Harvard sportsman club

Practices Are first and third Monday, open to public. Matches are generally 4th Saturday of the month, except feb, nov, dec. we love new shooters! Just let one of the guys running practice know you are new to action shooting. You can also go to the Mertowest tactical website.

The Harvard USPSA gang also has open to public practices on Wednesdays, not sure of the time or how often, check the club calendar.

USPSA practices are Wed evenings from 5-7 or so. We also love new shooters, so if you want to try the game that doesn't require a fishing vest just come on by! (I kid, I kid)

Sweet! Thanks for the information, guys! I plan on checking out one or both of them next month. Now I just need to get myself a paddle holster... Comp-tac's getting some money from me shortly I think.

nick

Anyone going to the meeting tomorrow night and would be willing to sponsor me? I was a member for years but missed the renewal last year and this is the first meeting I have been able to attend.

Anyone going to the meeting tomorrow night and would be willing to sponsor me? I was a member for years but missed the renewal last year and this is the first meeting I have been able to attend.

I was at the meeting tonight. A guy in your situation was there. They said there was no need for new sponsor. You can just pay the $150 init fee again and next years dues + $30 for the remainder of this year. I am by no means a club official, but it's worth an email to the member chair. [email protected]

If she says you need one. The monthly breakfast is this Sunday and open to the public. I hear it's a good way to find a sponsor.

Hello All,

I am interested in joining the club, I am a current club member at Braintree but have moved away. I am looking for a sponsor. My understanding reading the above comment is that best way is to go to a Sunday breakfast, however unfortunately I work on Sundays and am unable to attend. Would anyone be interested in sponsoring me at next months meeting? I would appreciate it as I would like to begin getting into USPSA and this seems to be the best club around for it. Feel free to PM and I can answer any questions you may have about me. Thank you all.

My friend and I joined up this month. We had shot an Appleseed at the club a year or so back and really liked the facility. We finally got it together and asked our Appleseed instructor to sponsor us. We attended the meeting Thursday night and Safety briefing on the following Sunday and couldn't stop talking about what a great club this is. Opened my mail today, and got my gate key and membership card.

One week and a day total to process for an all volunteer club! Very impressed so far and can't wait to back there to do some shooting. Look forward to seeing some folks on the range.

Hello All,

I am interested in joining the club, I am a current club member at Braintree but have moved away. I am looking for a sponsor. My understanding reading the above comment is that best way is to go to a Sunday breakfast, however unfortunately I work on Sundays and am unable to attend. Would anyone be interested in sponsoring me at next months meeting? I would appreciate it as I would like to begin getting into USPSA and this seems to be the best club around for it. Feel free to PM and I can answer any questions you may have about me. Thank you all.

USPSA practice is Wednesday nights and is open to the public. Probably a good place to find a sponsor. Winter months before DST I think they do it at the indoor range from 5-7. Gate should be open.

Any HSC members plan on shooting there this coming Saturday? I live on the Cape and have never been to HSC. Early Saturday morning I have to head up to Groton with the better half for her best friend's wedding weekend. She has to meet up with the rest of the ladies at around 10am, and from then until 3pm or so I have nothing to do. I don't know the area at all except that HSC is close by. I was given the choice of hanging out with the groom (whom I know and he's a good dude) and his groomsmen who I don't know, but I'm pretty sure they're going to be drinking all day. No interest. The rehearsal dinner is Saturday afternoon and the wedding is Sunday.

Anyone want to have me along to the range as a guest Saturday morning/ noonish? Rifle, pistol, shotgun, whatever you're into I'm into too. Have ammo, will travel.

John

Any HSC members plan on shooting there this coming Saturday? I live on the Cape and have never been to HSC. Early Saturday morning I have to head up to Groton with the better half for her best friend's wedding weekend. She has to meet up with the rest of the ladies at around 10am, and from then until 3pm or so I have nothing to do. I don't know the area at all except that HSC is close by. I was given the choice of hanging out with the groom (whom I know and he's a good dude) and his groomsmen who I don't know, but I'm pretty sure they're going to be drinking all day. No interest. The rehearsal dinner is Saturday afternoon and the wedding is Sunday.

Anyone want to have me along to the range as a guest Saturday morning/ noonish? Rifle, pistol, shotgun, whatever you're into I'm into too. Have ammo, will travel.

John

Congrats! If it's at the Gibbet Hill, then I'm sure it'll be a great time. HSC is an excellent club, but unfortunately I won't be shooting this weekend. Good luck.

John

I gotcha covered.

Anyone heading there Friday? Looking to join and would like a quick tour. Not looking to shoot just a tour. Sat is also possible, can stop by on way to or from the Marlboro show.

Congrats! If it's at the Gibbet Hill, then I'm sure it'll be a great time. HSC is an excellent club, but unfortunately I won't be shooting this weekend. Good luck.

Yes it was at Gibbet Hill. (Though for some reason I was calling it Gibbet Farm.) Very nice place. It was held in the large barn. I may have a had a drink or two.

Yes it was at Gibbet Hill. (Though for some reason I was calling it Gibbet Farm.) Very nice place. It was held in the large barn. I may have a had a drink or two.

The food is really good and I'm sure someone has painted that hill scene onto canvas somewhere. If you're still in the area, check out The Bull Run in Shirley. Probably my favorite restaurant due to it's rich historical value.

Indoor range?

