• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Had to do it...DELIVERED 9/16/16

Pics please

- - - Updated - - -

Just received my service grade today.It is my first cmp order I couldn't be happier
july of 42 Springfield
45 Springfield barrel
62 Springfield rebuild electric penciled
cmp stock
normal mix match but should be a good shooter

Pics please

if i didnt need to stock up on powder , primers and bullets I would order another. I could use a new stock for a bedding project and I have a nice SA stock to put on what ever I get.

I'm tempted as well.

Once CMP has your notary and club information on file it's as simple as filling out a few pages and sending that envelope in ................

...and once you've successfully registered, you're good for three years and do not have to refile the whole notarized document, only the order form.

T

I'm tempted as well.

Once CMP has your notary and club information on file it's as simple as filling out a few pages and sending that envelope in ................

almost too easy...lol.

basically what prompted my recent purchase...

my brain works like this...pretty much word for word:

"huh, looks like the CMP has M1's again via MajSpud...maybe I'll just look to see if they have service grades...oh, look! there's service grades! maybe i'll just click the fillable form tab...oh, auto fill, you already filled out most of the form for me...maybe i'll just hit that little print icon at the top right and see what happens...well, the paper didn't jam, so i guess it was meant to be! M1 number three, here we go!" :D

i've been REALLY lucky so far with the first two and received two rifles with VERY minimal muzzle erosion...like less than .5!

they're both mixmaster deluxes, but I imagine they shoot not far off from the day they were made (both have given me cloverleaf groups at 50yds, so assuming they'd be sub MOA if the stars aligned). my tractor gun has an LMR barrel...they (the cmp) actually called me and told me they were running low on them and that I could opt for one without an LMR and I asked them to dig deep and find me one and they did! :D

i think i'll order this one, and possibly one more next year...then that ought to do it, and i'll start concentrating on my m1903 and schmidt rubin collections again...and then i'd like to start with Mausers when I buy another safe...mac1911, you're just as guilty as MajSpud, I hope you realize!

Last edited:
almost too easy...lol.

basically what prompted my recent purchase...

my brain works like this...pretty much word for word:

"huh, looks like the CMP has M1's again via MajSpud...maybe I'll just look to see if they have service grades...oh, look! there's service grades! maybe i'll just click the fillable form tab...oh, auto fill, you already filled out most of the form for me...maybe i'll just hit that little print icon at the top right and see what happens...well, the paper didn't jam, so i guess it was meant to be! M1 number three, here we go!" :D

i've been REALLY lucky so far with the first two and received two rifles with VERY minimal muzzle erosion...like less than .5!

they're both mixmaster deluxes, but I imagine they shoot not far off from the day they were made (both have given me cloverleaf groups at 50yds, so assuming they'd be sub MOA if the stars aligned). my tractor gun has an LMR barrel...they (the cmp) actually called me and told me they were running low on them and that I could opt for one without an LMR and I asked them to dig deep and find me one and they did! :D

i think i'll order this one, and possibly one more next year...then that ought to do it, and i'll start concentrating on my m1903 and schmidt rubin collections again...and then i'd like to start with Mausers when I buy another safe...mac1911, you're just as guilty as MajSpud, I hope you realize!

I will take the guilty charge..... now punish me with a M1 and 10k rounds of ammo and condemn me to range time of consecutive weekends until I cant see the targets!

I seriously considered dropping an order into the CMP.. Almost printed out the order forum earlier today at work...... Until White Oak called me a little while ago and said my A2 upper is shipping. So it looks like no M1 (not that I needed another one) , but at least I can shoot modern military now :)

I seriously considered dropping an order into the CMP.. Almost printed out the order forum earlier today at work...... Until White Oak called me a little while ago and said my A2 upper is shipping. So it looks like no M1 (not that I needed another one) , but at least I can shoot modern military now :)

what did you get for the upper from white oak.....

what did you get for the upper from white oak.....

Originally ordered their standard A2 competition upper. 1:7 twist, wylde chamber, 1/4 minute pinned rear sight, .062 front sight, float tube.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sh...n-pinned-rear-sight-0-62-front-post-1204.html

Pretty standard fare for a lot of the AR competition shooters I know.

