Legality of Storing Guns w/ Friend in NH?

Hello Everyone. The (non grandfathering) 10 round magazine ban last year in RI has cemented my desire to acquire a second home in NH. I have the resources to make it happen and the long term plan but our boys are in high school and halfway across the country every other weekend for their sport. Obviously this is a fragile, dangerous age that requires a lot of supervision so I wouldn't have time to make this a reality in the next handful of years. Unfortunately it looks like this year an Assault Weapons Ban in RI is a done deal and will occur. The only grandfathering of such classified guns would be if you registered them with law enforcement and upon passage we will have 1 year to register or "dispose" of the guns which isn't enough of a time table for us to obtain a NH property.

I was thinking of registering some, but not all of my semi auto so legally defined "assault" style guns, basically the ones I would wish to keep enjoying in RI at the moment without having to worry about a felony charge every other range trip.

The others I was thinking of taking and keeping for long term storage at a friend's place who lives in NH. I would obviously buy a safe for him to keep them securely until such a time that I could acquire property and then take them back to keep at our future second home when I can acquire one. There wouldn't be a transfer, I would still be the technical owner, and he would not be using them in any way, just securely storing them with me until I can finally obtain a NH house/property where to keep them and obviously never bring them back to RI.

Is it legal for me to store/keep guns from RI that are my property at a friend's house in NH for an indeterminate period of time (say 2-5 years) with the intention of taking them back?

The others I was thinking of taking and keeping for long term storage at a friend's place who lives in NH. I would obviously buy a safe for him to keep them securely until such a time that I could acquire property and then take them back to keep at our future second home when I can acquire one. There wouldn't be a transfer, I would still be the technical owner,

Is it legal for me to store/keep guns from RI that are my property at a friend's house in NH for an indeterminate period of time (say 2-5 years) with the intention of taking them back?
New Hampshire doesn't care.

Buying the safe and not giving him the combination is a good step to ensure there's no way this could be interpreted as a "transfer" and (and thus a violation of federal law).

It's perfectly legal to do so. I would also write up an agreement with him, indicating that this is not a transfer, indicating that he does not have the combination to the safe, and that you have the right to pickup the guns and safe from him with reasonable notice. It doesn't have to be written by a lawyer, but just have something in writing, signed and dated by both of you.

I've stored guns for folks in this manner on a couple occasions.

Do you fill out an agreement when your buddy borrows your trap gun?
My buddy doesn’t borrow my trap gun for 6 months. Is an agreement needed? No. Might it be helpful if questions get asked? I think it might and it is easy to do -- 10 minutes to write one up.

The point of the agreement isn't that I don't trust my buddy. The point of the agreement is if for some reason my buddy ends up being the focus of a police investigation, that there is something in writing, written well before such an investigation, that indicates that he is just storing these guns, and that this isn't an illegal, interstate, private firearms transfer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, good to know it's legal. Yes I would be buying a safe. The document could also be drafted in multiple copies and we can even take a photo of it on our respective devices to prove the date and leave one inside the safe replete w/ contact info so that in the extremely unlikely chance it gets opened or "inspected" as mentioned it will pass muster.

The timeline is 3-5 years. It's nuts how my kids' sports have taken over our lives. Plus they have so much homework I feel bad distracting them. I used to shoot a lot more often but they have been a massive time suck in that regards. It's an absolute "cock block" with regards to most of my weekend recreation plans so there's simply no way I could purchase a property and have the ability to go up north to keep after it like it would demand. This too shall pass.

We have been renting in NH for the last decade enough to know that it's right up our alley. The first attempts at all the bans following Sandy Hook 10 years ago planted the seed in my mind. Now that they're carrying this out I am sick of RI. Nice people that live here but they are total sheep. When my parents moved to RI many years ago and started this awesome business we got they could have done it anywhere in the country. They were super right wing even then and should have moved to a red state. They should have paid attention to Danny DeVito's "Other People's Money" which basically is a PSA regarding the toxic politics in RI: "Rob from the Rich and pay off the poor enough on voting to prop up an unproductive upper middle class". Just as true then as it is now.

Back
Top Bottom