Hampton, NH PD Bullsh*t Pistol License

If you get pulled over and they ask to search your car without cause they can do it whether you approve or not, it doesn't matter what the law is they are the law!

It's not about whether anyone approves or not. Men fought and died for these rights! It matters what the law is because they're paid to enforce it, and if they don't, bending over and taking it is not the answer.

I fully support standing up for our rights but lets face it most if not all gun laws are unconstitutional so for your local police to do this is par for the course. One private citizen can not change anything without financial support among other things. Perhaps if she has nothing to hide ya'll might just want to coperate because if you get on their shit list it may cause problems going forward. If you get pulled over and they ask to search your car without cause they can do it whether you approve or not, it doesn't matter what the law is they are the law! The only way to beat them at their games is to hire a lawer and spend a bunch of money on court cost. If you chose to fight ask yourself if its really worth it because cops don't like being told no.

Said like a truly intimidated MA subject!

NH is different! Try reading up on what has happened to PDs that have tried this crap on people and been defeated in court!

Can they try retribution? Sure. Is it likely? Not really to any degree as it will be seen for what it is (in a Free State) and the courts will likely deal harshly with the offending police chief.

Even in MA it isn't as rampant as you obviously think. I've taken 2 of my police chiefs to task on issues (including one formal, written complaint against a chief) and never suffered any adverse consequences. Never even been stopped in 39 years here, never mind being hassled.

Can an officer anywhere ASK to search your car/house even without any probable cause (think Watertown fiasco)? Certainly! Can you politely decline with "Certainly officer, when you show me a search warrant!" politely stated . . . and you know that this will end any fishing expedition instantly.

It's not about whether anyone approves or not. Men fought and died for these rights! It matters what the law is because they're paid to enforce it, and if they don't, bending over and taking it is not the answer.

Yup. But many here are afraid to escalate a 6-12 month wait for a LTC renewal for "fear". If you don't stand up for your rights, you have no rights . . . and no right to complain. It really is that simple.

I fully support standing up for our rights but lets face it most if not all gun laws are unconstitutional so for your local police to do this is par for the course. One private citizen can not change anything without financial support among other things. Perhaps if she has nothing to hide ya'll might just want to coperate because if you get on their shit list it may cause problems going forward. If you get pulled over and they ask to search your car without cause they can do it whether you approve or not, it doesn't matter what the law is they are the law! The only way to beat them at their games is to hire a lawer and spend a bunch of money on court cost. If you chose to fight ask yourself if its really worth it because cops don't like being told no.

Care to rethink your post? [bs1]

The only way to beat them at their games is to hire a lawer and spend a bunch of money on court cost. If you chose to fight ask yourself if its really worth it because cops don't like being told no.

Not that I'm suggesting this, and it also is certainly unpopular to say, but no, that isn't the only way to beat them at their game. You could kill them.

I'm pretty sure our country was founded on doing exactly that.

Who said anything about unconstitutional? You obviously know nothing about New Hampshire law because the action the PD has done is a violation of the NH Revised Annotated Statutes (RSA). 159:6 in this case. While we can argue the Constitutionality of gun control laws that is for a different thread and not what is being discussed here. Try reading RSA 159 before commenting. You really have no excuse for not reading it because unlike the communist states to our south, it is written in a relatively straightforward manner and is short and to the point.

The law in NH disagrees with you. You, quite obviously, don't live there, or know anything abut how RSA 159 works.

-Mike

The law in NH disagrees with you. You, quite obviously, don't live there, or know anything abut how RSA 159 works.

-Mike

Couldn't be more correct. I find it comical that people that live in such repressive states think that just because we are next door the political climate is the same. The fact is that it couldn't be more different. Our form of government is based on town meeting and the people truly have a say. Budgets and expenses here require approval by local vote. I've lived in NH for more than two decades. We have our problems, but I wouldn't trade it of any of the states in this region. I spent the first 19 years of my life in MA and saw early on the way things were headed, so I got out quick.

