• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Had to do it...DELIVERED 9/16/16

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Having sold another piece of the collection, I broke down and mailed an order into CMP for a Service Grade Garand. This is hoping the son wants to graduate from the carbine to the Garand, and I figured I'd better get one while they were available. They've been sold out several times over the last couple of years; the latest since the spring. I refused to pay $1,000-1,500 for ex-CMPs on GunBroker or the various forums. I simply remailed the same letter I did in the spring when I missed the deadline.

I 'requested' Springfield, WW2 serial and GI wood, although they still say 'luck of the draw. If its not to my liking, I can always flip it.

T

Last edited:
why not! hey at least the price has not gone up..... dont forget to order as much HXP tins as you can....thats not going to be around to long either. I see a yearly limit reduction before it runs out though...ohh a a price hike is bound to happen on the ammo?
Cant wait to see what you get Tim and how long it takes.
for me the quickest turnaround from mail in to receive was 17 days.... longest was jan 2 mail in to received on july 3

honestly im tempted to sell my ARs i never use on GB and buy some more M1s.... I like them better

Last edited:
why not! hey at least the price has not gone up..... dont forget to order as much HXP tins as you can....thats not going to be around to long either. I see a yearly limit reduction before it runs out though...ohh a a price hike is bound to happen on the ammo?
Cant wait to see what you get Tim and how long it takes.
for me the quickest turnaround from mail in to receive was 17 days.... longest was jan 2 mail in to received on july 3

I would have ordered one if I wasn't looking for a DW 744 revolver.

Are the spam cans still in stock? Edit: looks like just the loose 200rd ammo cans are in stock.

Last edited:
Well, too late for that one. I have about 30 self-loaded en-blocks and 50 strippers in the ammo safe, but am starting to get low on loose HXP. Maybe I should get a loose can.

T

Just ordered 2 cans @6:30.

Last edited:
Well, too late for that one. I have about 30 self-loaded en-blocks and 50 strippers in the ammo safe, but am starting to get low on loose HXP. Maybe I should get a loose can.

T

Just ordered 2 cans @6:30.

If the spam cans are gone. I'd almost consider just buying the 500 rounds (in 50 cal ammo can) of "new" PPU Garand ammo for $370 shipped....extra $30 compared to the loose HXP....

I'm well stocked on 30-06. My comment/suggestion was for people looking for ammo now.

If the spam cans are gone. I'd almost consider just buying the 500 rounds (in 50 cal ammo can) of "new" PPU Garand ammo for $370 shipped....extra $30 compared to the loose HXP....

I'm well stocked on 30-06. My comment/suggestion was for people looking for ammo now.

Have you seen any PPU around?

Didn't see that option, but I've always been happy with HXP.

T

The PPU I shot was very good. I crony tested 20 rounds and had a SD of 18fps. HXP lots I have tested did not do as well. 1968 lot was the best at SD 37.
Also I found flyers to be less of a issue with PPU.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't very clear with my post[laugh]. The ammo I was referring to is from other online ammo vendors....

- - - Updated - - -

Yes.

Cool....

The PPU I shot was very good. I crony tested 20 rounds and had a SD of 18fps. HXP lots I have tested did not do as well. 1968 lot was the best at SD 37.
Also I found flyers to be less of a issue with PPU.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool....

That's good news regarding the PPU. How's the brass for reloading? For me, HXP has been very good. I don't care for LC.

Another Garand is tempting...

Noticed this tidbit on the main page...

ORDER STATUS: Currently, most orders are shipping within 2-4 weeks.

...if true, they have picked up the slack.

Got my 500 rounds of Aguila today; 5 days from ordering.

T

That's good news regarding the PPU. How's the brass for reloading? For me, HXP has been very good. I don't care for LC.

Another Garand is tempting...

I've only reloaded the PPU cases twice. So far so good. Though I can't say the same for their magnum pistol brass....junk.

The two cans of HXP came today, six days after ordering. A double handful from one can showed all '78 head stamps, the other was a mix of 71, 76, 78, and a lone '65.

No DBE email yet. Nothing in the eStore either. Saw some posts in the CMP forum where Garands were shipping in two days (!).

T

honestly im tempted to sell my ARs i never use on GB and buy some more M1s.... I like them better

I think you'll see better appreciation over time with a M1 than an AR15. In a worst case scenario, given the current political climate, I can see them being outright banned at some point down the road.

T

I noticed they were available again after I had already put money down for a different non-M1 acquisition. I honestly half expected them not to come back. I've probably missed the train on good priced options for Garands. I guess there's always CMP matches to try to scratch that itch. With the cost/availability of appropriate 30-06 (based on what I've read) I'm not sure how often I'd get to take it out.

With the cost/availability of appropriate 30-06 (based on what I've read) I'm not sure how often I'd get to take it out.

well if you're buying the rifle from CMP you can also buy the appropriate ammo directly from them as well and its about 60 cents/round as I recall. Otherwise its really not hard to find.

well if you're buying the rifle from CMP you can also buy the appropriate ammo directly from them as well and its about 60 cents/round as I recall. Otherwise its really not hard to find.

I thought I had heard the Garand shouldn't take current production loads as they're too hot or something. Maybe this is overstated. I guess you could always reload your own.

I thought I had heard the Garand shouldn't take current production loads as they're too hot or something. Maybe this is overstated. I guess you could always reload your own.

Some are too hot or use powder/projectiles that could damage it but many manufacturers are producing garand safe ammo like Federal, PPU, I think Wolf even does now.

Back
Top Bottom