Received a call earlier today and the woman said they had a cancelation similar to mine, but the barrel was different (shillen barrel). Same everything else with regard to config, but the barrel up-charge was $50. She also mentioned I could obviously decline and that my order would be another ~3 weeks out. Didn't wanna wait so I told her OK. They already charged my card and I just received a shipping notice from UPS.

It's always painful when a gun part ships on Thur or Fri and you have to wait all weekend. A number of times CMP decided to ship my M1 on a Friday....

Originally ordered their standard A2 competition upper. 1:7 twist, wylde chamber, 1/4 minute pinned rear sight, .062 front sight, float tube.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sh...n-pinned-rear-sight-0-62-front-post-1204.html

Pretty standard fare for a lot of the AR competition shooters I know.

Received a call earlier today and the woman said they had a cancelation similar to mine, but the barrel was different (shillen barrel). Same everything else with regard to config, but the barrel up-charge was $50. She also mentioned I could obviously decline and that my order would be another ~3 weeks out. Didn't wanna wait so I told her OK. They already charged my card and I just received a shipping notice from UPS.

It's always painful when a gun part ships on Thur or Fri and you have to wait all weekend. A number of times CMP decided to ship my M1 on a Friday....

50$ up charge for a shillen barrel i would have said YES also. You know your not "mondern military" legal with that right?

50$ up charge for a shillen barrel i would have said YES also. You know your not "mondern military" legal with that right?

Yeah I kinda knew that about MM. I'm reading the CMP Rulebooks now.. The config is legal for Service Rilfle but the float tube would fail it for MM.

"No special accurizing is permitted except that a non-adjustable slingswivel may be attached to the forward end of the handguard. "

Also can't be over 8.5 lbs without sling

Speaking of CMP rules... Here is one I don't agree with

1903/A3

"The use of shims made of any material in the action and barrel beddingareas of the stock is prohibited. "

There are documented instances of USGI armorers using shims on the rear tang area of the 1903 stock. They made "D" shaped shims. 1903s should have 4-5? lbs of downward pressure on the stock forend. The shims restore this functionality as the stocks compressed from use or other reasons.

Speaking of CMP rules... Here is one I don't agree with

1903/A3

"The use of shims made of any material in the action and barrel beddingareas of the stock is prohibited. "

There are documented instances of USGI armorers using shims on the rear tang area of the 1903 stock. They made "D" shaped shims. 1903s should have 4-5? lbs of downward pressure on the stock forend. The shims restore this functionality as the stocks compressed from use or other reasons.

Same with the repairs made to M1 stocks to restore lock up...
There are lots of rules that don't add up but thems the rules.
I don't agree to the new service rifle rules that do not separate irons from optics ?
Hmm I wonder if I can shoot iron sights in the vintage sniper class?

Same with the repairs made to M1 stocks to restore lock up...
There are lots of rules that don't add up but thems the rules.
I don't agree to the new service rifle rules that do not separate irons from optics ?
Hmm I wonder if I can shoot iron sights in the vintage sniper class?

Riddle me this.. SA rebuilds featured bedded stocks. Would this be grounds for a DQ?

Here is one of mine

http://i.imgur.com/jDay0p7.png

Riddle me this.. SA rebuilds featured bedded stocks. Would this be grounds for a DQ?

Here is one of mine

http://i.imgur.com/jDay0p7.png

yes it would...... not to long ago A competitor was DQ'd for having repair shims in the trigger guard area......
I dont know what SA rebiulds actually "bedded" rebuilds.....maybe in the late year rebuilds they where using any stocks available including National Match stocks?

Also as far as what the armories did during rebuilds is always not known. especially with the later years and the shipping and swapping of parts from one to the other to get jobs completed....

but in a nut shell yes any "bedding" glue, shims or foriegn material in the "bedding" area are a DQ....any other stock repair is ok though as long as original demensions where with in spec.
as issued M1 rules
Stocks must be as-issued stocks or replacement stocks with the same
dimensions. Laminated stocks and stocks made of synthetic materials
are prohibited. Broken or cracked as-issued stocks may be repaired
with the use of epoxies or other chemical adhesives, provided the
original as-issued stock dimensions are not changed and no epoxy,
adhesive or reinforcing material is used in or on any of the bedding
surfaces for the rifle action or barrel.

this has been cleared up by the cmp to include "Any" re arsenal repairs in the bedding areas....

