• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hampton, NH PD Bullsh*t Pistol License

So an appointment before you can apply along with a training certificate and fingerprints are "more straight forward?" Sorry, I don't buy it.

I think he's talking referring the byzantine illegal requirements with the references, etc. I mean granted in NH all of that is meaningless if you wish to crush the PD, but it still is pretty retarded.

-Mike

If you actually look at the law. MA licensing requirements are very simple.

One check vs several for some states. One form. Very simple. The complexity is all the crap that MA towns add to the process. Based on the law, you should be able to get printed and mail your MA LTC app in. There is nothing in the law that even obliquely mentions interviews.

But once again, we see that MA is a lawless place with respect to firearms "rights".

Even if the form was legitimate, where is the requirement that anyone HAVE a driver's license, or have a car registered to him or herself?

Where is it stated in any law that one must have a home phone?

Even if the form was legitimate, where is the requirement that anyone HAVE a driver's license, or have a car registered to him or herself?

Where is it stated in any law that one must have a home phone?

The state police are directed with creating the form (this is IMHO a very bad weak point in the law because it allows the SP to suddenly decide to add all kinds of shit to the form). On that form they made the telephone number and the social security number listed as optional. I have seen many departments cross out the word "optional" underneath the line for the telephone number which is a violation of the law since towns are not allowed to modify the form.

Today, 13 days after the application was submitted, my wife (cannawope) got a phone call from an extremely polite detective. He told her that her license was ready for pickup. He also told her that when she came to the station to pick it up, all she had to do was present her ID. She decided to wait till I got home so I could go with her, and we just got back with her licence. No bullsh*t, no nothing. She showed her ID, took her license and was in and out of the station in about 47 seconds.

Thank you to everyone for your support and guidance in squashing this, as I'm sure that the multitude of emails that the HPD was bombarded with had much to do with this resolution.

Moving forward, we need to make sure this never happens again. There is a Hampton Board of Selectmen meeting pretty much every Monday. Would it be appropriate to make a public statement, there?

Glad it got sorted. Let us know how the meeting goes.

The meetings are all recorded and then saved to hamptonnh.gov for your viewing pleasure. I just need to work out a time that fits my work schedule.

Glad it worked out. Disappointed there was even an issue in the first place though.

I am, too. But my wife pointed out that it feels good to stand up for what's right.

Good to hear. Even weirder that they never mentioned the 'visit'. How was this outcome possible without any dogs getting shot and us south of the border not having our asses served after our LTCs were revoked for the emails[rofl]

Good to hear. Even weirder that they never mentioned the 'visit'. How was this outcome possible without any dogs getting shot and us south of the border not having our asses served after our LTCs were revoked for the emails[rofl]

No idea. I'm just happy to close the book on this chapter, and start writing "Hampton, NH PD Bullsh*t Pistol License 2: Electric Boogaloo" where we go on the offensive and take this straight to the town to make sure this never happens to anyone else.

If you actually look at the law. MA licensing requirements are very simple.

One check vs several for some states. One form. Very simple. The complexity is all the crap that MA towns add to the process. Based on the law, you should be able to get printed and mail your MA LTC app in. There is nothing in the law that even obliquely mentions interviews.

But once again, we see that MA is a lawless place with respect to firearms "rights".
QFT.

Last time I renewed, they asked me if anything changed. I said no, they took my pic, and I was done.

Hell, for initial applicants my PD doesn't even require a written application. You give them the info verbally, they put it in the computer, print it out, and you sign it.

QFT.

Last time I renewed, they asked me if anything changed. I said no, they took my pic, and I was done.

Hell, for initial applicants my PD doesn't even require a written application. You give them the info verbally, they put it in the computer, print it out, and you sign it.

"Under pains and penalties of perjury"! That is true but a very dangerous practice for the applicant. Forget anything in doing this and you can be denied and it will hold up as application perjury.

Personally I prefer to do it on paper, gives me time to think about the answers (many here get nervous in PDs) and "research" anything that we need to on our own time prior to turning it in.

Have you ever held a License to Carry in any other state, territory or jurisdiction?
If "YES", when, where and license number?