I've been looking into new clubs. Visited Harvard recently. Damn nice outdoor ranges. Does anyone know why the indoor range doesn't have a target placement/retrieval system? Seems like it would be a PITA having to wait for the line to change targets or distance. Any of you guys know the reasoning?

I've been looking into new clubs. Visited Harvard recently. Damn nice outdoor ranges. Does anyone know why the indoor range doesn't have a target placement/retrieval system? Seems like it would be a PITA having to wait for the line to change targets or distance. Any of you guys know the reasoning?
It's a bit of a complicated answer... The indoor range used for a lot of different things from youth .22 to IDPA and USPSA so the open floor plan allows for a variety of uses, moving stations around, having different distance firing lines.
I tho k many people find that when they go to the indoor range, they are the only ones there. It's 24/7 access too. So having the ability to move the firing line is generally seen as a plus.
Downside is no cranks and that you have to go cold when targets are swapped.

That being said, HSC does anything the membership wants, it just takes the people to be on committees, consensus to be formed and decisions made. HSC is constantly improving the facilities, a significant amount of the annual revenue goes to doing that and when people get motivated they get attention and things get done.

So I would never rule out pulleys and lanes, but it hasn't been an issue without them in my observation. Most seem to want to use a variety of the outdoor ranges nearly year round.

Ok Thanks Rawlus. I'm not sure I quite understand that reasoning. A target placement and retriever system shouldn't prevent moving the firing line forward. I've been to other clubs that run IDPA and USPSA that have them. I like it because I can lay out my gear on the table, often multiple pistols, and go back and forth between different gear and distances very quickly by moving the target.

If its just a matter of getting some signatures, putting in a request, or even taking the lead on organizing the purchase and install, no problem. I've never shied away from getting involved and doing a little work. I just want to make sure that there isn't some hard and fast reason or pre-existing disposition against having a system put in. If there is a strong preference against one, then that is important for me to know before joining.

I recently joined harvard and found the lack of a pulley system somewhat disappointing also. The benefit of "moving the firing line forward" seems pointless when you can leave the firing line in one place and move the target closer.

I had read on the HSC forum that they used to have a setup like that years ago before they changed to the current rubber backstop. Someone mentioned that it would cause problems with the rubber backstop since hanging targets meant all the bullets would be hitting the backstop in the same area, whereas now the targets can be placed anywhere so the wear gets spread out more.

Thanks Heath. I appreciate your insight. With that limitation it sounds like getting a pulley system will be a No-Go. Not what I was hoping to hear. Definitely will be a PITA. May not be worth the cost of admission for me since I shoot indoors 1/3 of the time over the year. Otherwise it seems like a really fantastic club.

Thanks Heath. I appreciate your insight. With that limitation it sounds like getting a pulley system will be a No-Go. Not what I was hoping to hear. Definitely will be a PITA. May not be worth the cost of admission for me since I shoot indoors 1/3 of the time over the year. Otherwise it seems like a really fantastic club.

Given everything else that HSC has (about ~10 action pits), 25 to 300 yard ranges, this really isn't something I've worried about. On any decent day, I just go use the action pits.

Indeed it is a compromise situation, giving idpa and other action shooters the ability to move around... Something they would not be able to do with a fixed firing line system. I think costs for lanes is not inexpensive, but perhaps there are enough leftover parts from the last time they had that system to reassemble a lane or two alone the walls to get the best of both worlds....

Things don't happen at HSC by making a request for someone else to do it though, usually happens because a member steps up... It's just the way it works so I would not say a pulley system is a No-go, it's just that the current membership either prefers the current setup, or has not stepped up to change it. It's that simple.

Hi guys. Wondering if anyone's willing to show me around here on a Sunday. This place is a little further than I'd like to travel for a club but it looks like a great spot. I am about to pull the trigger on a new hunting rifle and scope and will really need a place to sight it in and get some good practice time in before next deer season.

I just joined MRA yesterday but am not sure I want to go through with it as I can't even get my interview until mid-April and then they have a 6 month probationary period where you're not allowed to shoot on the rifle range outside. Kind of crazy to join a club and not even be able to use the range for 6 months. That will afford me no time to practice with my new gun before hunting season starts.

Anyway wondering if someone can show me around Harvard and if anyone knows how long it takes to get in. Would really like to be up and running soon.

Thanks

Hi guys. Wondering if anyone's willing to show me around here on a Sunday. This place is a little further than I'd like to travel for a club but it looks like a great spot. I am about to pull the trigger on a new hunting rifle and scope and will really need a place to sight it in and get some good practice time in before next deer season.

I just joined MRA yesterday but am not sure I want to go through with it as I can't even get my interview until mid-April and then they have a 6 month probationary period where you're not allowed to shoot on the rifle range outside. Kind of crazy to join a club and not even be able to use the range for 6 months. That will afford me no time to practice with my new gun before hunting season starts.

Anyway wondering if someone can show me around Harvard and if anyone knows how long it takes to get in. Would really like to be up and running soon.

Thanks

The monthly club breakfast (which is open to the public) is this coming Sunday, the 6th. It's a great opportunity to meet club members, and if you ask nicely I'll bet someone will show you around. Plus, $6 all you can eat tasty breakfast!

The monthly club breakfast (which is open to the public) is this coming Sunday, the 6th. It's a great opportunity to meet club members, and if you ask nicely I'll bet someone will show you around. Plus, $6 all you can eat tasty breakfast!

Thanks for the tip. What time does it start?

Back
Top Bottom