• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hampton, NH PD Bullsh*t Pistol License

So, I got my wife a 1911 as a winter solstice gift, and we headed over to the police station to get her pistol permit so she can carry. When they gave her the form, they also added a post-it note demanding a copy of her drivers license and car registration.

Doesn't the RSA 159:6 Section I-B "No other forms shall be used by officials of cities and towns."
and Section II "No photograph or fingerprint shall be required or used as a basis to grant, deny, or renew a license to carry for a resident or nonresident, unless requested by the applicant."

preclude them from adding a sticky note to the application and also demand her ID?

UPDATE POST 395

Last edited:
It certainly does. I would fill out the form, as provided by the state, and turn it in. Wait the 14 days, and if they deny in writing, or do not respond, I would be in contact with a lawyer within minutes. If you want to really have fun, throw in the obligatory battle cry of NES: EABOD then FOAD!!!!

This mentality is creeping in from the south, and we need to make all possible efforts to kill it.

Did they have those 'requirements' when you got your P&R license?

There's no pistol permit in NH. There's a Pistol/Revolver License, I think that's what you meant. Sorry to sound like a jackass, but we need to use the right language.

IMHO, put your foot down on the RSA 159:6. Or contact Evan Nappen. Nappen sorted out the bullshit that was happening elsewhere. Nip it in the bud.

Note: My town required that I show ID to verify that once the license was available, that I was the actual licensee. I didn't have a problem with that. But if they're requiring ANYTHING else, like phone numbers, doctor's notes, vehicle registrations, time to tell them to FOAD. Nicely. [wink]

Another vote for ignoring the post-it and submitting the state required form with no additions. If they come back and tell them you're missing additional paperwork, print them out a copy of the statue and highlight the section quoted in your first post.

Stick it too them before you end up with discretionary crap like we're getting just south of you.

And if they give you any BS, point to RSA 159:6 and if they still don't like it, politely inform them (but with confidence in your voice) that the judge will not be happy since this has been won in court before.

You can always name drop Evan Nappen since he has won several of these kinds of cases. Also, regardless of what happens at the station, contact PGNH and GONH (and NHFC for shits and giggles) anyway to have them draft a letter (signed by the respective attorneys of those organizations, Penny Dean for GONH and Nappen for PGNH) to let the Hampton Police know they are on notice that no BS will be tolerated.

I would obviously be polite, but don't take no for an answer, and if they give you much grief, I'd ask for a receipt stating that you submitted the application, and make sure you keep a copy, just in case things go really sideways. Good luck!

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

I would ignore it, and not say anything. No need to even bring it up. If they ask about the stuff on the sticky note, tell them no thank you, and leave it at that. Arguing about it, bring up the RSA, all that accomplishes is that they think you are showing them up, and that never gets people anywhere. Now of course I hate that they even asked for anything else, but hopefully they were just asking with the hope that people would comply, so it makes it easier for them to verify identity, and with no intention of taking it anywhere if you don't comply.

They can FOAD on the reg, the ID is legit if you are picking up the license and not having it mailed.

This mentality is creeping in from the south, and we need to make all possible efforts to kill it.

This x10000000

Stand your ground on this, hardcore. I will go postal if I see NH eventually fall like MA. Kick some ass sea bass!

Tell Hampton NH PD to **** themselves.

Fill out the form as is required under the RSA's. Nothing more.

This isn't ****ing MA. It may be close to the border but come on now.

Fill out the form and mail it to them registered mail, return receipt requested.

Don't go in there and argue with them, just mail it in and take note of the date they signed for it.

If they call you with any BS, simply state that you submitted the application as required by NH law and you look forward to receiving the license within 14 days (not 14 business days, just 14 days).

No need to get in a pissing match at this point. The law is clearly on your side.

I did notice that the "problem children" when it comes to NH P&Rs tend to be border towns. The Newton, NH fiasco was a big one. Then there was a Portsmouth one. Hudson forces applicants to include reference's phone numbers too.