The above is a good example. I never carry my PA, ME and FL licenses with me as there is no way that I'll find myself in those states (or reciprocal states) without advance planning. Thus "off the cuff" I could not answer "when" or "license number"! YMMV

Cyberlogix

Prior to the Selectman's meeting, I'd educate myself on the heirarchy of the PD.

Specifically, I'd know who the Chief reports to. My town in CT doesn't have a chief, so the First Selectman is the CLEO. So the board of Selectman would be great.

Also one question. Does your PD have any kind of civilian police oversight board? Some do. I'd find when this group met and arrange to present.

Obie

What town is this? I'm guessing its not inside 128, or even 495.

It just blows my mind what they subject people to. And the only reason its allowed is because the CLEO has ultimate discretion as to who can even posses a firearm in "his" town. Unless you want to be deemed "unsuitable", you submit to all the extra-legal scrutiny the CLEO can dream up.

In CT, we advise people to just ignore any extra requirements and mail the license application in. The CT form is available in PDF form on the DESPP web site. 95% of the time it doesn't cause any problems. The worst offender is New Haven. They want you to sign an affidavit waiving your HIPAA rights as well as allowing them to pull credit reports, speak with employers, etc. But they always back down if you just ignore them.

Last edited:
Cyberlogix

Prior to the Selectman's meeting, I'd educate myself on the heirarchy of the PD.

Specifically, I'd know who the Chief reports to. My town in CT doesn't have a chief, so the First Selectman is the CLEO. So the board of Selectman would be great.

Also one question. Does your PD have any kind of civilian police oversight board? Some do. I'd find when this group met and arrange to present.

Good thoughts. I'll look into it.

I gather your wife got her license in the end without supplying the extra information by way of mailing it in? You have to wonder if it's a flunky who took, "we would really like to get" as "we have to get" and became a little tyrant. Many towns "ask" verbally for stuff they won't require. And the best way around that is to just mail in the standard form with nothing extra.

Mind, there are some towns where they will apologize for even asking for your own phone number (which obviously they can get) and will give you a receipt and have a nice day for dropping it off in person. But NH is the a-la-carte state. Every service costs. Every town is highly independent and YMMV. Sometimes they need a reminder when there's a state-level override.

In this case, since I gather you both got your licenses without supplying the extra info (despite the posturing by the flunky), maybe you should contact Penny Dean and see if she is interested in sending a "reminder" letter to the chief before you go off on him at a Selectman meeting. She's been known to do that rather effectively - it seems to be her particular mission (bless her) to make sure the various towns adhere to the "no other form" requirement.

I was talking to my nephew the other day and this is his Manchester NH experience.
Showed up with his app renewal form.
Was in line and 4:00 rolled around as he was sliding his paper work through the window.
The clown all but slammed it on his hand. He actually had to lift it so he could pull back his form.
"Come back on time"
Not illegal but definitely a douche move.
He come back and turns it in.
He gets it back in the mail, because he didn't fill out the phone numbers.
6 weeks later, he gets his license.
He had called a couple of times and they were belligerent to him apparently.

Had I know while this was happening, I would've referred him to Nappen. I found all this out after.
I never had a problem with Manchester when I lived there. This has apparently changed.

I was talking to my nephew the other day and this is his Manchester NH experience.
Showed up with his app renewal form.
Was in line and 4:00 rolled around as he was sliding his paper work through the window.
The clown all but slammed it on his hand. He actually had to lift it so he could pull back his form.
"Come back on time"
Not illegal but definitely a douche move.
He come back and turns it in.
He gets it back in the mail, because he didn't fill out the phone numbers.
6 weeks later, he gets his license.
He had called a couple of times and they were belligerent to him apparently.

Had I know while this was happening, I would've referred him to Nappen. I found all this out after.
I never had a problem with Manchester when I lived there. This has apparently changed.

I just renewed in Manchester. Mailed in the app via certified mail, return receipt requested. I didn't include phone numbers for my references. They were never even called as far as I know.

Exactly 14 days later my permit was ready.

Back
Top Bottom