Harvard, MA Appleseed Shoot November 14-15, 2009

I am bringing foul weather gear JIC. Even if it is covered shooting positions, we are still going to have to retrieve and post new targets.

I bought the A1 site adjustment tool for my tech sites from Midway. I'll see what FDF has tonight if you still want me to go.

It's 25meter and the shooting line is not covered (if we are at the ranges we typically are)

My last Appleseed at Harvard was a Hurricane (literally) on Saturday and blazing sun/hot/humid on Sunday.

Make sure you have methods of covering your gear and ammo especially. I wished I had brought an ammo can or even some tupperware to keep my ammo in.

Last edited:
Ok last question then i'll stop hogging the thread, lol.
One of my friends coming to the shoot would like to know if he can use a rifle case carry strap for a makeshift sling.

I am a big dude with a big gross beard, I will be wearing a tacticool tan US flag hat with a fish hook pin on the bill. [wink]

I am a big dude with a big gross beard, I will be wearing a tacticool tan US flag hat with a fish hook pin on the bill. [wink]

hehe, i'll be the small skinny guy next to the small skinny chick and half asleep asian kid (I blame MW2 [laugh]), most likely if it's cold wearing an ACU field jacket and hugging my rifle for warmth [smile].

From NOAA.gov

Saturday: Rain. High near 50. East wind between 10 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Saturday Night: Rain, mainly before 2am. Low around 46. North wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Sunday: A chance of showers, mainly before 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 61. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 38.

Anyone have an extra rain coat??

Are you looking for a tool to do the windage adjustment or the elevation adjustment on the rear Tech Sights sight? Did you buy the TSR or TSM sights?

I could be wrong, but I'm unaware of a tool that does the TSR rear windage adjustment other than the one that Tech Sights sells.
Try the standard M16A1 sight tool. Does windage just fine. I assume you're thinking of the elevation on the TSR200 that no one makes a tool for... except for Remington, PRVI Partisan, Sellier & Bellot, Winchester, etc... anyone that makes .223 round, that is. [smile]

I'd assume so.
Rain or shine, bubby.

Is this going to be 25yd
Sort of... 25 meter; 82 ft.

Bring tested rain gear (stuff you KNOW works), a mat, a tarp to put under the shooting mat, some sort of small tarp / oilcloth / plastic bag to put on top of your rifle while you're not shooting, and a towel or two. In a ziplock bag - you'll want it at lunch time to get your face and hands dry.

Warm clothes!! 50 degrees when you're soaking wet is no joke, people! If you do not have rain gear, I suggest you hie yourself hence to the nearest motorcycle shop or Dick's Sporting Goods and pick yourself up a good rainsuit. (Dick's will have them in the Lodge - for hunting). The bike shop will have stuff that ranges from $25 or so for a two piece PVC to who knows how much for the good stuff. I'd get at least the next level up from the PVC, if you can afford it. The PVC will feel clammy. At the very least, get it big enough to put a wool sweater under it.

A good hat is going to be a requirement, too. Either that, or bring 6 or 7 ball caps so you can swap them out as they get wet. [thinking]

You'll probably want to oil your blued guns well beforehand, as they will be soaked within 1/2 an hour. If that long.

If you've got a cheap scope... don't bring it. It'll last probably 30 minutes. (that's what happened to the $5 scope my nephew put on HIS 10/22. He promptly borrowed my LTR, which had a 1960's vintage steel-tube Weaver on it... which ran the rest of the day without a hiccup.) Seriously. Make sure you've got either peep sights or a good scope that'll handle the rain.

An ammo can for your ammo would be a good idea, as the rain will destroy cardboard cartons. Also someplace to put your mags would be a good idea, too - dropping mags in the mud as you cycle through them is a BAD idea. Tends to crud up the mags. [thinking]

Leave your ego at the gate (you won't need it), listen to the instructors, and LEARN - you're in for a great time, even in a noreaster.

Last edited:
I'll be shooting Remington bulk pack ammo with my 10/22. Is it worth bringing a small amount of anything better (like MiniMags) for qualifications or should I stick to the bulk pack stuff?

I'll be shooting Remington bulk pack ammo with my 10/22. Is it worth bringing a small amount of anything better (like MiniMags) for qualifications or should I stick to the bulk pack stuff?

I'd stick with the same ammo throughout....

You don't want to sight in with ammo "A", then switch to ammo "B". You POI will probably shift, requiring another sighting in.

Steve

I had a really bad experience with Remington at the last Appleseed I attended (tons of misfires). We switched to Federal halfway through the weekend because the Remington was so bad and had a much much better experience with the Federal.
Maybe bring Remington and a different brand for back up just in case you have the same situation as I had last time...?

I had a really bad experience with Remington at the last Appleseed I attended (tons of misfires). We switched to Federal halfway through the weekend because the Remington was so bad and had a much much better experience with the Federal.
Maybe bring Remington and a different brand for back up just in case you have the same situation as I had last time...?
Good call. Knock on wood, I've had good luck overall with Remington Golden Bullets, but I'll bring enough Federal to cover the weekend if need be.

Bring what your rifle likes to eat. Every rifle is different. If you don't know, get to the range tonight with several different boxes and find out.

Boy does Ross like caps. That post sounded like a beastie boys song. :p

And if I never hear that damned raining/training cliche again I'll die happy. It'll be a fine weekend.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom