring 40 cal 2011s with 20 or even 21 in a mag.

In Singlestack, minor scoring with the 10 round advantage over the 8 round major guns just about evens the field.... sometimes... its an interesting balance.

Cz75b would be production. You will need to start hammer down, so you better be practicing shooting a DA first shot (and also lowering the hammer if you don't have a decocker). You will want about 6 magazines.
That stuff too

It does but if he already has all the gear for it, it's not going to be the end of the world frankly. If he's new the difference between major and minor scoring isn't going to be where most of the points are lost.... -Mike

Agreed. It would be a good way to try USPSA and if he likes it then he can decide whether to stick with that gear or pick something else.

Lots of great info here. Thanks.

So the takeaway here is that 9mm is ideal for Production but not for Limited and possibly singe stack? At least with the 2 guns I mentioned. Only other gun I have is a M&P 9 but I haven't shot that in years...would be tough (less accurate and crappier trigger) to go to a M&P after shooting the PM9 for thousands of rounds....I just love 1911s.

Last edited:
I'll just have to try it and see for myself before I decide to commit to anything.

Then try single stack with your 1911 9mm. Bring 1/2 a dozen mags and enough mag holders for 5 or 6 of them.

Cool sounds good. I'll have to order more of those ready tactical pouches that you told me about last year. Only got enough pouches for 4 mags...

Back
Top Bottom