Harvard, MA Appleseed Shoot November 14-15, 2009

The wife and I are signed up for Saturday only....this will be our 2nd Appleseed and we are both very excited.

Is this something I can do with a single shot .22? Someone said the shooting times are tight, do I need a semi-auto?

40 rounds in 4 minutes while transitioning from standing to sitting to prone. I wouldn't be able to do it with a single shot.

Pick up a 10/22, that's what I did.

Is this something I can do with a single shot .22? Someone said the shooting times are tight, do I need a semi-auto?

Well... you CAN learn to shoot with a single shot. However, you don't have a prayer of finishing an AQT in the time allotted with a single shot. And the AQT is how we measure your progress.

I'd follow Ed Morse's advice - pick up a semi auto, and equip it with some sort of peep sights (click-adjustable - Tech-Sights are a great brand), a sling, and enough magazines for 40 rounds. Many folks get a Ruger 10/22 and turn it into a Liberty Training Rifle - directions are in this subforum. Search for LTR.

Just to elaborate - if a single-shot is all you have, and you want to use it, we will work with you on it - you do not HAVE to buy anything! You just may not be very happy using it, though!

I think I can get a semi auto from my father or uncle for the weekend. I'm trying to avoid buying yet another firearm as I just picked up a .308 bolt gun. Thanks for the info

...just signed on for this. This will be Appleseed #1. I'm hoping to learn as much as I can as I have never had any training with the long guns at all. My 10/22 sporter with peep sights and sling I added will be in hand.

Just dropped $200 on gear at Dicks. I know we all agreed not to use them, but don't worry, I buy my guns and ammo at local stores. This was a generic gear purchase. It's unbelievable how much you can spend on totally random crap.

Got
  • open finger gloves
  • bean bag to rest rifle on
  • another soft rifle case
  • sling
  • swivels
  • another set of rings (I hate the ones I have now)
  • 2 more ruger mags
  • shooting mat (one of those mats you put under a sleeping bag)

Just make sure you put that stuff on solid and test it out during the week.

What's the bean bag for? :)

Just registered, so Gracie and I are in! Anyone think we might have weather for the weekend like we have right now? Just hopin......

I'm going to miss you and Gracie this weekend, David. Have a great time.
Here's the NOAA extended forecast for the weekend:
Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 58.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 55.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36.
No Jinx[wink]

Lookin' forward to this. I'm going to have to adjust to two weekends in a row of shooting...this could become more addicting. [wink]

Tech Sights setup just in, and waiting to go on the gun, but I can't find the purple Loc-tite anywhere. Slings are out for delivery and should be on my doorstep today. [grin]

Lookin' forward to this. I'm going to have to adjust to two weekends in a row of shooting...this could become more addicting. [wink]

Tech Sights setup just in, and waiting to go on the gun, but I can't find the purple Loc-tite anywhere. Slings are out for delivery and should be on my doorstep today. [grin]

Purple?...man I had issues with blue staying tight, nevermind purple. Red or nothing for me. So far that's the only thing that's worked for me.

Purple?...man I had issues with blue staying tight, nevermind purple. Red or nothing for me. So far that's the only thing that's worked for me.
For the tiny little screw on the front sight?

I'm not worried about blue on the screws to hold the rail to the receiver. (Savage rear sight, so no tool needed to adjust, but rail needs to be installed to mount the sight.) I was just worried about locking that front sight in place. I was just going to use clear nail polish for it, but I guess it's not THAT big a deal, as I'm not planning on pulling the sights off the gun any time soon.

I'll add a spare tube to what I'm bringing. Nothing more annoying than fasteners that loosen themselves.

speaking of sights, does anyone know where I could pick up an AR sight adjustment tool locally (around Burlington area)? I lost mine and was hoping to sight the AR and new tech sights tomorrow for the shoot.

speaking of sights, does anyone know where I could pick up an AR sight adjustment tool locally (around Burlington area)? I lost mine and was hoping to sight the AR and new tech sights tomorrow for the shoot.
It's a little steep, but at around $36 bucks, Wal Mart has Federal brand sight tools available in 100-packs. 55-gr tip type. [wink]

If you can't find them before Saturday, shoot me a PM before and I'll see if I can swing by First Defense - they're not local but I'm pretty sure they have them.

It's a little steep, but at around $36 bucks, Wal Mart has Federal brand sight tools available in 100-packs. 55-gr tip type. [wink]

If you can't find them before Saturday, shoot me a PM before and I'll see if I can swing by First Defense - they're not local but I'm pretty sure they have them.

Good point, I forgot you could use bullet tips to push in the detent, good call!

Thanks!

For the tiny little screw on the front sight?

Yup, that tiny little guy on the front. I installed my first one with blue...thing came loose after the barrel warmed up. Re-installed with blue (cleaned with brake cleaner), loosened up during Sat of my first Appleseed. So miffed with blue loctite, that I went to red and really cranked the thing down. It was fine until my rifle fell over one day right on the front site.

Got a new housing, installed with red loctite, shot it a bunch...no loosening.

If I walk out my front door and spit real hard I can hit FDF. If somebody needs me to swing by Wed/Thu (they are closed fridays) before the shoot...I can

If I walk out my front door and spit real hard I can hit FDF. If somebody needs me to swing by Wed/Thu (they are closed fridays) before the shoot...I can

well, the rear tech sight didn't like adjusting using the 223 round, if you end up stoping in there, could you check if they have any AR sight adjustment tools that will work with front and rear sights (that hopfuly should work with the tech sights) I'd buy it off ya on saturday.

Thanks!

well, the rear tech sight didn't like adjusting using the 223 round, if you end up stoping in there, could you check if they have any AR sight adjustment tools that will work with front and rear sights (that hopfuly should work with the tech sights) I'd buy it off ya on saturday.

Thanks!
Are you looking for a tool to do the windage adjustment or the elevation adjustment on the rear Tech Sights sight? Did you buy the TSR or TSM sights?

I could be wrong, but I'm unaware of a tool that does the TSR rear windage adjustment other than the one that Tech Sights sells.

I purposely bought the Marlin sights, which are rail-mounted as opposed to the receiver-mounted Ruger sights, since the adjustment of the Marlin rear sight can be done with no tools whatsoever.

TSR100. looking to adjust the windage (tis about 5 inches to the left at 25yrds)

I'm thinking of just fabricating somthing for saturday if this end up being the case, shouldn't be that hard hopfuly, lol.

I know we are on rain or shine, and Saturday looks like rain, but are we still kicking off at 8am?
I'd assume so.

Is this going to be 25yd, 100yd, or something else? Covered shooting positions, or not?

I'm kind of hoping it's covered, since more pleasant = more fun, but I'm definitely still in regardless of weather.

Back
Top Bottom