This is kind of a bizarre, defeatist attitude, no?

You misunderstand, I started the thread by saying I FULLY SUPPORT STANDING UP FOR OUR RIGHTS! ALL GUN LAWS ARE UNCONSTITUTIONAL! My point is not to give up rather watch out for cops trying to get back at you, trust me I know I have been on the shit end of the stick and its not fun, I would prefer people stand up for gun rights.

-Mike
Your right I don't live there but I do know if a cop feels slighted he can make your life difficult fair or not. I would rather all gun laws be abolished and everyone stand up for our 2nd amendment rights.

Your right I don't live there but I do know if a cop feels slighted he can make your life difficult fair or not. I would rather all gun laws be abolished and everyone stand up for our 2nd amendment rights.

But do you understand we have laws to protect us from this and your state of residence probably does not. So your OP does not apply. You following any of this?

I swear people only hear (or read) what they want to hear. I DONT SUPPORT BENDING OVER AND TAKING IT! I had 2 points: 1st most if not all guns laws are absurd and 2nd watch out for cops who retaliate. That's it!

Said like a truly intimidated MA subject!

NH is different! Try reading up on what has happened to PDs that have tried this crap on people and been defeated in court!

Can they try retribution? Sure. Is it likely? Not really to any degree as it will be seen for what it is (in a Free State) and the courts will likely deal harshly with the offending police chief.

Even in MA it isn't as rampant as you obviously think. I've taken 2 of my police chiefs to task on issues (including one formal, written complaint against a chief) and never suffered any adverse consequences. Never even been stopped in 39 years here, never mind being hassled.

Can an officer anywhere ASK to search your car/house even without any probable cause (think Watertown fiasco)? Certainly! Can you politely decline with "Certainly officer, when you show me a search warrant!" politely stated . . . and you know that this will end any fishing expedition instantly.

Yup. But many here are afraid to escalate a 6-12 month wait for a LTC renewal for "fear". If you don't stand up for your rights, you have no rights . . . and no right to complain. It really is that simple.

You really missed the whole point.

I would choose to stand up and fight for what is right and I am sure the guy who started this post would as most NES members would if not all. Again my only point is watch out for cops (although many are good and support gun rights as I have many cops & ex-military in my family) who may try to retaliate, its something to be aware of but OK I admit I could have said it better as many people have got the wrong idea so PLEASE- I SUPPORT FIGHTING FOR THE 2ND AMENDMENT!

Your right I don't live there but I do know if a cop feels slighted he can make your life difficult fair or not.

You don't get it.. There's no "cost" or downside to fighting the machine on this one. Who cares if they "feel slighted" or not. The law is the law. If people don't give them a legal face-slap whenever they clearly and wantonly violate it, particularly when the law and the courts are in CLEARLY in their favor, then they're only doing a disservice to themselves and any other person that applies in that community. Complying with the bullshit requirements in this case only enables more bad behavior. If they get called out on it every time they try to pull it, eventually they'll stop doing it.

I'm a "play along to get along" kind of person most of the time. Not fighting this though, when there is a clear path to winning, is really, really stupid.

Would you not fight a speeding ticket given to you clearly in 110% error? This isn't any different.

-Mike

I swear people only hear (or read) what they want to hear. I DONT SUPPORT BENDING OVER AND TAKING IT!

No. You just suggested this would be the safest course of action. And quickly found out you were in the wrong state gun law forum after doing so...

Streeter is a MA LEO who _retired_ to the CLEO position in Newton. My assumption would be he does not support private ownership of firearms, believing only the state should be armed. Since the lawsuit I hear he has been abiding by the law, though.

Always send the application in registered return receipt. This limits the department's opportunity to add verbal instructions not required by law. I suppose they can just call and demand additional info, but at least you would have the paper trail for the application to turn over to a lawyer.