Last edited:
yes it would...... not to long ago A competitor was DQ'd for having repair shims in the trigger guard area......
I dont know what SA rebiulds actually "bedded" rebuilds.....maybe in the late year rebuilds they where using any stocks available including National Match stocks?

I own 2 SA rebuilds... an SA (5-65) and a Winchster (2-65) . Both have the bedded stock and fresh DAS stamps on them. One has a DAS stamp next to the original DAS stamp.

http://i.imgur.com/84iMFL7.png

I'll make a new thread on this rifle. Best/nicest CMP rifle I ever got.

Edit, be the arsenal bedding as it may, I'm thinking this would qualify for a DQ

Last edited:
I own 2 SA rebuilds... an SA (5-65) and a Winchster (2-65) . Both have the bedded stock and fresh DAS stamps on them. One has a DAS stamp next to the original DAS stamp.

http://i.imgur.com/84iMFL7.png

I'll make a new thread on this rifle. Best/nicest CMP rifle I ever got.

Edit, be the arsenal bedding as it may, I'm thinking this would qualify for a DQ

would not surprise me if they are NM stocks...
Even in the 1966 over haul manual the only repair they show for bedding is filing down the trigger group seat for swollen wood.
a I have a weapons department over haul manual at home but forget which date.
Also we have no idea what happened to any rebuilds once they left the arsenal....yes you might have a leg electro penciled on your receiver SA 65 but for all we know it could have been a barreled action by the time it got to the cmp, greece, turkey or where ever else the M1s ventured in their lives....

remeber the M1 national match program was terminated in 1963 and the rifles returned to inventory to be put back into general rotation and 1963 specs. So there where many many astocks Im sure that where used and eneded up on "GI" rifles.

Last edited:
From what I understand and have researched the bedding is a hallmark of the SA rebuild stocks/M1s....along with the unique deep grey with a hint of green park job.

Both the SA and Winchester I have look like twins.. It's pretty neat.

From what I understand and have researched the bedding is a hallmark of the SA rebuild stocks/M1s....along with the unique deep grey with a hint of green park job.

Both the SA and Winchester I have look like twins.. It's pretty neat.

i like the green tint..... im waiting on a 1903a3 from a fellow shooter to find its way to me..... the "green" park looks really cool on this rifle with the blued parts against it.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason to avoid WW2 era? I had thought about requesting a WW2 era SA, but I was thinking that due to the demands of production and other factors, there might known issues or a general quality disparity compared to postwar. My only other experience with this is Mosin Nagants and hex vs. round receiver, markings on the tools, etc.

Other than nostalgia, is there any reason to desire or avoid that timeframe?

Out of curiosity, is there any reason to avoid WW2 era? I had thought about requesting a WW2 era SA, but I was thinking that due to the demands of production and other factors, there might known issues or a general quality disparity compared to postwar. My only other experience with this is Mosin Nagants and hex vs. round receiver, markings on the tools, etc.

No. There's an overwhelming chance that the WW2 specific parts (lock bar sights, uncut op rod) will have been replaced with post war components. Also a good chance the barrel would have been replaced once or even twice in the receiver's lifetime. Receivers didn't change much during the M1 lifecycle. There is no "unsafe to shoot" range like the 1903. Some guys like the WW2 serial numbers because.....ww2.... Can't argue with that.

Statistically you're more likely to receive a WW2 S/N from the CMP vs a postwar SA or HRA. SA probably made 3million rifles in WW2 and earlier... compared to the entire run of HRAs at 300-320k, iirc.

As a side note, the 1950's HRA rifles are known for the best "fit and finish", mostly because they were produced by an experienced firearms manufacturer in peace time conditions. IHC rifles of the same era are a different story, they were plagued by difficulties for essentially the entire run. That's what happens when you contract a tractor company to build rifles.

Last edited:

as for a CMP service grade SA yes you might see some tooling marks and suxh but for the most part your rifle will have had the past 70 years to be brought into spec at some point in the many trips to the armory. You will not be getting a unissued M1 from the cmp through luck of the draw.....someone really screwed up in your favor if you do.

Dont be afraid of the WWII guns..... IIRC the winchesters where the worst of the bunch in early days of production.... then there is the other manufactures like IHC had their problems when cutting their teeth on production... its all good.