Brookline has no problems with the form. I don't think Hollis does either.

Also, regardless of what happens at the station, contact PGNH and GONH (and NHFC for shits and giggles) anyway to have them draft a letter (signed by the respective attorneys of those organizations, Penny Dean for GONH and Nappen for PGNH) to let the Hampton Police know they are on notice that no BS will be tolerated.

Yes do this. Get them to nip it in the bud.

Taking the passive approach will probably work but I guarantee that they will just consider you a one time pest and still badger the next person with the illegal requirement. If you actually want a correction to happen then what Soloman said is pretty solid advice.

-Mike

I did notice that the "problem children" when it comes to NH P&Rs tend to be border towns. The Newton, NH fiasco was a big one. Then there was a Portsmouth one. Hudson forces applicants to include reference's phone numbers too.
Streeter is a MA LEO who _retired_ to the CLEO position in Newton. My assumption would be he does not support private ownership of firearms, believing only the state should be armed. Since the lawsuit I hear he has been abiding by the law, though.

Always send the application in registered return receipt. This limits the department's opportunity to add verbal instructions not required by law. I suppose they can just call and demand additional info, but at least you would have the paper trail for the application to turn over to a lawyer.

Download the form from the State Police website- so they cannot add any extraneous BS on it- a few towns add in stuff and the modified form is what they have at the station or on their own web site.

Put in ONLY the required information- NOTHING MORE.

Mail it in return receipt requested- that way you have a paper trail of exactly when the 14 day clock starts.

IF you put your phone number on it (not required)- wait for the call. Or contact them at 13 days and state you will be in tomorrow to pick up your license.

They can request photo ID to give you your license- but don't let it out of your sight or allow them to make a copy of it.

If there is an issue contact Penny Dean or Evan Nappen for legal help- and report this BS to Pro Gun NH (Evan Nappen works with them) and Gun Owners of NH (Penny Dean works with them) so they are aware.

I admit I could have said it better since too many have misunderstood my point. I would choose to stand up and fight for what is right and I am sure the guy who started this post would as most NES members would if not all. Again my only point is watch out for cops (although many are good and support gun rights as I have many cops & ex-military in my family) who may try to retaliate, its something to be aware and again I admit I could have said it better as many people have got the wrong idea so PLEASE- I SUPPORT FIGHTING FOR THE 2ND AMENDMENT!

Last edited:
I fully support standing up for our rights but lets face it most if not all gun laws are unconstitutional so for your local police to do this is par for the course. One private citizen can not change anything without financial support among other things. Perhaps if she has nothing to hide ya'll might just want to coperate because if you get on their shit list it may cause problems going forward. If you get pulled over and they ask to search your car without cause they can do it whether you approve or not, it doesn't matter what the law is they are the law! The only way to beat them at their games is to hire a lawer and spend a bunch of money on court cost. If you chose to fight ask yourself if its really worth it because cops don't like being told no.

In NH if the PD is imposing requirements contrary to law for issuance of a P&R license, they can (and have) been spanked by lawyers and the NH AG. If they refuse to issue without it, you can take them to court and get your court costs and attorney's fees paid for by the CoP.

I fully support standing up for our rights but lets face it most if not all gun laws are unconstitutional so for your local police to do this is par for the course. One private citizen can not change anything without financial support among other things. Perhaps if she has nothing to hide ya'll might just want to coperate because if you get on their shit list it may cause problems going forward. If you get pulled over and they ask to search your car without cause they can do it whether you approve or not, it doesn't matter what the law is they are the law! The only way to beat them at their games is to hire a lawer and spend a bunch of money on court cost. If you chose to fight ask yourself if its really worth it because cops don't like being told no.

This is kind of a bizarre, defeatist attitude, no?

Good little sheep. I'm sure you are a staunch supporter of standing in line to register all your 'assault weapons' and 'assault mags' in ct right? Live in fear my friend. Someone needs to take a stand because surely it won't be you.

Back
Top Bottom