Got my carry permit shortly after he got slapped down by the court (didn't even show to fight it) and had no issue even while they were in disarray moving stations (4 days, including a weekend). From what i've heard from other townies, it was never a problem here but the complainant was "known" to the police but not a felon (and thereby shall be issued)

I also dealt with Sargent Jewett and not Streeter, and Jewett seems to be the only one actually trying to earn his paycheck between the two of them.

About a year ago though, he paid lip service to some mother hen at a zoning meeting who was squawking about the number of FFL's in town. Wouldn't surprise me if he's in the news for that if he denies the wrong one.

EDIT: digging through meeting minutes for Streeter fun:

2. Town of Newton, NH preliminary consultation and pre-application review of proposed change in land use.
a. Richard Thomas – 11 Kenwood Drive. Proposed Home Based Business (firearms dealer).

Richard Thomas addressed the Board. Mr. Thomas stated that he wanted to operate a business out of his home for sales of firearms, hunting rifles, and other things of that nature. He would be seeking a federal firearms license. The business would be on a small scale to supplement his income. He inquired about the process for getting this type of business approved in the Town of Newton.

Doggett stated that the Mr. Thomas would need to apply for a conditional use permit with the Planning Board. Doggett asked if there would be a store front with business hours.

Mr. Thomas replied that there would be no store front. He would conduct the business for 2-4 hours per week. He would meet clients at their home.

Gibbs arrived at 7:03 pm.

Miles noted previous concerns by the Police Chief regarding the number of guns for sale in the Town of Newton. She stated that it would be important for Mr. Thomas to check with the Police Chief to address his concerns.

Mr. Thomas stated that he has already contacted the Police Chief. He explained that the ATF federal license will be reviewed by the Police Chief. Mr. Thomas also explained his background as a former U.S. Marine with experience handling explosive ordinance and storing munitions.

Richard Thomas of Newton, NH continuation of a public hearing to obtain a conditional use permit for a home based business (firearms dealer) at 11 Kenwood Drive. The property is referenced as Tax Map 7, Block 3, Lot 22-12.

Mr. Thomas addressed the Board. Mr. Thomas presented his business plan to the Board. Some details from the plan are as follows:
The purpose of the home based business is to supplement retirement income by buying, selling, repairing, and modifying firearms.
The applicant is a former U.S. Marine with expertise in munitions.
No advertising will occur on the property.
Approximate time spent on firearms business – Four days per week (No Sundays), four hours per day.
Town acceptance of the business is the first step in the approval process. The application will be subject to approval from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF). The federal approval is contingent upon a site visit, interview, and extensive background check of the applicant.
Miles asked the applicant why he chose to operate the business out of his home and not within another type of zoned area (such as the Village District Zone).

Mr. Thomas responded that he was trying to keep the business as low-key as possible. Also, operating the business out of his home was less costly and provided flexibility in operating hours.

Melvin stated that a home based firearms business is very typical in the State of New Hampshire.

Miles stated that the Town of Newton needs to examine regulations limiting how many firearms sales businesses are allowed within the Residential A zone.

Doggett stated that the current zoning ordinances do not prohibit a home based firearms business. The Planning Board cannot deny the current application as long as it conforms to the current zoning ordinances and regulations. In his opinion, the current application conforms to the ordinances and regulations.
Estabrook moved to accept jurisdiction of the application. Second by White. Motion carried 5-0-1 with Miles abstaining.

Doggett asked for abutter comments. There were no abutters present. Milner presented two letters from residents in the Kenwood Drive neighborhood opposing a firearms sales business within a residential neighborhood.

Groth asked if the business operations conformed to the home based business ordinance by not exceeding 25% of the total floor area of finished floor space of the dwelling.

Mr. Thomas responded that the business operations would use far less than 25% of the total floor area. He presented photos to the Board of the office and storage areas to be used.

Estabrook asked for specifics on the quantity of firearms and ammunition for sale that will be stored on the property.