I have a 1942 SA with a 1942 barrel and perion correct bolt and op rod.... the rest is all post war up grades. stamp triiger plate, non lock bar sights post war gas cylinder and lock screw....has a late 40s stock. the stock is a loose fit and really keeps the gun from shooting well. if I put the action in my new wood stock it will shoot much much better.

Last edited:
No. There's an overwhelming chance that the WW2 specific parts (lock bar sights, uncut op rod) will have been replaced with post war components. Also a good chance the barrel would have been replaced once or even twice in the receiver's lifetime. Receivers didn't change much during the M1 lifecycle. There is no "unsafe to shoot" range like the 1903. Some guys like the WW2 serial numbers because.....ww2.... Can't argue with that.

Statistically you're more likely to receive a WW2 S/N from the CMP vs a postwar SA or HRA. SA probably made 3million rifles in WW2 and earlier... compared to the entire run of HRAs at 300-320k, iirc.

As a side note, the 1950's HRA rifles are known for the best "fit and finish", mostly because they were produced by an experienced firearms manufacturer in peace time conditions. IHC rifles of the same era are a different story, they were plagued by difficulties for essentially the entire run. That's what happens when you contract a tractor company to build rifles.

Yes, I figured the receiver could be WW2 and the rest would likely be mixmaster, which is OK with me. I did hear the HRAs were nice. I read an article a while back on IHC's Garands, it was pretty interesting. Were they they only one who went with justified text at some point (U.S. RIFLE, CAL. .30 M1, etc.) rather than centered? I figured I'd just request Springfield with a WW2 s/n. I just didn't know if they were considered rougher or otherwise not the best, or more likely to fail.

as for a CMP service grade SA yes you might see some tooling marks and suxh but for the most part your rifle will have had the past 70 years to be brought into spec at some point in the many trips to the armory. You will not be getting a unissued M1 from the cmp through luck of the draw.....someone really screwed up in your favor if you do.

Dont be afraid of the WWII guns..... IIRC the winchesters where the worst of the bunch in early days of production.... then there is the other manufactures like IHC had their problems when cutting their teeth on production... its all good.

I have a 1942 SA with a 1942 barrel and perion correct bolt and op rod.... the rest is all post war up grades. stamp triiger plate, non lock bar sights post war gas cylinder and lock screw....has a late 40s stock. the stock is a loose fit and really keeps the gun from shooting well. if I put the action in my new wood stock it will shoot much much better.
That's good. On my '43 91/30 you can kind of tell that they were rushing a little, but it's not really bad or unsafe or anything. Just maybe not quite as pretty as a pre-war hex receiver where they could afford to take their time.

I had heard the Winchesters were popular (for the name, I guess) but generally not considered to be the nicest. As I mentioned above, I did read a little about IHC's foray into M1s.

Do you guys have any book or media recommendations on M1s? Do I recall correctly that the CMP ships them with a book or something (maybe it was a DVD)? I'd rather begin reading now though. As much as I love autumn I kind of want the holidays to come so I can hopefully get my bonus and send an order :)

You'll pay a premium for the winchester name (same w/ Carbines, too). Even a mixmaster with the only Winchester part being the receiver will command another $2-3 more than an similar SA mixmaster.

IHC had a number of different receiver manufacturers and roll marks. At times, HRA and SA provided IHC receivers.

Good article here https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/10/27/the-international-harvester-m1-garand-rifle/

The collectors go nuts over the "gap letter" IHCs.

Good books are the Scott Duff book (He has seperate WW2 and post-war books) and also the Poyer and Reisch book

You'll pay a premium for the winchester name (same w/ Carbines, too). Even a mixmaster with the only Winchester part being the receiver will command another $2-3 more than an similar SA mixmaster.

IHC had a number of different receiver manufacturers and roll marks. At times, HRA and SA provided IHC receivers.

Good article here https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/10/27/the-international-harvester-m1-garand-rifle/

The collectors go nuts over the "gap letter" IHCs.

Good books are the Scott Duff book (He has seperate WW2 and post-war books) and also the Poyer and Reisch book

Thanks. "Gap letter" was the term I was looking for over "justified text." I'll look for those books.

Back
Top Bottom