Mr. Thomas responded that a maximum of six (6) firearms will be available for sale on the property. There will be no ammunition available for sale on the property. All ammunition will be for the applicant's personal use.

White asked the applicant how he was going to advertise his business.

Mr. Thomas responded that he would generate business primarily from word of mouth. He has no need or desire to grow the business beyond what he has presented to the Board.

White asked if the firearms customers are subject to background checks.

Mr. Thomas responded that the firearms customers are required to submit to background checks.

Miller asked for specifics regarding security to prevent theft of the firearms on the property.

Mr. Thomas responded that the following security features are in place:
There are locks throughout the home.
The firearms are stored in 800 lb gun safes bolted to the walls.
The applicant owns a large German Shepherd dog.
There is a family presence in the home a majority of the time.
An alarm system may be purchased in the future if funds become available.
Doggett asked for public comment.

Resident Jessica Ouellette addressed the Board. She asked the applicant what kind of firearms would be available for sale and if the business would include restoring guns.

Mr. Thomas responded that a variety of firearms (such as long guns, hunting guns, and hand guns) would be available for sale. Services, such as repair and modification of firearms, would also be provided.

Ms. Ouellette stated that she was concerned that a firearms business would attract a bad element to a neighborhood with children.

Mr. Thomas responded that he does not want to do anything that will compromise the safety of the neighborhood. He works for the federal government. He associates and conducts business with responsible, law-abiding citizens. He has gone above and beyond what other gun owners do to ensure that his firearms are secure.

Resident Heather Bell asked the applicant what kind of license he would receive from the government.

Mr. Thomas responded that he would apply for a FLL license that would include specifics concerning the types of firearms for sale. The ATF would conduct an interview and site visit.

Ms. Bell asked, if the applicant changed the nature of or expanded the firearms business, would the community need to be notified of the change.

Melvin responded that the community would need to be notified of a change in the business.

Ms. Bell stated her concern with the character of the customers and the increase of traffic coming to the neighborhood to purchase the firearms.

Mr. Thomas responded that he has a vested interest in the well-being of the neighborhood in which he lives. He will comply with all state and federal laws. Minimizing negative impacts on the neighborhood will outweigh any desire to generate sales.

Ms. Bell stated her opposition to a firearms business in the neighborhood.

White stated that every firearms customer must submit to a federal background check. In her opinion, the applicant secures his guns better than most other people in the Town of Newton.

Miles stated that the Planning Board has no plan to evaluate and control the number of firearms businesses in the Town of Newton. A policy needs to be created in the Town of Newton regarding firearms businesses.

Doggett stated that the Planning Board must follow the current zoning ordinances. Residents may create amendments to the zoning ordinances if they wish to regulate firearms businesses.

Groth stated that the applicant is meeting the requirements of the current zoning ordinances. He concurred with Doggett that residents may create a petition for town vote to prohibit firearms sales within home based businesses.

Miller moved to issue a conditional use permit to Richard Thomas for a home based business (firearms dealer) at 11 Kenwood Drive. Second by Melvin. The motion carried 4-2 with Miles and Estabrook opposed.

White suggested that a review of the business be conducted after two (2) years as was required for the previous firearms business approved by the Board. Doggett suggested that the Board reconsider its previous motion and entertain a new motion.

White moved that the Planning Board reconsider the motion to issue the conditional use permit for the home based business application at 11 Kenwood Drive. Second by Miller. Motion carried unanimously.

White moved to issue a conditional use permit to Richard Thomas for a home based business (firearms dealer) at 11 Kenwood Drive. The conditional use permit shall expire on March 1, 2014. At that time, the business will be subject to review by the Planning Board without fee to the applicant. Second by Miller. Motion carried 4-2 with Miles and Estabrook opposed.

Doggett closed the public hearing.

State Firearms License for Richard Thomas of 11 Kenwood Drive
The Board reviewed a request from Richard Thomas of 11 Kenwood Drive for a State Firearms License for an approved Home Based Business from the Planning Board which expires on March 1, 2014. Selectman Thayer asked Chief Streeter where he stands on this issue. Streeter responded that the Planning Board approved this home based business (firearms dealer) in a residential neighborhood; he prefers that the Board sign the State License. Having the Selectmen sign the license allows them to suspend or revoke the license, if necessary.

Selectman Thayer stated that he is not going to sign the license; McCarthy and Melvin agreed to sign the license.

Sounds like he's abjugating his responsible to sign off on FFL's... we really need to limit town/chiefs ability to dick with someone applying for an FFL. This guys was dragged through so much BS for nothing.

Last edited:
I did notice that the "problem children" when it comes to NH P&Rs tend to be border towns. The Newton, NH fiasco was a big one. Then there was a Portsmouth one. Hudson forces applicants to include reference's phone numbers too.

My license from Pelham had no shenanigans- simple form, signed, 10 days later, license.

I admit I could have said it better since too many have misunderstood my point. I would choose to stand up and fight for what is right and I am sure the guy who started this post would as most NES members would if not all. Again my only point is watch out for cops (although many are good and support gun rights as I have many cops & ex-military in my family) who may try to retaliate, its something to be aware and again I admit I could have said it better as many people have got the wrong idea so PLEASE- I SUPPORT FIGHTING FOR THE 2ND AMENDMENT!

Just stop. You're not helping, and if I do drag this to court, and believe me that I ABSOLUTELY WILL, they will be the ones paying my court costs after they lose.

Got my carry permit shortly after he got slapped down by the court (didn't even show to fight it) and had no issue even while they were in disarray moving stations (4 days, including a weekend). From what i've heard from other townies, it was never a problem here but the complainant was "known" to the police but not a felon (and thereby shall be issued)

I also dealt with Sargent Jewett and not Streeter, and Jewett seems to be the only one actually trying to earn his paycheck between the two of them.

About a year ago though, he paid lip service to some mother hen at a zoning meeting who was squawking about the number of FFL's in town. Wouldn't surprise me if he's in the news for that if he denies the wrong one.

EDIT: digging through meeting minutes for Streeter fun:

Sounds like he's abjugating his responsible to sign off on FFL's... we really need to limit town/chiefs ability to dick with someone applying for an FFL. This guys was dragged through so much BS for nothing.

What a joke that he had to jump through all those hoops! Not sure who " Ms. Bell " is but she needs to be voted out of that town position! No such Bull sh** in my town, thankfully.

What a joke that he had to jump through all those hoops! Not sure who " Ms. Bell " is but she needs to be voted out of that town position! No such Bull sh** in my town, thankfully.

She doesn't hold a position, just a nitwit busy body attending a meeting. Fortunately, since I've been here, two selectman have been given the boot for being a little moonbatty. Melvin is one of the good guys. It's a very red town, with one of the best gun clubs in the region, so antics don't last long with that shit.

We just got back from the Hampton PD. They would not let us turn in my wife's application. They immediately gave her a hard time about not providing phone numbers for her references (not required and on the state form) not providing a copy of her drivers license and vehicle registration (not required on the state form) and then gave us an additional form (attached).

The extremely rude and inept receptionist couldn't get past the fact that we weren't providing anything more than what is on the P&R application, and got the on-duty sergeant B.W. Newcomb was even less helpful, spouting such bullsh*t as "we don't know who we are dealing with if you don't give us the information."

Long story short, I need an attorney, ASAP. Bullshit.jpg

We will not bend over. We will not submit. We will fight this until we get out justice.

Long story short, I need an attorney, ASAP.

We will not bend over. We will not submit. We will fight this until we get out justice.

oh-shit.gif

I'm a few towns over, let me know if I can assist in any way.

Damn, what a bunch of damn ass clowns.

Do they even know the laws?? They are asking for things that aren't required by law, and think they are going to get away with it.

*******s.

Back
Top Bottom